Synthetic hair extensions have many benefits for your appearance, as it is the fastest way to immediately transform your hairstyle.
Yet in the case that you want a little bit change by adding some curls to it, synthetic hair is notoriously tricky to curl.
This is because synthetic hair is made of essential plastic and can melt when exposed to high heat.
So how can you curl synthetic hair extensions without heat? Luckily there are several alternative ways to do that as effective as heat for you, so stay tuned.
- 1 How to curl synthetic hair extensions with hot water?
- 2 How to curl synthetic hair with flexi rods?
- 3 How to curl synthetic hair with a wand?
- 4 How to get hair extensions to hold curls?
- 5 How to curl synthetic hair with a flat iron?
- 6 Why won’t my extensions curl?
- 7 Conclusion
How to curl synthetic hair extensions with hot water?
This is the simplest method that you can do right away at your home. Just prepare some easily accessible ingredients at your home, and a bowl of hot water, then you’re good.
Things you’ll need
- Cream-based moisturizer (or olive oil will do)
- Perm rods
- Step 1: Squirt a little cream-based moisturizer onto the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together and run the moisturizer through your synthetic hair. The moisturizer will help the synthetic hair hold the curl.
- Step 2: Divide your hair into a small section and roll it up and onto a perm rod.
- Step 3: Fill a mug 2/3 full with water and heat it for about 1 minute. Carefully dip each perm rod with hair into the hot water and hold it in the mug for about 15 to 20 seconds. Lift the perm rod out and dip each of the other perm rods in one at a time
- Step 4: Keep the hair in the perm rods and let them cool and dry completely. If you want to sleep with the perm rods in so your curls set overnight, just wear a protective cap.
- Step 5: Once the hair has dried completely around the perm rods, gently remove them. The curls will probably be tight and springy when pulled.
How to curl synthetic hair with flexi rods?
Flexi rods are also very effective for curling plastic-based synthetic hair extensions. Follow step by step the instruction, and eventually, you will get beautiful curls on your synthetic hair.
Things you’ll need
- Flexi-rods (any size by your desire)
- Hot water
- Step 1: Start brushing from the bottom to the top, not the way around, as it will cause the hair to tangle, and you don’t want that to happen.
- Step 2: Separate the hair and wrap around the flexi-rod. As you begin to wrap, twist the hair as you wrap so the curl won’t be so flat.
- Step 3: Take a bowl of hot water. Dip the synthetic hair in the water and let it sit for 10-15 seconds.
- Step 4: Place the synthetic hair on a towel to dry out the water.
- Step 5: as the synthetic hair is completely dry, unwrap the hair. The unwrapped curls should be bouncy, depending on how close you wrapped the hair you can have a tight or loose curl.
How to curl synthetic hair with a wand?
A curling wand is a typical way to curl your hair, and to apply it for synthetic hair, you’ll need some trick to keep your synthetic hair extensions from melting.
Things you’ll need
- Curling wand
- Heat thermal spray
- Shampoo and conditioner for synthetic wigs
- Wide-tooth comb
- Styling clips
- Step 1: Wash your piece with shampoo and conditioner; this will ensure you are working with a clean base.
- Step 2: Spray your piece with thermal heat spray to protect your synthetic hair extensions from any heat damage.
- Step 3: Set your curling wand, to no more than 350 degrees.
- Step 4: While your tool is heating, section your piece and hold the sections down with styling clips
- Step 5: Wrap your hair around the curling wand and count to 15. This will allow the heat to penetrate the hair and curl it. You will then release the hair from the curling iron. Use the styling clip to hold the shape of the curl and attach it to the cap until cool.
- Step 6: Once complete, you can release the curls and separate them to your desired style.
How to get hair extensions to hold curls?
Obviously, the next question after you made your synthetic hair extensions done with curls is how to maintain the curls to be long-lasting? The trick below will help you with that.
Things you’ll need
- Hair curling tongs
- A styling mousse/serum
- Hair clips
- Step 1: Apply a little stronghold mousse or curling cream to your extensions to define them better. This will smooth down stray hair strands and help them hold shape.
- Step 2: Curl the extensions with a heated hair styling tool. Never use plastic rollers. Your curls will go limp in minutes. Slip the strands into the curling tongs. They slide out in perfect curls when you run the tongs through your hair.
- Step 3: Swirl the curl around your finger and pin it up in a curl using a hair clip. Repeat with the remaining hair sections. Leave it on for as long as possible, preferably overnight, for long-lasting curls.
- Step 4: Next day, curl your own hair using the same styling products in the same order: Apply curling mousse or serum, run the curling tongs through your strands parted in manageable sections. Clip up the coiled curls to your scalp. Unpin after they are cooled down.
- Step 5: Unpin the curled extensions. Clip them on the way you always do. Brush all your hair fitted with the extensions, so they blend well.
If you have fine hair, arrange the curls with your fingers instead. Spritz a light hairspray to hold it all together. Avoid using a strong hairspray on your extension. They will turn sticky and hard.
How to curl synthetic hair with a flat iron?
The process with a flat iron for curly hair is identical to a curling iron. But with the heat is produced by a flat iron, you can easily heat up the synthetic hair without damage it if you manage it carefully.
Things you’ll need
- Flat iron
- Cylindrical object (like a stick, marker pen)
- Step 1: Brushing the synthetic hair thoroughly
- Step 2: Put a heated flit iron on a top of a small section of hair and drag it down slowly. To make good curls, it is important to give enough heat. The optimum temperature is around 210 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius).
- Step 3: After passing the heat, it’s the turn of the cylindrical object. Wind the stick round and round to the hair quickly within before the hair gets cold. Then wait in this state until the hair cools off.
- Step 4: Unwarp the curl, you will see the curl has been formed successfully.
Why won’t my extensions curl?
If you have purchased hair extensions and noticed it does not hold a curl very well, there are several reasons why this can happen and discuss a few tips and tricks to help hold the curl for longer.
Chinese hair is generally known to be completely straight and very stubborn, especially when it comes to curling hair extensions.
When purchasing a new set of extensions, no two sets of hair extensions will ever be the same.
This is due to the hair donor, and its another reason why the hair may not hold a curl well, as some Chinese hair can be more courser in texture than others, which results in curling the hair seems nearly impossible.
Synthetic hair extensions are fun, aren’t they? They add volume, length, a splash of color, hide a bad haircut, and give you that perfect hair for a special occasion.
With all of the methods above, you can be relieved to add more unique features of curls to your synthetic hair extensions without damage as well as effectively hold it for a long time.