Patrick Bateman Haircut
Published by Annie
- The Patrick Bateman haircut is a slick-back style with ear-length sides, a neck-length back, and a combed-over top.
- It’s been associated with the pompadour created by Madame de Pompadour, but it rose to popularity when used as the staple style of American Psycho’s Patrick Bateman.
- This style suits any hair and face shape, but it’s one of the best options for oblong faces with straight hair.
- Easy is an understatement, as you only need to wash, use a hair dryer, and brush over to achieve Bateman’s hairstyle.
The movie adaptation of American Psycho has had its fair share of time in the spotlight, as it was awarded the International Horror Guild Best Movie in 2001 and the Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Wide-Release Film that same year.
Besides that, the American Psycho protagonist, Patrick Bateman, portrayed by Christian Bale, has made his mark in the hearts of many, increasing in popularity over the years.
It’s not just his charisma that’s won people over, as this fictional character has become synonymous with the perfect hairstyle that people strive to copy.
So, if you want to get ahead of your Wall Street competition with Patrick Bateman’s hairstyle, here is a guide on how to work the actual cut and help you achieve the killer looks of Patrick Bateman.
What is the Patrick Bateman haircut called?
The Patrick Bateman haircut is the slicked-back cut, which is characterized by the following hairstyle details:
- Ear-length hair on the rims;
- Neck-length hair at the back; and
- Combed over longer hair at the top
Patrick Bateman’s haircut is described as eye-catching, clean, and slick. The hairstyle perfectly complements his pristine physical appearance.
The slicked style is similar to the old-time pompadour because it’s combed backward, a look birthed by the creative mind of Madame de Pompadour and later worn by French men and royals. 
However, the Patrick Bateman haircut look is a reinvention of the old pomp for men as it doesn’t have as much volume at the top of the head.
Patrick Bateman haircut styles
The American Psycho Patrick Bateman haircut does not have much variation throughout the film and sticks to the stylish slicked back.
It is a timeless hairstyle that suits men of any face shape and hair type as long as a hair spray, a pomade, and a brush are used to comb the hair up.
Sometimes, a hair dryer is needed to achieve a Patrick Bateman haircut. It should not be a problem for straight hair, but it can be challenging to manage for those of you with curly types without supplementary hair products.
Yet, if you have stubborn hair, straight or not, we suggest asking for help from your trusted barber to get the iconic Patrick Bateman haircut.
Aside from the right tools, what is essential is the right place to swoosh the slicked-back hair.
For the Patrick Bateman haircut, the styling leans more on the right side as it is the flattering angle of Christian Bale.
Christian Bale also has an oblong face shape, and the Patrick Bateman haircut suits him best. The haircut of the American Psycho lead is an appropriate style for oblong shapes as it minimizes the length of his facial features.
As seen in the image, it is helpful in creating volume, making the cheek part have a reasonable width, and solving the issues of an oblong face.
The Patrick Bateman haircut emphasizes the texture at the top of the hair to redefine his face shape. It would be best to have different lengths and cutting angles on the top of the head to better execute voluminous tresses.
Despite the consistency, one of the scenes in the movie American Psycho shows him having a middle part with his medium-length hair, veering slightly from the slicked look.
It is also a nice touch that makes oblong-shaped faces look wider and creates an illusion of dimension for a more pleasing appearance.
The fringes help highlight the cheekbones and jawline to add symmetry to the face shape and make you look and feel younger every time you get a cut.
How to get the Patrick Bateman haircut?
Getting the Patrick Bateman haircut from the movie American Psycho is simple and direct. It does not need complex procedures.
We know how excited you are about getting this iconic haircut to match your outfit for a casual day out with friends or a formal gathering.
Worry no more because here is a general step-by-step guide you can try for yourself or with the help of your barber.
Of course, you can still tweak the steps to add your personal touch to show your creativity and personality. Here it goes:
- First, wash your hair.
- Second, lather your hair with the Tea Tree Special Shampoo for oily hair or the Tea Tree Lavender Mint Shampoo for dry hair strands.
- Third, rinse and apply a conditioner. You can use the Mikita Naturals Conditioner with Biotin or a leave-in conditioner like the Paul Mitchell The Conditioner Original Leave-In.
- Fourth, dry and set the hair using a Microfiber Hair Turban and Towel or the Conair hair dryer.
- Next, comb your hair using the Mars Wellness 4 Piece Professional Comb Set to detangle the wet hair.
- Afterward, cut your hair in a short length using the Equinox Professional Hair Scissors or the Philips Norelco Multigroomer All-in-One Trimmer Series. Ensure the hair on top is longer than the back and the sides.
- Seventh, apply the Suavecito Pomade Original Hold equally among the parts of your hair. But you can put extra pomade on the top front part.
- Eighth, comb over your hair in a slicked-back manner using the Mens Wild Boar Bristle Hair Brush. Also, blow dry your hair while combing it to get the specific style of Patrick Bateman hair.
- Lastly, wear that killer smile or stoic look with the confidence that only a good haircut can provide, and feel the power as you spend your day thinking about running Wall Street.
If you want to deviate from the typical Wall Street styling presented in the pictures above, we recommend adding faded and tapered sides, a middle part, or a shape-up.
REMEMBER: The trick to remember is that you can choose to not cut your hair if you are trying to grow it out.
How much is a Patrick Bateman haircut?
A simple haircut, like slicked-back hair, costs $30 to $60. However, it can still go higher depending on the following considerations:
- The hair products used by the barber
- The barber’s professional fee
- The set of tools used by the barber
- The place where you got your cut
Nevertheless, when you do it yourself (DIY), you can spend less than the given price range because you can use your sister’s blow dryer and kitchen scissors.
You only need to worry about regularly buying a pomade to maintain the style.
We know you have many questions in mind that you hope we can answer in this article.
Here are the answers to some of your frequently asked questions on the topic.
Can I Get Patrick Bateman Haircut With Curly Hair?
Yes, you can definitely get the iconic slick style of Patrick Bateman with curly hair.
As mentioned earlier, this popular style is perfect for men regardless of hair type. To achieve smooth styling, you only need to follow the abovementioned steps.
It also wouldn’t hurt to give your hair some love by caring for it through washing, moisturizing, and combing it properly to get your desired style.
Is the Patrick Bateman Haircut Good for Growing Out Hair?
Yes, this Wall Street-worthy haircut is suitable for growing out hair.
The steps we provided above include the cutting part. But you can skip it if you are satisfied with your hair’s length, especially if you’re trying to grow it.
The Patrick Bateman haircut is often equated to and synonymous with a perfect cut, a look that’s a bit playful but remains more clean and straightforward.
If you are pushing for this style, it’s essential to understand that you need the brush, the pomade, the shampoo and conditioner, moisturizing products, and a lot of love for your hair.
So, get your tools, or go to your barber and copy Patrick Bateman’s popular style!
Author of this article: Annie
Hairdresser, Hairstyle Specialist
As a hairdresser with a specialization in creating versatile and trendy hairstyles, I cater to clients of all ages, hair types, and personal styles. With a wealth of knowledge and five years of experience working in a high-end beauty salon, I’m excited to welcome you to our site and extend my gratitude for visiting!
Drawing from my years of experience crafting my own unique hairstyles and providing guidance on selecting the perfect hair products for different hair types, I have joined forces with Aida to broaden our reach and connect with a larger audience.