The 24 Best Dry Shampoos for Curly Hair
If you have curls, coils, and waves, you probably try to go a day or two without washing them.
That’s where the best dry shampoos for curly hair come in handy.
They freshen up your tresses without weighing down your hair.
But can you use dry shampoo with the curly girl method?
Yes, all you need is a product without silicone, drying alcohol, and sulfates (1).
For example, dry shampoos for African-American hair or permed hair also fit the bill.
Let’s look at the options below.
amika Phantom Hydrating Dry Shampoo Foam
- Inexpensive and very effective
- Has a pleasant, unisex scent
- Tends to thicken the hair and add volume
Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Cleanse + Shine with Coconut Milk
- Rich starch as an oil absorbing ingredient
- Absorbs all the dirt and oil
- Provides a deep cleansing for your hair and scalp
Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Cleanse and Smooth with Hibiscus Root
- Contains argan oil
- Made with ultra-fine rich starch particles
- Protects against sun damage
Top Dry Shampoos for Curly Hair
1. amika Phantom Hydrating Dry Shampoo Foam
Here is an excellent dry shampoo for textured hair. It’s perfect for curls, waves, and coils.
Instead of a powder, it’s a no-rinse foam. Use your fingers to massage it through your hair.
It cleanses the scalp and hair with the tapioca, rice, and cornstarch to get rid of excess oil and dirt. In the process, it moisturizes the scalp.
- Infused with vitamin C and A
- Works great with color-treated hair
- Pleasant, unisex scent
- Packed with omega fatty acids
Then, it contains Vitamins C and A plus Omega fatty acids from sea buckthorn berry. These essential ingredients strengthen the hair from the follicle out to the tip.
The vegetarian formula is cruelty-free and safe for chemically-processed hair. It has less than 1% synthetic fragrance, yet it still smells delightful.
Most importantly for curly girls, it’s free of harsh ingredients.
That’s right, it doesn’t have sulfates, salt, parabens, petrochemicals, or talc.
- Adds volume and thickness
- Removes any oils from scalp and hair
- Helps with color-treated hair
- Gets on hands and under fingernails
2. Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Cleanse + Shine with Coconut Milk
Batiste makes several different dry shampoos. They’ve also created a cleansing foam that requires no water or brushing. Sounds good for curly hair, doesn’t it?
Shake the bottle, pump it onto your hands, and work it through your roots to the tips of your curls.
It only takes 60 seconds to dry. The result is clean-smelling, lustrous locks.
- Oil-absorbing rice starch
- Contains dark pigment
- Works great with brown and black hair
- A hint of glitter from the minerals
Plus, it won’t leave a residue and it’s free of dyes, parabens, and sulfates.
For even better results, use a leave-in conditioner on the ends of your hair.
- Makes your hair shinier
- Absors all dirt and oils
- Adds volume
- It is flammable
3. Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Cleanse and Smooth with Hibiscus Root
As an alternative to the Coconut Milk version above, try this frizz-smoothing Hibiscus Root foam instead.
The scent is different, but the results are the same.
- Nice, pleasant fragrance
- Ultra-fine rice scratch particles
- Infused with hibiscus root
- Works great with dyed hair
It freshens up oily roots but won’t dry out the strands.
In 60 seconds, you’re ready to move on with your day. And you’ve cleaned your hair without parabens, artificial colors, or sulfates.
- Works as a sunscreen
- Doesn’t leave a dusty residue
- Adds shine and prevents drying
- Is flammable
4. Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Cleanse and Strengthen with Almond Oil
As I said, Batiste makes a lot of different dry shampoos. Their products are inexpensive, so I recommend trying each one to see which you like best.
The Almond Oil foam won’t leave white powdery residue in your hair, no matter how dark it is.
- Cruelty-free and vegan formula
- Avoids harsh chemicals and sulfates
- Inexpensive and very effective
- Ifnused with almond oil
Instead, your curls will be glossy and smooth.
Just like the others above, it’s free of harsh chemicals. You don’t need to rinse or brush after applying the foam, either.
- Leaves your curls glossy
- Contains natural ingredients only
- Absorbs all the oil and dirt
- Has no scent
5. OUAI Dry Shampoo Foam
OUAI is a favorite brand of curly girls. Their dry shampoo is a foam for “washing” the hair.
Put some in your hand and massage it into the scalp. Massage it out to the ends until your hair is dry.
- Free of sulfates and parabens
- Has an exotic and nice scent
- Foamy texture
You don’t need to brush afterward to get rid of residue because it doesn’t leave any.
- Protects your hair
- Avoids damage and breakage
- Doesn’t leave any residue
- Has aluminium starch
6. Renpure Beauty Coconut & Vitamin E Hydrate + Replenish Dry Shampoo
Renpure’s Hydrate and Replenish dry shampoo sounds like an oxymoron. How can it hydrate if it’s “dry”?
The secret lies in the choice of ingredients.
This waterless shampoo contains plant-based cleansers. With tea tree oil, they soak up excess oil to refresh an oily scalp.
- Infused with argan and coconut oil
- Contains shea butter extracts
- Nice, tropical fragrance
- Includes plant oils
At the same time, argan oil, coconut, and shea butter smooth and soften the hair.
On the downside, this is a dry shampoo that usually requires brushing. Once you spray it on your roots, let it sit for a minute or two. Then brush out the residue to cleanse your hair.
But happily, this company never includes artificial dyes, phthalates, parabens, sulfates, or propylene glycol in their products.
- Deeply moisturizes your skin
- Provides all the needed nutrients for healthy skin
- Removes the oil and dirt from the hair
- Creates a little texture
7. Renpure Beauty Rose Water Weightless Hydration Dry Shampoo
Renpure’s Rose Water dry shampoo freshens up your tresses with plant-based cleansers.
It adds volume and restores shine to dull, dirty hair. It also makes it smell instantly better.
- Free of cornstarch
- Perfect for freshening up after the gym
- Leaves no residue
- Works gread with dull, dirty hair
Spray it onto the roots from about 6 inches away. Then work it through your hair with your fingers. You may need to brush, unfortunately.
- Repels all the dirt and oils
- Neutralizes odors
- Soaks up all impurities left
- You’ll need an extra brush
8. R+Co Spiritualized Dry Shampoo Mist
Do you have an itchy scalp? Then you might feel comfortable using this mist based on micellar technology.
There’s no powdery residue at all. In fact, your hair may feel cleaner than it does after using kinds of dry shampoos.
The spray cleanses and moisturizes the scalp and hair. It contains glycerin, a humectant that attracts water.
- Won’t leave a dusty residue
- Free of chemicals
- Vegan formula tested by dermatologists
- No powdery residue at all
Then, there is silica to fortify each strand.
Finally, castor oil makes hair glossy and calms frizz. It also deep-conditions the skin and promotes growth.
R+Co doesn’t use parabens, petrolatum, or sulfates in their vegan products.
- Adds texture and volume
- Contains glycerin
- Sooths your scalp and helps with styling
- Doesn’t have a smell
9. Pantene Dry Shampoo Foam and Dry Conditioner
Pantene packages a dry shampoo with a leave-in conditioner. It saves time when you’re shopping for both products.
They call it a way to “cheat” when you don’t have time to wash your hair.
I call it a temptation to stop washing with wet shampoo altogether.
At any rate, it only takes a couple of minutes to use both sprays.
- Perfect for naturally greasy hair
- Contains pro vitamin B5
- Infused with aloe and jojoba oil
- Packed with fatty acids
The 60-second shampoo cleanses excess oil the tapioca and leaves the hair fragrant with jasmine and vanilla.
It’s free of sulfates and parabens and fortified with provitamin B5.
Next, the dry conditioner mist gets rid of tangles and frizz with aloe, omega-9, and jojoba oil. It smells like peach and coconut.
The moisturizing effects last for 24 hours after you use it.
- Provides immediate comfort for dried out scalps
- Leaves an amazing scent
- Works with all types of hair
- Doesn’t help with heat damage
10. Nexxus Clean & Pure Unscented Dry Shampoo
Nexxus makes unscented and fragrance versions of their dry shampoo. It’s a salon-quality product.
Bring it along in your gym bag to freshen up your hair after a workout. It gets rid of sweat, smell, and oil. (Yes, even the unscented version neutralizes odor.)
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Rich in essential oils
- Helps with breakage and hair damage
- Gets rid of sweat and smell
It won’t leave a residue and it’s safe for color-treated hair. Just be aware that it works best if you can brush your hair after you apply it.
- Moisturizes and fights flakes
- Leaves your hair silky smooth
- Makes your scalp more resistant to irritation
- Makes your hair frizz
11. OGX Refresh Revitalize Extra-Strength Argan Oil of Morocco Dry Shampoo
OGX goes the extra mile to give you options. I picked out just four of their dry shampoos for you to see.
I’ll start with the argan oil version. It features silk proteins, too.
- Plant-based shampoo
- Infused with argan oil
- Features silk proteins
- Perfect for thin and dry hair
Those two ingredients are excellent for nourishing curls.
It revives your locks at the same time that it soaks up oil to degrease your scalp. It can fix unruly bed head and revive limp hair.
- Moisturizes and soothes your hair
- Protects and nourishes the scalp
- Helps keeping a natural balance of the scalp
- Can get your scalp oily
12. OGX Extra-Strength Refresh & Restore + Coconut Miracle Oil Dry Shampoo
The Coconut Miracle dry shampoo smells like a tropical vacation. It has a blend of coconut, vanilla bean, and tiare (gardenia from Tahiti).
The volume-inducing spray makes it possible to enjoy your style for another day.
- Infused with jojoba and coconut oil
- Advanced treatment for your hair
- Better blood circulation
- Deep nourishment
Each curl will feel bouncier and look shinier once you’ve worked it through your hair.
- Hydrates and strenghtens your hair
- Moisturizes the scalp
- Actively fights dryness and flakes
- Overwhelming perfume
13. OGX Refresh & Balance + Tea Tree Mint Dry Shampoo
If you have fine, oily, limp hair, here is a dry shampoo that will revive it.
- No harmful ingredients used
- Encourages hair growth
- Great for both men and women
- Works perfect for post-menoupause hair
Tea tree and mint with witch hazel gets rid of the oil and makes your scalp tingle. The scent is like a shot of coffee for your nostrils.
- Boosts shine and moisturize
- Doesn’t leave inflammation untreated
- Fights scap dryness
- Works only with specific hair problems
14. OGX Exclusive Collection Refresh & Full + Biotin & Collagen Dry Shampoo
If your hair is dry, thin, or stressed, try the biotin and collagen version. It builds volume and texturizes.
- Infused with castor and coconut oils
- Works great with volume
- Helps menopausal hair
- Prevents hair damage and thinning
The active ingredients fortify each strand to fortify curls.
- Perfectly moisturizes and nourishes your skin
- Doesn’t leave any untreated flakes
- Works great with sensitive skin
- Doesn’t work with very thick hair
15. Aveeno Rose Water and Chamomile Gentle Dry Shampoo
Aveeno’s dry shampoo caters to sensitive scalps. It won’t harm color-treated hair, either.
The active ingredients include oats to moisturize and soothe dry skin.
Lift each section of your hair to spray the roots. The formula neutralizes odor and impurities and increases body.
- Fights breakage and thinning
- Infused with caffeine
- Salon-tested formula
- Works reat with hair health
It makes it smell like you went for a walk in the garden.
Also, it’s free of artificial dyes, parabens, and sulfates.
- Moisturizes and hydrates your skin
- Works great with over-dried scalps
- Leaves your hair shiny and undamaged
- Not the best smell
16. HASK Dry Shampoo, Nourishing Monoi Coconut
Have you heard of Monoi oil from Tahiti? It’s a perfumed blend of Tahitian gardenias (tiare) soaked in pure coconut oil.
It leaves the hair and skin silky soft and fragrant.
- Infused with saw palmetto and ginseng
- Has lots of essential oils
- Contains aloe vera extracts
- Has no chemicals and harsh parabens
This dry shampoo features Monoi oil to revitalize your curls while rice starch gets rid of sweat and oil.
It’s free of sulfates, parabens, aluminum, gluten, phthalates, and artificial dyes.
- Enhances hair growth with different nutrients
- Leaves your hair smelling nice and fresh
- Deeply cleanses and moisturizes your skin
- It makes your hair flat
17. Herbal Essences Dry Shampoo BioRenew
Herbal Essences blends cucumber, green tea, aloe, and kelp to refresh your tresses. There’s also a hint of waterlily and clean amber.
As you can imagine, it smells heavenly.
- Infused with DHT blockers
- Formulated with pygeum bark extract
- Has pumpkin seed oil
- Infused with caffeine
The dry shampoo is pH-balanced and rich in antioxidants. It helps hydrate dry hair at the same time it refreshes the scalp.
If you’re following the Curly Girl Method, you should know that this contains silicone and denatured alcohol.
- Cleans your hair and makes it better-looking
- Moisturizes and nourishes your scalp
- Provides all the nutrients for a healthy scalp and hair
- Doesn’t work well with thick hair
18. Klorane Dry Shampoo Powder with Oat Milk
Curly Girls try to avoid alcohol and silicone whenever they can. That’s why a dry shampoo powder is worth considering.
Unlike a spray, it doesn’t need either one of those two ingredients.
- Avoids alcohol and silicone
- Infused with oat milk
- Less harmful for the environment
- Perfect for sensitive skin
Although it can be a little messy to deal with straight powder instead of a spray, it’s less harmful to the environment, too.
Klorane’s oat milk dry shampoo fixes oily hair without drying out the scalp. It also boosts volume. Then, it has a little bit of grit that makes styling easier.
- Soaks all the residue
- Boosts volume
- Adds shiness to your hair
- Can leave little stains
19. Living proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo
Some dry shampoos use cornstarch to soak up oil. But that can lead to problems.
The residue makes hair look dull.
- Leaves no odor
- Has a molecule called OFPMA
- Packed with beneficial nutrients
- Contains antioxidants
Also, dry shampoo with silicone may attract dirt.
That’s why Living proof avoids both ingredients. Their dry shampoo repels dirt with a proprietary molecule called OFPMA.
The formula also neutralizes odor. Therefore, your hair looks, feels, and smells like you just washed.
- Neutralizes odor
- Soaks up all the residue
- Repels dirt and oils
- Doesn’t last too long
20. Sun Bum Revitalizing Dry Shampoo
Sun Bum doesn’t include parabens, sulfates, gluten, or aluminum in their dry shampoo.
It revives second or third-day hair with vegan ingredients that soak up impurities.
For example, it has protein and amino acids, coconut oil, quinoa, and banana.
- Only vegan ingredients
- Infused with proteins and amino acids
- Doesn’t use parabens or sulfates
- Smells amazing
You don’t necessarily need to brush the shampoo out, either. Just work it through your hair with your fingers.
Then, you’ll enjoy lustrous curls that look and smell like you just washed your hair
- Soaks up all the dirt and oils
- Infused with coconut and quinoa
- Revives your hair
- Can leave stains
21. Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo, Keratin Infusion
Keratin is a protein that makes up our hair structure. You can fortify dry, damaged strands with extra protein.
That’s why Suave includes keratin in their dry shampoo. It helps repair hair that’s been chemically processed.
- Infused with keratin
- Works great with chemically-treated hair
- Maintains your hair
- Packed with vitamins
Use it to maintain your style for an extra day.
It’s been tested in salons and proven to work well for refreshing second-day hair.
- Leaves your hair nice and shiny
- Repairs all the damage
- Works great with split ends
- Doesn’t work with extra greasy hair
22. ORIBE Gold Lust Dry Shampoo
Why does everybody want to try ORIBE’s dry shampoo?
For one, it smells fantastic. And the scent lasts all day long.
But it’s not just the fragrance that matters, this is a high-performance dry haircare product.
- Infused with chamomile and lavender
- Contains watermelon and lychee
- Has bamboo and rice
- Infused with celery seed and starch
It has lychee, edelweiss, and watermelon to protect hair from harsh sunlight and environmental pollution.
Next, there’s myrrh, chamomile, and lavender to calm an itchy scalp. Meanwhile, a translucent starch blend and celery seed get rid of oil and buildup.
Lastly, bamboo and rice silk smooth frizz.
There’s no need to brush it and wreck your waves. Plus, the vegan formula is free of salt, sulfates, and parabens.
- Soaks the oil up
- Leaves your hair smooth
- Works great with frizz and damage
- Artificial fragrance
23. CHI Rosehip Oil Dry Shampoo
CHI makes more than one kind of dry shampoo. These products are developed from real-life experience with their salons in the Houston area.
- Infused with rosehip oil
- Contains UV filters
- Packed with vitamins
The Rosehip Oil shampoo is excellent when you need sunscreen for your hair. It contains UV protectants that prevent color fading.
- Protects agains fading
- Makes your hair nice and shiny
- Leaves your hair silky smooth and good smelling
- Is inflammable
24. CHI Luxury Black Seed Oil Dry Shampoo
Next, CHI’s Black Seed Oil shampoo hydrates and revitalizes limp hair. It’s rich in antioxidants that defend against heat styling and pollution.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Contains hydrolyzed silk
- Protects against heat
- Revitalizes limp hair
Hydrolyzed silk leaves each curl sleek and manageable.
- Protects against pollution
- Leaves no residue
- Makes your curls sleek and manageable
- Doesn’t help with oily hair
You don’t need to put up with second-day hair anymore. Use dry shampoo to refresh your curls without the need for washing.
Dry shampoo revives limp hair so that it looks and smells fresh and clean.
If you discovered your new favorite hair care product here today, come back and tell us about it in the comments below.
amika Phantom Hydrating Dry Shampoo Foam
Inexpensive and very effective
Has a pleasant, unisex scent
Tends to thicken the hair and add volume
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Girl_Method accessed April 14, 2020