The 15 Best Cruelty-Free Shampoos for Gray Hair [2022 Reviews]
Sporting gray hair is a common trend today. Whether you have naturally gray tresses or you have got them colored, gray hair is no more an embarrassment.
In both cases, your hair needs extra attention and special care to preserve its quality.
Finding the right shampoo for preserving your locks or preventing them from turning gray can be a tough call, especially if you are in search of vegan products.
To ease out the difficulty, we got our hands on the best cruelty-free shampoos for you.
Christina Moss Organic Aloe Shampoo
- Increases hair vitality and strength
- Reduces thinning hair and dry scalps
- Packed with vitamins and essential oils
Menfirst Store 3-in-1 Shampoo
- Restores the damage and prevents further breakage
- Rejuvenates hair follicles
- Works nicely with amino and additional conditioning agents
Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
- Perfect ar removing additional sebum and fatty acids
- Works perfectly as a hair growth shampoo
- Scalp cleansing components
Why Choose Cruelty-Free Shampoo?
Vegan shampoos contain ingredients derived from plants. While this shampoo cleans your hair, it does not rip off the essential natural oils necessary to protect the hair from day-to-day damage.
Natural plant oils also promote scalp health and keep your hair beautiful. When the scalp is protected, it promotes hair that is strong and less prone to breakage.
Natural oils also work to make dead frizzy hair a thing of the past and what you have is gorgeous-looking tresses.
Vegan shampoos contain essences and oils that hydrate and moisturize the hair and skin without coating them. Since dehydrated hair is lifeless, providing it with hydration is the fastest way to help it bounce back to life.
Since cruelty-free shampoos contain organic ingredients, they do not lead to any product build-up on your hair. On the contrary, they clarify the strands and strengthen them.
Top 15 Best Cruelty-Free Shampoo for Gray Hair
1. Christina Moss Organic Aloe Shampoo
The Christina Moss organic shampoo is a cruelty-free product that gently washes your hair without the use of harmful chemicals.
It is an all-organic and hypoallergenic shampoo with a formula that will not take down the natural oils from your scalp.
- Reduces hair fall rate
- Restores hair follicles
- Contains loads of vitamins and minerals
- Infused with fatty acids and vitamins
The ingredients of this shampoo include fatty acids, essential oils, and plant extracts. Thus, if you have gray hair, this shampoo is the right product to care for your tresses.
It is also beneficial for those with a sensitive scalp or skin.
- Rejuvenates hair follicles
- Improves overall hair health
- Provides all the needed nutrients
- No scent at all
2. Menfirst Store 3-in-1 Shampoo
If you want to darken your gray hair without using harmful dyes and chemicals, then look no further than the Menfirst 3-in-1 shampoo. This shampoo is specifically formulated for men.
It is free from sulfates and paraben and thus, ensures complete hair protection. This shampoo formula includes Pro-vitamin B5, collagen, keratin protein complex, and such healthy ingredients.
- Works great with broken hair
- Restores damaged hair follicles
- Prevents split ends
- Infused with pro-vitamin B5
It is based on proprietary gray spot technology that gradually darkens your gray strands. You can use it as your routine hair wash product to cover gray and white hair effectively.
- Gradually covers gray hairs
- Keeps your hair healthy and good-looking
- Packed with plenty of vitamins
- Lacks moisture
3. Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
As the name indicates, the Aveda shampoo uses natural blue-tinted pigments from the Malva flower extracts. Thus, it is a plant-based shampoo that reduces the brassiness from your gray hair.
It does not contain any animal-derived ingredient and hence, is a great option if you want to opt for cruelty-free shampoo.
- Infused with eucalyptus and Ylang Ylang
- Rejuvenate hair follicles
- Removes additional fatty acids and sebum
- Activates new hair cells
Protecting your gray hair without the use of harsh chemicals and synthetic ingredients is possible with the Aveda Blue Malva shampoo.
The shampoo is infused with Eucalyptus and Ylang Ylang oil to give it a pleasant scent that will keep your hair fresh all day long.
- Contains therapeutic herbs
- Prevents further hair damage
- Repairs and maintains hair health
- Requires huge amounts of the product
4. Sachajuan Silver Shampoo
The Sachajuan shampoo is a great option if you want to make your grey or blonde hair luminous.
It adds pigments to your hair and neutralizes the yellow/golden tones. Many users also claim to have achieved clean hair that is free from greasiness.
- Gives UV protection
- Amino acids and fiber
- Cruelty free and vegan shampoo
- Energizing fragrance and formula
It is a cruelty-free and vegan shampoo and hence, makes an excellent choice if you want to treat your hair with the most natural ingredients.
Apart from caring for your gray hair, this shampoo also adds volume to the hair, gives UV protection, and hydrates your tresses.
- Moisturizes and hydrates your skin
- Prevents breakage
- Removes yellow tones
- The bottle can leak
5. DXN Ganozhi Shampoo
If you are in search of shampoo for controlling gray hair, you are at the right place. The DXN shampoo on our list is the product that you need.
It is enriched with Ganoderma extracts and Vitamin B5. These ingredients work to improve your hair health, strengthen the hair, and prevent graying too.
- pH-balanced formula
- Packed with natural ingredients
- Loads of vitamins and minerals
- Enriched with ganoderma extracts
It is a pH-balanced product that cleanses your hair, removes dirt, dandruff, and residue. If you want to provide your hair with an all-round treatment, then this shampoo is worth the try.
- Deeply nourishes your skin
- Removes dandruff, dirt and flakes
- Moisturizes and hydrates
- Non-attractive scent
6. Khadi Naturals Amla Bhringraj
The next shampoo on our list is from Khadi naturals that is suited for all types of hair. It is loaded with all-natural ingredients like amla, henna, neem, etc., that add shine to your hair and make it soft too.
The primary ingredients of this product work to preserve the natural color of your hair thus, preventing them from graying prematurely.
- Perfect for all types of hair
- Enhances hair strength
- Prevents hair from falling and thinning
- Controls dandruff and frizz
Additionally, this shampoo also stimulates hair growth, controls dandruff, and prevents frizz. It is the most budget-friendly shampoo that can give you your dream tresses naturally.
- Deeply nourishes your hair
- Has a detoxifying effect
- Provides all the necessary nutrients for hair growth
- Hard to lather
7. Forest Essential Hair Cleanser
This hair cleanser from Forest Essential is on our list as it helps in preventing gray hair. A special ingredient called Nagarmotha makes it the right product for you.
The Nagarmotha extract in the shampoo helps to prevent gray hair and retain the natural color.
- SLS free formula
- Hibiscus and brahmi extracts
- Prevents sun harmful effects
- Perfect for daily usage
This gentle cleanser is also infused with hibiscus and Brahmi extract to rejuvenate the scalp. It is SLS-free and has a pleasant fragrance that leaves your hair smelling fresh all day.
On the downside, users found this shampoo to be slightly expensive than the other products. However, if you are looking for a solution to prevent gray strands, this is a great choice.
- Packes your hair with nutrients
- Nourishes and moisturizes
- Helps with frizziness
- Broken packages spotted
8. Klorane Shampoo for Color Hair
Want to save your silver-blonde tresses from turning yellow? Opt for the Klorane cruelty-free shampoo, and you will love the results.
It consists of a 100% vegan formula that neutralises gray, silver, and platinum blondes and prevents brassiness.
- Perfect for damaged hair
- Provides lasting solutions
- Works with hair and scalp
- Gluten-free formula for daily usage
Enriched with centaury extract, this shampoo will add a subtle silver highlight to the hair and enhance its appearance.
The formula of this shampoo is free from paraben, sulfates , and synthetic colorants. Hence, it is a safe product to preserve your highlights without damaging the hair further.
- Hydrates and moisturizes your hair
- Works great with brassiness
- Offers a nice, clean treatment
- Too oily
9. Amika Cool Blonde Shampoo
This cruelty-free shampoo from Amika is an effective product to keep your hair looking freshly colored. This purple shampoo works to neutralize the orange and brassy tones that appear in blonde, silver, or gray hair.
It has a rich composition of ingredients like wild cherry bark extract, hydrolyzed keratin, avocado oil, etc. These ingredients help to maintain shine in the hair, restore moisture, and increase smoothness.
- Contains hydrolyzed keratin
- Infused with avocado oil
- Has cherry bark extracts
- Packed with lots of essential oils
You can use this shampoo for color-treated, Brazilian-treated, and keratin-treated hair.
Welcome gorgeous-looking gray hair with the Amika purple shampoo and grab all the attention.
- Works as a natural hair treatment
- Provides color protection
- Works great with chemically-treated hair
- You might not like the smell
10. DP Hue Cool Blonde Shampoo
Save your gray hair color from washing out with the DP Hue color shampoo. It is a cruelty-free and gluten-free shampoo that protects colored hair and increases luster.
The shampoo has rich content like hibiscus flower and silk proteins to improve hair health and support its growth. Though it contains synthetic color, it is free from paraben and sulfates.
- Rich in nutrients
- Infused with hibiscus flower extracts
- Has silk proteins
- Removes yellow and brassy tones
The shampoo is a professional-grade product that gently cleanses the hair while the violet pigments remove unwanted yellow and brassy tones from the hair. Fine, medium and thick hair can benefit from this shampoo alike.
- Provides beautiful, voluminous hair
- Maintains a healthy hair
- Makes your hair soft and shiny
- Can make your scalp itchy
11. Pantene Purple Shampoo
Want to enhance the look of your lovely gray tresses?
The Pantene purple shampoo is the right choice for all the silver sisters out there. Since purple shampoos are effective in toning down the brassy and yellow color on your gray hair, this product is what you need.
It is a silicone-free and paraben-free product, and hence there will be no build-up on your hair. You can also use it on dyed-gray hair without causing any damage to your locks.
- Protects against brassy tones
- Nutrients rich formula
- Leaves your hair nice and shiny
- Pro-V formula
The Pro-V formula of the shampoo is nutrient-rich, and hence, it fortifies every strand of the hair.
Your gray strands will appear shiny, smooth, and enviable like never before. Get your hands on this wonderful shampoo, and you will fall in love with your silver hair.
- Repairs damaged hair
- Removes hair breakage
- Deeply nourishes and conditions
- Hard to lather
12. Fanola Vegan Shampoo
Whether you have blonde, streaked, or gray hair, this shampoo works best for all hair types. If you want a 100% vegan formula shampoo, then this is the product you should use.
It is free from sulfates, paraben, and silicone and hence works gently on the hair. The special violet pigmentation of the shampoo helps to bring down the yellow tones in the hair.
- Color-safe formula
- Helps bring down yellow tones
- Makes your hair shiny and soft
- Zero oxidizing agents in the formula
So, you will be left with smooth and nourished hairs that smell great after wash.
With this product, you can improve the appearance of your gray hair too. Many users applauded the shampoo for being reasonably priced yet effective in the claims that it makes.
- Prevents your hair from split ends
- Keeps your hair healthy and shiny
- Eliminates frizz and dryness
- Nut allergies reported
13. Biotique Henna Leaf Extract
This Biotique shampoo is a luxurious blend of all organic ingredients that make it a perfect product for keeping your hair looking beautiful.
It is enriched with henna leaf extract, soap nut, and berry as the main ingredients. These ingredients bring out the best in your hair, making them smooth.
- Henna leaf extracts
- Berry and soap nut usage
- Works great with both curly and straight hair
- Cruelty-free shampoo with a gentle formula
If you have dry strands, then this product can help by transforming the texture of the hair. It imparts a beautiful brown tone to the hair, thereby helping to provide gray hair coverage.
This pocket-friendly shampoo cleanses and conditions your hair and increases the volume too. Using this shampoo regularly can also save you from premature graying.
So, get this shampoo and keep your hair looking healthy and young.
- Repairs split ends and damaged hair
- Deeply moisturizes and hydrates
- Works great with non-sensitive scalps
- Contains sulfates
14. Blonde Uniq Purple Shampoo
Apart from being cruelty-free, sulfate, and paraben-free, this shampoo also provides UV filter protection. It is enriched with Vitamin B5 to make the hair radiant and soften them too.
Whether you have naturally gray hair or blonde hair, this purple shampoo will work for both types of hairs. It helps to reduce discoloration and frees your hair from the yellow tones.
- Anti-aging moisturizing formula
- Enriched with vitamin B5
- Provides powerful UV filte
- Restores lost moisture to dry hair
With this shampoo, you can provide your hair with the pampering it needs to look great all the time.
It is one of the highly recommended shampoos by professionals if you want to add shine and life to your hair.
- Provides thermal protection for your hair
- Leaves your hair soft and shiny
- Brings a nice, addictive fragrance
- Doesn’t work great with oily hair
15. BTW Co Shampoo for Gray hair
While many purple shampoos may disappoint you by making your hair dry and brittle, BTW Co’s purple shampoo is a complete game-changer.
It is a sulfate-free shampoo that adds lots of moisture to your hair, making them soft.
The mild vanilla and sandalwood aroma will please your senses and keep your hair smelling fresh. It is suitable for all hair, whether gray, natural, or color-treated.
- Mild vanilla and sandalwood aroma
- Makes your hair softer
- Gentle plant-based formula
With this shampoo, you can get rid of brittleness and see your hair bounce back to life.
If you search for a cruelty-free, paraben-free shampoo, this gentle plant-based cleanser is the right choice.
- Strengths and deeply cleanses
- Promotes hair growth
- Extends the lifetime of hair dye
- The packaging might be broken
The above list contains a variety of best shampoos for different gray hair requirements. Some of them are suited for preventing gray hair, while others help keep your gray hair looking gorgeous.
This list is also for the silver Blondie’s out there. If you want to keep your hair looking freshly colored, then the above-mentioned cruelty-free shampoos can help.
They are a great option if you want to give your hair the right treatment. Try the one that matches your needs, and we are sure you will see great results.
Always remember to follow up your hair with a gray hair conditioner after shampooing it.
While some shampoos can prevent the occurrence of gray hair, there are other measures that you need to take too.
Some of the things you can do are taking multivitamin supplements, massage hair with good oil, live stress-free, and, most importantly, staying away from chemical products and treatments as much as possible.
Christina Moss Organic Aloe Shampoo
Increases hair vitality and strength
Reduces thinning hair and dry scalps
Packed with vitamins and essential oils
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!