The 15 Best Shampoos and Conditioners for Synthetic Wigs 2022
Getting creative and experimenting with wigs is a whole lot of fun. You can change up your entire look with different colored pieces.
With synthetic wigs, you can go from sweet and girly pale blonde curls to bold and seductive deep violet waves in a matter of seconds.
But it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. Maintaining a wig collection also means putting in the effort to take care of them properly.
And it’s never for naught—excellent wig care helps extend the lifespan of your wigs and will keep them looking gorgeous for as long as possible.
One of the most basic ways to care for your wigs is to shampoo and condition them regularly. It helps keep them clean, shiny, and wearable without the smelly odors from sweat and pollution.
Washing your wigs is the key to having them around for a while.
Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo & Revitalizing Conditioner
- Designed for both synthetic and natural hair
- Removes makeup, oils and sweat
- Revitalizes and adds shiness
Awesome Synthetic Wig Shampoo
- Perfect for hydration and moisture
- Provides smoothness and silkiness
- Effective at cleaning buildups
Awesome Synthetic Wig Leave-in conditioning Spray
- Organic coconut oil usage
- Conditioning spray for wigs
- Doesn’t leave thick and greasy films
What’s the proper hair care for synthetic wigs?
While human hair needs a lot more time and attention, synthetic wigs are easier to maintain and care for.
That said, there are still many rules you have to keep in mind to retain your wigs’ longevity and keep their integrity intact.
One of the most significant rules you need to follow is never allowing your synthetic wigs to come into contact with anything extremely hot, be it boiling water or heat-styling tools.
This can make the synthetic fibers bend and shrivel up, resulting in tangles and dents in your otherwise smooth wig.
You should also avoid rubbing your wig against anything that can cause static and friction. This can cause frizz and damage your wig permanently.
And when this happens, it’s pretty impossible to rectify. That’s why many wig products are designed to be anti-static.
And lastly, you need to keep your wigs clean. If not, there will be many product buildup and remnants from pollution, making the synthetic hair look dull and even smell foul and dirty.
You should wash your wig every 4-6 weeks, but if you use your wig daily, you should do so more often, like every week or two.
You’ll also want to increase your washes’ frequency if you live in a hot climate because sweat will likely transfer over to your wig.
How do you shampoo and condition wigs properly?
It’s best to use shampoos and conditioners designed primarily for synthetic wigs so that you get the best benefits for the makeup of your wig.
Shampoos will clean oils and dirt from each strand, while conditioners will bring back bounce, softness, and shine.
Before washing your wig, make sure to brush it out gently to remove all the tangles and knots. This helps make the cleaning process smoother and more hassle-free.
Fill up your sink with cold water and add a tablespoon of your wig shampoo. Slowly immerse your wig into the water and use your fingers to run through the wig strands to clean it.
Massage the cap areas that touch your skin to make sure you get rid of all the sweat, and makeup stuck there. Once you’re all done, rinse all the soap out, pat dry with a towel, and put it up on your wig stand.
Now, it’s time to condition the hair. Take some wig conditioner into your palm and warm it up by rubbing your hands together.
Carefully apply it onto the synthetic strands, focusing more on the mid-lengths and ends instead of the cap area.
Some conditioners can be sprayed on, which is more convenient and faster to do. A leave-in spray also minimizes stress on the synthetic fibers since you’re touching them less.
When you’re all done, leave the wig to air-dry on the stand.
Can I use my regular shampoo on synthetic wigs?
Your wigs have a different structure from human hair—they won’t suck up vitamins and nutrients the way your natural hair does.
So using your lovely personal shampoo on wigs might just be pointless and a waste of resources.
You also run the risk of creating product buildup on the strands of your wig, since they can’t absorb those human hair-loving ingredients.
If you don’t have a wig shampoo, you can always turn to dish soap or baby shampoo. To condition the hair, a good alternative is fabric softener—after all, synthetic fibers are fabric too.
But at the end of the day, the best hair care products for your wigs are those designed explicitly for them. Here are some of the best shampoos and conditioners for synthetic wigs:
Top 15 Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Synthetic Wigs
1. Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo & Revitalizing Conditioner
While this shampoo and conditioner combo was designed for both natural and synthetic hair, they offer some more beneficial qualities for your synthetic wigs.
The shampoo is non-static, which means it reduces the risk of friction and frizz ruining your wig. It cleanses thoroughly and removes makeup, lacquer, oils, and sweat from the wig.
- Non-static shampoo
- Perfect for wigs and natural hair
- Ensures softness and smoothness
- Adds shiness and removes dullness
Meanwhile, the revitalizing conditioner adds shine and softness to your wig to bring it back to life from dullness and roughness.
- Repairs split ends and damaged hair
- Provides needed nutrients and vitamins
- Deeply cleanses and moisturizes
- Contains silicone
2. Awesome Synthetic Wig Shampoo
If your wig is feeling a bit dehydrated and thirsty, you can replenish its moisture levels with this shampoo by Awesome. It hydrates your wig with one soak, promoting smoothness, silkiness, and shine simultaneously.
- Deeply nourishing conditioner
- Promotes softness and smoothness
- Effective at cleaning buildups
- Works nice with chemically treated hair
Because it’s so effective at cleaning out product buildup in your wig, it also creates more volume and body in the strands, making it bigger and bolder for your next glamorous costume.
- Combats hair damage and dryness
- Increase hair elasticity
- Makes your locks nice and soft
- Doesn’t work great with oily hair
3. Awesome Synthetic Wig Leave-in Conditioning Spray
Follow up the previous shampoo with this convenient leave-in conditioning spray from Awesome.
This wig conditioner is formulated with coconut oil to add moisture and shine back to your hair after cleansing it. It’s a great way to nourish synthetic hair without leaving a thick and greasy film over it.
- Enriched with coconut oil
- Extra moisturizing formula
- Makes your hair shinier
- Leave-in conditioner
This conditioning spray makes combing your fingers through your wig easier. It ensures that your wig has no tangles and knots for the next time you use it.
- Delivers plenty of hydration
- Build bounce and volume
- Makes your hair perfectly looking
- The packaging might be broken
4. Beautimark Shampoo & Leave-in Conditioner
This cleansing duo from Beautimark is free of parabens, which can be toxic not just on your wig but also on your sensitive skin when you wear your headpiece.
While the shampoo cleanses your wig to get rid of all the impurities stuck from sweat and pollution, the leave-in conditioner makes it smooth and tangle-free.
- Free of parabens and harsh chemicals
- You won’t run out easily
- Works great with sensitive skin
- Deeply cleanses all the impurities
A little goes a long way with these products. You only need a bit of shampoo to clean your whole wig, and the same goes for the conditioning spray. That means you won’t run out fairly quickly.
- Doesn’t have sulfates, oils, gluten or other chemicals
- Deeply nourishes your hair
- Does a great deal cleansing your scalp
- Not the best for oily hair
5. Jon Renau Fiber Love Shampoo
This shampoo by Jon Renau is made with parabens and sulfates, so you don’t have to worry about drying out your wig as you cleanse it. Instead, it washes gunk and grime away gently but effectively.
Using this will leave your wig looking super shiny and glossy but without any waxy, greasy residue sitting on the surface of its strands.
- Smells light and pleasant
- Doesn’t leave any waxy and greasy residue
- Doesn’t dry out your wigs
- Gently cleanses your hair
It also makes your wig smell light and pleasant, never overwhelmingly perfume-y.
- Does a great deal moisturizing
- Softens and hydrates your scalp and hair
- Makes your hair easy to detangle
- Might get a spilled bottle
6. Jon Renau Fiber Love Conditioning Spray
This conditioning spray is best used in conjunction with its matching shampoo mentioned above. It’s also formulated without harsh sulfates and parabens, so you won’t get stuck with stiff, rough hair strands on your wig.
- Formulated with no harsh chemicals and parabens
- Makes your hair soft and shiny
- Restores the shine
- Doesn’t dry out your hair
It smoothens out your locks and detangles it sufficiently so that it stays soft and silky for multiple wears. It also restores the shine that comes with luxurious, high-quality wigs.
- Deeply nourishes your hair
- Controls frizz and softens your hair
- Provides all the necessary nutrients for hair
- Has a changed formula
7. African Essence Control Wig Shampoo
African Essence’s wig shampoo is designed for both human and synthetic hair. It’s made to gently wash out impurities locked in your hair strands while providing it with healthy moisture and bounce.
This shampoo is so moisturizing that you don’t even necessarily need to follow up with a conditioner.
- Provides healthy moisture and bounce
- Doesn’t need a conditioner
- Works great with all types of hair
- Superior levels of hydration
You’ll find that the hydration levels are superior after washing, so you can air-dry and use them immediately without doing much else.
- Packes your hair with nutrients
- Strengthens your hair
- Makes your hair shinier and deeply moisturized
- Not the best consistency
8. Hairobics Unlimited All Day Synthetic Wig Shampoo
This shampoo by Hairobics Unlimited does everything in its power to extend the life of your synthetic wig. It’s made with coconut oil to moisturize your wig and keep it healthy, elastic, and breakage-free.
- Perfect for healthy, elastic wigs
- Infused with coconut oil
- Breakage-free formula
- Makes your hair more voluminous
It adds body and lusciousness to the hair, making it look more voluminous. It also leaves a fresh feeling on your wig, so your wig won’t feel heavy next time you use it, even if there’s more volume in the strands.
- Leaves a nice tropical scent
- Rejuvenates and invigorates your hair
- Fortifies and prevents breakage
- Contains a sulfate
9. Hairobics Unlimited All Day Leave-in Conditioning Synthetic Wig Spray
After cleansing with the shampoo above, bring back some luster with this conditioning spray. It’s also infused with coconut oil to add shine and hydration to your wig’s strands.
- Conditioning leave-in spray
- Infused with coconut oil for extra moisture
- Helps with knots and tangles
- Deep moisturizing effect
This leave-in spray helps to make combing through the strands of your wig a lot easier. So if you often have troubles with knots and tangles in your fave wig, this spray will be your new best friend.
- Provides deep nourishment
- Leaves a nice and shiny look
- Works with only organic ingredients
- Many customers didn’t like the smell
10. SheaMoisture Residue Remover Shampoo
This sulfate-free shampoo by SheaMoisture was made not just for wigs, but also for weaves and extensions. It’s made with tea tree oil and borage seed oil to clarify your wig’s strands and eliminate stubborn residue and dirt.
- Infused with tea tree oil
- Provides high levels of hydration
- Borage seed oil for nourishment
- Detoxifies and purifies your hair
It also has an aloe vera to retain the shine and keep hydration levels healthy, even as the hair is being purified and detoxified.
- Lightly hydrates your hair follicles
- Uses only natural and organic ingredients
- Strengthens your hair
- Strong perfume
11. DeMert Wig & Weave System Shampoo
This shampoo by DeMert cleanses your wig to get rid of sebum, and other impurities stuck on the cap and strands from your last costume party.
It also deodorizes your wig to eliminate foul smells from pollution or sweat.
- Gets rid of sebum
- Protects wig’s color
- Don’t worry about harsh chemicals
- Eliminates unpleasant smells
It’s designed to protect your wig’s color, so you don’t have to worry about harsh detergents washing away the vividness of your beloved wigs.
- Gives slip and silkiness
- Doesn’t use polymer coating
- Leaves a nice, pleasant fragrance
- Hard to lather
12. DeMert Wig Luster Conditioner
We all know that shine and luster are what give a wig its magic. The glossier the strands, the neater you look, and the livelier the color payoff of your wig.
This DeMert conditioning spray aims to bring out that luminous shine in your wig to make it the star of your look.
- Easy-to-spray conditioner
- Shine and luster
- Makes your wig shine again
It comes in an easy-to-spray aerosol can for your convenience—none of those pump sprays that don’t work after you drop them one time.
- Prevents your hair from split ends
- Keeps your hair healthy and shiny
- Ensures a healthy and nice hair growth
- The package might get to your broken
13. Revlon Texturizing Cleanser for Synthetic Hair
This shampoo by Revlon increases manageability for wigs that are frizzy and hard to work with.
It’s infused with botanical extracts, like thyme, lavender, lemongrass, and green tea to help purify the strands and get rid of oils and impurities weighing it down.
- Nice, rich scent
- Full of botanical extracts
- Infused with marshmallow root
- Get rid of impurities
It’s also formulated with marshmallow root, which has an outstanding reputation for its fantastic slip. This smoothens out the hair to make it look soft and natural.
- Provides all the nutrients
- Deeply nourishes and cleanses
- Penetrates hair follicles and hydrates
- Doesn’t help with oily scalps
14. Organic Natural Premium Oil-Free Weave & Wig Conditioner & Detangler
This detangling conditioner makes smoothing out your wig’s hair strands super effortless.
It contains shea butter, vitamin E, and olive extracts to keep the hair shiny and smooth, making combing through your wig easy breezy.
- Coconut milk usage
- Infused with shea butter
- Doesn’t contain silicones and sulfates
- Has vitamin E and olive extracts
It has a fruity scent with notes of tangerine and mango, which helps deodorize your wig and leave it smelling fresh and sweet.
- Deeply moisturizes and nourishes your scalp
- Strengthens your hair
- Makes your hair nice, smooth and silky
- Has a chemical fragrance
15. Estetica Designs Nourish & Renew Wig Conditioner
Though this is primarily a conditioner that helps replenish moisture in your wig’s strands, it also aids in getting rid of dirt to keep your synthetic wig nice and clean.
Even if it nourishes your wig’s synthetic hairs deeply, it still leaves them feeling lightweight. Since there’s no heavy residue, the wigs will feel weightless on your head, allowing them to feel like natural hair.
- Get rid of the dirt
- Leaves your hair feeling lightweight
- Allows your wigs feel like natural hair
- Keeps the color from fading
That allows you to flip your hair and flaunt your color confidently.
- Deeply nourishes and conditions
- Provides all the needed nutrients
- Has no heavy residue
- Doesn’t work nice with oily natural hair
Admiring and basking in the beauty of your wig collection can make you feel like you’re floating in a dream-like fairytale. But every once in a while, you have to get your hands dirty too.
Make sure you shampoo and condition your synthetic wigs regularly to give them the tender loving care they deserve, and so they can go on serving you and your gorgeously whimsical looks for as long as they can.
Shampoo and conditioner are among the most important tools you need on-hand if you love your wigs and properly care for them. Keep them clean, shiny, and luscious, and they’ll love you back for as long as they can.
Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo
Designed for both synthetic and natural hair
Removes makeup, oils and sweat
Revitalizes and adds shiness
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!