The 16 Best Sodium Chloride Free Shampoos
Published by Aida Turner
Fact checked by Annie
When you’re trying to be conscious about cleaner hair care products, there are always the obvious no-no’s. These include sulfates, silicones, parabens, and unnecessary fragrances and dyes.
But one thing most of us don’t check on our shampoo labels is sodium chloride.
Yes, good old table salt can be found in most of the shampoos on drugstore shelves. And they do a lot more harm than good to our luscious locks.
Natural Formula Keratin Intense Shampoo
- Salt and sulfate free shampoo
- Infused with beneficial keratin proteins
- Shiny and soft hair at the end of the day
Peter Coppola Legacy Total Repair Shampoo
- Great for keratin aftercare
- Contains keratin proteins for extra strength
- Improves elasticity and fortifies hair follicles
NYK1 Salt and Sulphate-Free Shampoo
- Contains coconut oil
- Fantastic option for color-treated hair
- Great keratin treatment aftercare
Why is sodium chloride bad for our hair?
There may be some of you out there genuinely wondering, what’s salt got to do with my shampoo?
Well, fun fact: Sodium chloride is actually used to thicken up shampoo formulas, giving them that smooth, viscous texture.
It also helps the shampoo lather up and gets all bubbly for a deep cleanse.
But when you’re essentially massaging the salt into your hair, you could dehydrate it.
Think of salt used to preserve cuts of meat. It’s rubbed on to get all the moisture out to extend the meat’s lifespan.
That’s what it does to your hair, too—it strips and sucks all the moisture out of your tresses, leaving you with parched hair.
And when you have dry hair, it could lead to dullness, brittleness, and prone to breakage and split ends.
Dry hair can also lead to an itchy scalp.
So if you’ve been having dandruff issues since trying out your current shampoo, you might want to double-check if you’ve carelessly purchased one with sodium chloride.
Another nasty thing sodium chloride does is reverse and undo the effect of special hair treatments, especially keratin treatments.
Therefore, instead of paying hundreds of dollars to look effortlessly fabulous for months, you’re just rubbing out all the protective keratin with your sodium chloride shampoo.
A shampoo with salt can also strip and wash off other chemical treatments you might want to preserve, such as hair color and highlights.
And lastly, just like dyes and fragrances, sodium chloride is an unnecessary irritant. Your shampoo will be just as effective formulated without it.
Plus, it’s one of the ingredients in shampoo that can worsen that burning sensation you get when you accidentally get some product in your eye. Yikes!
Who will benefit most from sodium-free shampoos?
People with dry hair will find that their hair can be smoother, softer, and more hydrated if they switch over to a sodium chloride-free shampoo.
This includes ladies with long, naturally curly hair, especially if your hair is thick and coarse.
If you love chemical treatments like a glamorous keratin blowout or a fun, experimental color change-up, you might want to try out a salt-free shampoo as well.
It can extend the lifespan of your chemical treatment so that you can reap its full benefits.
Sodium chloride-free shampoos are also recommended for those with delicate, sensitive scalps.
The less drying your shampoo, the less you’ll have to worry about flaking and itchiness.
Here are some of the best shampoos without sodium chloride:
The 16 Best Sodium Chloride Free Shampoo
1. Natural Formula Keratin Intense Shampoo
If you’re switching to a salt-free shampoo to prolong the benefits of your beloved keratin treatment, this Natural Formula shampoo might be just what you’re looking for.
It works hard to keep your hair straight after your treatment.
- Plant-based ingredients
- Works great with keratin-treated hair
- Ifused with pentanol
- Improves the effect of keratin
This shampoo is infused with pentanol, which enhances and improves the effects of keratin protein on your hair.
It makes the hair three times straighter and just as strong and shiny as when you left the salon.
- Provides a deep cleanse and moisturizing effect
- Doesn’t use sulfates and parabens
- Provides moisture and improves hair health
- Can get your scalp itchy
2. Peter Coppola Legacy Total Repair Shampoo
This color-safe shampoo from Peter Coppola is great for keratin aftercare as well, which is excellent if you want to keep looking fabulous months after your treatment.
It contains keratin proteins that coat the hair to fortify and repair it, improving elasticity along the way.
- Perfect for keratin aftercare
- Contains keratin proteins
- Seals the cuticle of hair follicles
- Prevents tangles from forming
This shampoo works to seal your hair cuticle as you wash, so it leads to smooth, silky hair without any frizz.
It’s also a shampoo help to prevent any tangles from forming, so you can comb your hair smoothly without any setbacks.
- Deeply cleanses your scalp
- Exfoliates and moisturizes skin pores
- Repairs existing hair follicles
- Dries your hair out
3. NYK1 Salt and Sulphate-Free Shampoo
This salt and sulfate-free shampoo by NYK1 may be gentle on the scalp and hair, but it still has incredible cleaning prowess to give you a deep wash in the shower.
It contains coconut oil to deeply hydrate your hair and enhance its natural shine and softness.
- Infused with coconut oil
- Fantastic for color-treated hair
- Works great as keratin treatment aftercare
- Gentle on your scalp and hair
It’s a fantastic option for color-treated or keratin treatment aftercare.
It doesn’t strip away your treatments, and it cares for your hair at the same time.
- Softens and conditions your hair
- Repairs damaged hair
- Doesn’t stri away your treatments
- Smells bad for some people
4. LuxeOrganix Rejuvenating Argan Oil Shampoo
If you have dry and brittle hair that you want to bring back to life, try out this argan oil shampoo by LuxeOrganix.
Moroccan argan oil is known for its softening and conditioning benefits, so this is just the shampoo you need for deep nourishment, silkiness, and shine.
- Based on argan oil
- Infused with beneficial vitamins
- Packed wtth antioxidants and nutrients
- Ensures thermal protection
It’s formulated with vitamins, antioxidants, and thermal protectants, so your hair stays strong and healthy even when exposed to the elements.
It doesn’t have any harmful ingredients like sodium chloride, phthalates, or parabens.
- Gets rid of the build-up sebum
- Nourishes the scalp
- Provides all the vitamins and minerals needed
- Can make your head itchy
5. B the Product Shampoo Perfected
This gentle and moisturizing shampoo from B the Product is infused with French argan oil that helps keep hair moisturized and frizz-free.
It’s also formulated with other botanical ingredients to nourish and fortify the hair, including coconut oil for extra moisture and pro-vitamin B5 for strength, elasticity, and shine.
- Has pro-vitamin B5
- Infused with coconut oil
- Contains french argan oil
- Has no sulfates or parabens
This shampoo is perfect for color-treated hair because it doesn’t contain any sulfates, so you can be sure it won’t strip your pretty color and highlights.
- Works perfectly with color-treated hair
- Provides shiness and thickness
- Works to improve overall hair health
- You might not like the smell
6. Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo
This shampoo from Oribe claims to rejuvenate and reawaken dull hair by repairing your locks and caring for your scalp as you wash.
It’s made with nourishing oils and modern technologies that improve the overall health of your hair.
Argan and maracuja oils work together to hydrate the hair and add some luster and gloss to your locks.
- Argan and maracuja oils
- Uniquie bio-restortive complex
- Deep nourishing effect
- Improves overall health
Meanwhile, a unique bio-restorative complex helps balance the scalp and strengthen each strand of hair.
- Provides healthier and thicker hair
- Deeply cleanses and hydrates
- Restores natural volume and thickness
- Might get spilled
7. It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Shampoo Plus Keratin
If you have extremely dry hair that needs some repair and restoration, try out this salt-free shampoo by It’s a 10.
It’s rich and super conditioning, and because it’s infused with keratin, it helps fortify your hair strands as well.
The shampoo is made with proteins from wheat, keratin, and other vegetables to fortify your hair, making it strong against breakage.
- Infused with high level of keratin
- Contains wheat extracts
- Based on jojoba and sunflower seed oil
- Perfect for dry hair
It’s also infused with jojoba oil and sunflower seed oil to add some softness and shine.
- Provides needed keratin for extra strength
- Restores and provides needed nutrients
- Provides deep nourishment for the follicles
- A bit pricy
8. ABBA Moisture Shampoo
Another option to bring your dry, damaged hair back to life is this moisturizing shampoo by ABBA.
This shampoo brings together two holy grail oils to hydrate the hair and care for the scalp.
Olive butter is quite rich, so it takes on the job of deeply nourishing the hair to bring back some elasticity and softness.
- Perfect option for dry, damaged hair
- Peppermint oil for extra soothing
- Olive butter rich in nutrients
- Works great with itchy scalps
Peppermint oil, on the other hand, stimulates the scalp and relaxes the senses.
- Repairs damaged hairs
- Cleanses your pores and hair
- Provides nutrients and vitamins
- Has chemicals
9. Puriya Flaky, Itchy Scalp Shampoo
If your scalp is extra sensitive, you might want to opt for a sodium chloride-free shampoo with many gentle yet powerful botanical ingredients.
This shampoo by Puriya was designed for itchy scalps and is packed with many essential oils to target flakiness and dryness.
- Perfect for sensitive scalps
- Tea tree oil as a main ingredient
- Has rosemary, sage and arnica
- Infused with aloe vera for moisture
The main ingredient is tea tree oil, which is known to soothe dry, itchy scalps.
Together with rosemary, sage, arnica, and aloe, it helps soothe inflammation and irritation to provide fast relief and thorough cleansing.
- Makes your hair silky smooth
- Increases thickness and strength
- Stimulates hair growth with nutrients and essential oils
- The shampoo might not work for all types of hair
10. Redken Frizz Dismiss Shampoo
If dealing with frizz is the bane of your existence, you’ll need a trusty sodium chloride-free shampoo to hydrate your locks and smooth them down.
Try out this frizz-killing shampoo by Redken.
- Gentle, sulfate-free formula
- Protects from high humidity
- Anti-frizz shampoo
- Provides salon-level smoothness
This gentle, sulfate-free shampoo is designed to tame frizz and flyaways so your hair can stay salon-level smooth.
It even protects your hair from humidity, which is known to make frizziness and poofiness worse.
- Prevents hair thinning
- Helps repairing damaged hairs and split ends
- Deeply cleanses
- Hard to lather shampoo
11. Pure Brazilian Anti-Frizz Shampoo
If you need extra-rich moisture for your post-keratin treatment care, you’ll love the exotic oils this shampoo by Pure Brazilian has to offer.
It’s infused with proteins to strengthen the hair and help maintain the strengthening properties of your treatment.
- Mango and cupuacu seed butters
- Infused with babassu oil
- Has proteins for hair strength
- Tames frizz
This moisturizing shampoo contains mango seed butter, babassu oil, and cupuacu seed butter that provide intense hydration and nourishment for your locks.
It also tames frizz to keep your hair super smooth and silky soft to the touch.
- Nourishing effect from babassu oil
- Strengthens your hair
- Provides nutrients for hair growth
- Interesting and powerful scent
12. Renpure Biotin and Collagen Shampoo
Dry, chemically-treated hair quickly becomes susceptible to damage, so you need a gentle, salt-free shampoo that strengthens and fortifies your locks, like this shampoo by Renpure.
This shampoo is made with biotin, collagen, amino acids, and proteins to strengthen your locks and make them resilient against breakage.
- Made with biotin
- Has amino acids and collagen
- Helps your hair get thicker
- Strengthening effect
It also helps make your hair thicker and look shinier.
It’s made without harsh ingredients like sulfates, phthalates, and parabens, so it’s terrific for sensitive scalps.
- Promotes hair cell production
- Increses the speed of hair growth
- Strengthens the existing hairs
- No perfume
13. Oribe Shampoo for Magnificent Volume
When you’re fine, flat hair needs extra volume and body, opt for this shampoo by Oribe.
It lifts the hair from the roots, giving excellent texture to your hair, taking it from dull and limp to absolutely glamorous.
- Extra volume and body
- Unique high-tech polymers
- Sulfate and sodium chloride free
- Lightweight, moisurized locs
This sulfate-free, sodium chloride-free shampoo is formulated with unique high-tech polymers that plump up the hair without weighing it down.
The result is lightweight, moisturized locks with amazing volume.
- Deeply moisturizing effects
- Nourishing effect from all the nutrients
- Plums your hair without weighting it down
- Not the greatest product for frizzy hair
14. WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo
Coconut is a go-to when you need extra-deep hydration to add some life back to your parched hair.
This natural, salt-free shampoo uses coconut milk to nourish and add softness to the hair for a natural glow.
- Has coconut oil extracts
- Uses nettle leaf and saw palmetto
- Salt and sulfate free shampoo
- Extra-deep hydration
This salt-free shampoo is also infused with nettle leaf and saw palmetto extract that helps strengthen your hair’s roots and boost healthy hair growth—an awesome bonus if you deal with hair loss and thinning.
- Rebuilds natural hair protein
- Makes your hair healthy-looking
- Stregthen the skin and hair follicles
- It doesn’t work with oily hair
15. UNITE Hair Blonda Shampoo
If you’re a blondie or a silver fox looking for a sodium chloride-free purple shampoo, this one by UNITE is your best bet.
It does a terrific job of eliminating brassiness so you can show off your cool-toned tresses confidently.
- Eliminates brasiness
- Sodium-chloride free formula
- Doesn’t strip down hair’s color
This shampoo uses only mild sulfates to make sure you’re getting the best purifying wash possible without stripping your hair of your gorgeous color.
- Repairs the damaged hairs
- Will keep your hair nourished and healthy
- Increses blood circulation
- Very thin and liquidy
16. Alfaparf Milano Keratin Therapy Lisse Design Maintenance Shampoo
This shampoo from Alfaparf Milano enhances the effects of your gorgeous keratin blowout for months after you step out of the salon.
It’s infused with the rich and exotic babassu oil to soften and condition your hair as you wash it each time thoroughly.
- Babassu oil to condition
- Infused with keratin proteins
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients
- Prologs the effects of keratin treatment
It also has keratin to keep your hair strong and smooth while prolonging the effects of your treatment to the maximum level.
- Deals with irritation and inflammation
- Stimulates hair growth
- Protects natural oils and nutrients
- Need a lot of product for it to lather
17. ecoLove Shampoo
This natural shampoo from ecoLove is made only with the finest organic oils to moisturize your hair as you clean it.
It doesn’t contain any sulfates and sodium chloride, so you don’t have to worry about your natural moisture getting stripped either.
- Macadamia and argan oils
- Infused with shea butter
- Makes your hair super smooth and touchable
- No harsh chemicals used
Macadamia, shea, and argan oils provide intensive care and nourishment to all hair types, but especially straightened hair that needs to be maintained.
It adds shine and conditioning to your hair, keeping it super smooth and touchable.
- Repairs split ends
- Removes dryness, dandruff and itchy scalps
- Adds shine and strength
- Works harder for thick hair
18. Keratherapy Keratin-Infused Moisture Shampoo
Our final salt-free shampoo on this list is another one for keratin treatment aftercare.
This shampoo by Keratherapy was formulated with proteins and moisturizing ingredients to restore the balance between hydration and strength, which is the key to healthy hair overall.
- Perfect for keratin treatment aftercare
- Formulated with proteins
- Deep moisturizing effect
- Balances strength and hydration
Aside from conditioning the hair and making it soft, smooth, and more elastic, this shampoo also helps to fortify and strengthen your hair strands.
It reduces breakage in the long run, so you don’t have to worry about split ends and too thin.
- Provides shyness and smoothness all day
- Repairs damaged follicles
- Removes all impurities and cleanses the pores
- Can leave your hair dried out
Salt is great for a lot of things, from cooking dishes to preserving meats the old-fashioned way.
But when it comes to hair care, there’s no doubt that it’s something you want to stay away from.
If you want to retain moisture in your hair, reap the full benefits of your keratin treatment, or maintain the vibrancy of your gorgeous hair color, sodium chloride-free shampoo is your go-to.
Pick out any of the ones we’ve curated on this list and see the difference for yourself.
Natural Formula Keratin Intense Shampoo
Salt and sulfate free shampoo
Infused with beneficial keratin proteins
Shiny and soft hair at the end of the day
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!