The 18 Best Volumizing Shampoos for Fine Hair
All the hottest supermodels and brightest Instagram starlets have one thing in common—they all have gorgeously voluminous hair.
But it’s difficult to follow this trend of sexy beach waves or full, bodied curls when you have fine and flat hair with low density.
It may sound surprising, but you don’t have to do much to achieve perfectly voluptuous hair with a gorgeous body.
Most of the time, the only thing you need to do is switch over to a volumizing shampoo.
The great news is that many of these shampoos are designed for fine, thin hair like yours.
BIOLAGE Volumebloom Shampoo
- 70% more volume than before
- Doesn’t contain silicone or parabens
- No heavy ingredients or unnatural moisture
Boldify Hair Boost Shampoo
- Rich in proteins and vitamins
- Has aloe vera and rosemary extracts
- Contains various DHT-blocking ingredients
OGX Extra Volume + Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
- Infused with biotin from B7
- Has collagen and other nutrients
- Has bamboo fibers
How to make fine hair look more flattering on you?
Fine hair is rarely flattering because having thin hair strands that are fewer than the average ends up looking flat.
It often feels like your hair is glued to the sides of your head instead of cascading down your shoulders beautifully.
The worst part is, if you force volume onto your hair with a teasing brush of fluffing your hair up with all kinds of sprays and gels, you could end up with stringy, frizzy locks that still fall flat in a matter of hours.
So what is the proper way of making your hair look less flat?
You could incorporate a couple of things into your daily routine to give you a leg up on the volume and thickness front.
The first is to blow dry your hair after each time you wash it.
Blow drying with your head upside down can give your roots a terrific lift, adding more volume and shape to your hair than just falling flat on your sides.
The second is to use a hairbrush for fine hair. This will help you to have a long-lasting, soft, and voluminous waves hair easily.
Another thing you can look into is dry shampoo in between washes. Spraying it into your roots and hair can help add body to your locks.
Like the blow-drying technique, it lifts your hair by the roots, so it doesn’t look too lifeless.
But these tips require some sort of commitment or investment on your part—a change in your current routine if you will.
If you’re a low-maintenance gal who doesn’t have that much time to get ready every day, that might be too much.
Lucky for you, there’s an easier way to crank up the thickness and movement of your hair: Volumizing shampoo.
How volumizing shampoos work on your fine, thin hair?
Caring for your roots is the key to achieving gorgeous volume in your fine hair.
It’s one thing to wash your scalp with a good shampoo, but another to look for volumizing ingredients that can help boost movement and fullness in your hair.
Most volumizing shampoos are deeply cleansing.
That’s because if you want lifted roots and bodied hair, it shouldn’t be weighed down by excess oil or residue from beauty products.
After all, your hair is already fine, to begin with—anything will weigh it down if you don’t wash rigorously.
These shampoos also plump up your hair fiber. Some could have intensely hydrating ingredients to feed the hair, while others will use fillers like filloxane.
Other shampoos turn to proteins that thicken up your hair shaft through strengthening and repair.
Other vital ingredients for volumizing hair are lighter oils, like sunflower, soybean, and sweet almond oils. You should also watch out for hair vitamins like vitamin B5 and E.
The 18 Best Volumizing Shampoo for Fine Hair
1. BIOLAGE Volumebloom Shampoo
This shampoo by BIOLAGE is formulated with special expanding cotton that plumps up the hair and gives it a luscious bounce.
It provides the hair with up to 70% more volume than before your hair wash day.
- Formulated with special expanding cotton
- 70% more hair volume
- Doesn’t have heavy ingredients
- Provides natural moisture
It washes the hair without any heavy ingredients that could possibly weigh the hair down.
Simultaneously, the formula is quite gentle, so it doesn’t strip your hair of its natural moisture.
- Provides a deep cleanse and moisturizing effect
- Doesn’ use sulfates and parabens
- Keeps your hair healthy and shiny
- Can get your scalp itchy
2. Boldify Hair Boost Shampoo
Thick hair is every girl’s dream.
With this shampoo by Boldify, you can have thicker, fuller, stronger hair, even if you have fine hair that tends to go flat in seconds.
It strengthens and fortifies your hair shaft with nutrient-rich vitamins like biotin.
- Rich in nutrients and vitamins
- Infused with biotin
- Has lots of DHT blockers
- Contains rosemary and aloe vera
This vitamin is often found in the shampoo for hair loss. It works against hair fall so that you can retain your strands.
Aloe, rosemary, and a DHT-blocking anti-loss formula ensure your hair stays thick as it grows long and strong.
- Leaves your hair shiny and soft
- Provides a deep cleanse of your scalp
- Enhances natural hair growth
- Has some chemicals
3. OGX Extra Volume + Biotin & Collagen Shampoo
This volumizing shampoo by OGX is packed with natural ingredients and vitamins that strengthen your hair fibers and give it lots of body for gorgeous movement as you sashay down the street.
Collagen is paired with biotin from vitamin B7 to nourish the hair and add some moisture for beautiful shine and luster.
- Packed with natural ingredients
- Contains collagen
- Has biotin and other vitamins
- Infused with bamboo fibers
Meanwhile, bamboo fiber extracts and wheat proteins repair and strengthen the hair, making it thicker and healthier.
- Softens and conditions your hair
- Repairs damaged hair
- Does well with split ends
- Can make your hair hard
4. MATRIX Total Results High Amplify Volumizing Shampoo
This MATRIX shampoo gives you an instant lift to your hair, boosting volume even in limp, super-straight hair by up to 35%.
It also has some essential proteins to thicken your hair up for a fuller look.
- Doesn’t contain any silicones
- Infused with essential proteins
- Provides rich and nice volume
This formula doesn’t contain any silicones, which tend to weigh the hair down. It’s a great way to ensure your hair won’t fall flat hours after your shower.
- Makes your hair soft and shiny
- Works great with color-treated hair
- Gets rid of residue from styling products
- Can dry out your hair
5. Mokita Naturals Regenerate Volumizing Shampoo
If you’re going through hair loss issues, this Mokita Naturals shampoo will quite literally help you regenerate some thick, healthy, luscious hair strands.
It’s formulated with botanicals your hair will love, like extracts from marigold flowers, green tea, and rosemary. These stimulate the scalp and encourage healthy hair growth.
- Infused with lots of botanicals
- Has biotin and vitamin B
- Helps with hair loss issues
- Has green tea and rosemary
Meanwhile, biotin and over B vitamins strengthen your hair and give it a healthy sheen.
- Prevents frizziness and tangles
- Works great with dry, damaged hair
- Completely repairs split ends
- You might not like the smell
6. Hempz Sweet Pineapple and Honey Melon Herbal Volumizing Shampoo
Herbal, natural ingredients work just as well as other cleaning agents in shampoo to thoroughly cleanse your hair.
This shampoo is packed with the finest natural ingredients to wash your hair deeply and give it a touch of volume as well.
- Hemp seed oil usage
- Infused with shea butter
- Has pineapple and honey melon
- Packed with nutrients and vitamins
Hemp seed oil and shea butter moisturize the hair, conditioning it to be super soft and smooth.
Meanwhile, pineapple and honey melon work to make your hair thicker while leaving a fruity fragrance to your tresses.
- Doesn’t let your hair break so easily
- Prevents split ends
- Rejuvenates and strengthens hair follicles
- Might get spilled
7. Redken High Rise Volume Shampoo
Get glamorous volume and intense shine with this shampoo from Redken.
It cleanses your hair rigorously while lifting your roots to give your tresses voluptuous body and movement.
- Infused with lots of botanicals
- Has beneficial vitamins and nutrients
- Packed with antioxidants
- Provides gorgeous gloss and shiness
What’s great about this shampoo is that it doesn’t skimp give your hair gorgeous gloss and luster.
That combined with volume are the only things your fine hair needs to look healthy and glowy.
- Nourishes and moisturizes your hair
- Helps getting out toxic chemicals
- Get rid of toxic residue and relaxes the scalp
- A bit pricey
8. L’Oréal Paris Elvive Volume Filler Thickening Shampoo
This drugstore shampoo for fine hair uses filloxane, a type of silica that plumps up your hair strands instantly while providing it protection against the elements.
Filloxane has the power to penetrate your hair fiber and double its thickness, to give you denser hair.
- Contains high levels of vitamins
- Volume that lasts up to 24 h
- Perfect for fine hair
- Uses filloxane
The result is intense volume and hair that looks and feels thicker, so you can do gorgeous hair flips with confidence. This volume can last up to 24 hours.
- Repairs damaged hairs
- Protects from heat-styling
- Cleanses your skin and hair
- Doesn’t work with oily hair
9. TRESemmé 24-Hour Volume Shampoo
This shampoo works not only to volumize your hair but also to keep that fullness and body for up to 24 hours without falling flat to the sides of your face.
It’s infused with silk proteins that thicken and strengthen your hair while leaving it velvety smooth to the touch.
- Silk proteins usage
- Volume control complex
- Makes your hair bouncy
It’s also designed with a unique volume control complex that allows your hair to retain its volume all day long, so it doesn’t lose its bounce and body.
- Makes your hair silky smooth
- Works perfectly with wavy and curly hair
- Repairs damaged hairs and moisturizes your scalp
- Doesn’t smell so good
10. Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo
Aveda’s volumizing shampoo takes advantage of exotic natural ingredients that can purify your hair and scalp while giving your hair some lift and volume.
It’s made with kaolin clay and acacia gum, two natural ingredients that help detoxify your hair as you wash it.
- Acacia gum usage
- Infused with kaolin clay
- Eliminates sebum buildups
- Uses only natural ingredients
It eliminates product buildup and excess sebum on the scalp to ensure nothing weighs your hair down, so your locks can reach their highest volume potential.
- Makes your hair soft and smooth
- Repairs hair from over-dyeing
- Helps restore hair’s natural beauty
- Hard to lather shampoo
11. FEKKAI Full Blown Volume Shampoo
This volume-boosting and hydrating shampoo by FEKKAI gives your hair the fullness and movement you’ve always wanted.
It’s also a hair product makes it super easy to detangle your hair because of its moisturizing properties.
- Creates rich, creamy lather
- Makes your hair easy to detangle
- Has no chemicals or other nasty stuff
This shampoo is formulated without the nasty stuff that can dry out your hair or irritate your scalp, like sulfates, silicons, phthalates, and sulfates.
But even if it’s super gentle, it still creates a rich, creamy lather for a satisfying wash.
- Nourishing effect from Almond and avocado oils
- Strengthens your hair
- Nourishes and provides nutrients
- Has chemicals
12. Pureology Pure Volume Shampoo
This Pureology shampoo was designed for flat, fine hair as well as color-treated hair.
Washing with this allows you to amp up the volume so that you can have a more glamorous, blown-out look without the inconvenience of heat styling.
- Perfect for color-treated hair
- Infused with vitamin E
- Has sunflower seed oils
- Makes your hair lightweight and airy
It’s formulated with sunflower seed oil and vitamin E to give your hair a healthy, natural shine without weighing it down with heavy oils.
Your hair will feel super lightweight and airy, so it gives you maximum movement.
- Overcomes high humidity damage
- Protects your hair from external damage
- Cleanses all the impurities left
- No perfume
13. Paul Mitchell Extra-Body Shampoo
Paul Mitchel’s shampoo turns up the body and volume of your hair, adding thickness by strengthening your hair and repairing the damage.
It contains panthenol, a hair vitamin that fortifies the hair and serves as a natural moisturizer for extra shine and softness.
- Contains panthenol
- Infused with wheat-derived ingredients
- Perfect for damaged hair
- Serves as a natural moisturizer
It also has wheat-derived ingredients to strengthen and repair hair damage to make your strands thicker and more robust.
- Deeply moisturizing effects
- Nourishing effect from shea butter
- Strengthening effect from milk protein
- Not the greatest product for frizzy hair
14. Moroccanoil Extra Volume Shampoo
This gentle, sulfate-free shampoo from Moroccanoil creates intense hair volume while nourishing your locks with lightweight, luxurious ingredients.
It’s infused with the brand’s signature Moroccan argan oil, which adds strength, shine, and softness to the hair.
- Contains Moroccan argan oil
- Nice, floral scent
- Creates intense volume
- Improves thickness and shiness
It also has linden bud extracts that help your hair shaft expand and plump up for more thickness and body.
It leaves your hair smelling enchanting with Moroccanoil’s signature spicy yet floral scent.
- Keeps your hair nice and luminous
- Seals the moisture
- Hydrates your scalp
- It doesn’t work with oily hair
15. Oribe Shampoo for Magnificent Volume
Lush hair often feels airy, but this Oribe shampoo volumizes your hair while making it feel thick and abundant with strands while still being weightless.
The shampoo has high-tech polymers that plump up your hair strands, making them thicker and more bodied.
- Contains high-tech polymers
- Infused with extra protective layers
- Makes your hair thicker
- Has repairing properties
They also give your tresses an added layer of protection so that it won’t be too susceptible to breakage and hair damage.
- Repairs the damage from flat irons
- Will keep your hair nourished and healthy
- Locks the moisture in
- Needs to be used with a conditioner
16. It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Volumizing Shampoo
“It’s a 10” is a brand known for its “miracle” products, and this volumizing shampoo is just one of them.
It provides pretty much everything fine hair needs to unleash its superstar potential—it enhances your natural texture, boosts volume, and adds shine and elasticity to your hair.
- Protects from sun damage
- Adds shiness and volume
- Works great against color fading
- Perfect for thin fine hair
It’s formulated without sulfates, so it’s perfect for fine hair that is easily dried out and weighed down.
It gives your hair a natural sunscreen to protect it from sun damage and color fading too.
- Repairs the damage from flat irons
- Keeps your hair healthy and good-looking
- Moisturizes your scalp as well
- You might not like the floral scent
17. Davines Volu Shampoo
This shampoo by Davines is in a gel texture, so you know right off the bat that it’s going to be lightweight and won’t clog your hair follicles and strands.
It lifts your hair so you can enjoy max volume and movement all day.
- Increse softness and shiness
- Makes your hair fuller
- Gely texture
- Chemicals-free formula
It also increases softness and shine, ensuring that your thick and full hair is still touchable.
- Repairs split ends
- You’ll never have to worry about frizz
- Makes your hair silky smooth
- Works harder for thick hair
18. John Frieda Volume Lift Weightless Shampoo
Go from flat to tremendously voluptuous with this shampoo by John Frieda.
Instead of overwhelming your hair with heavy plumping ingredients, this shampoo enhances your natural volume to give your locks life and bounce.
- Infused with conditioning ingredients
- Keeps your hair shiny and soft
- Doesn’t have heavy ingredients
- Makes your hair feel airy
It’s super weightless, so it makes your hair feel airy even if it looks lush and voluminous.
That said, it still has enough conditioning ingredients to keep your hair shiny and soft.
- Provides shyness and smoothness all day
- Repairs damaged follicles
- Calms itchiness and frizziness
- Dry hair needs a lot of this product
Voluminous hair transforms your entire look from the total girl-next-door who doesn’t know how to hold a flat iron to a strikingly sexy, uber fabulous head-turner.
Don’t miss out on your chance to rock the volume you’ve always wanted.
The best volumizing shampoos for fine hair on this list may be the secret to you finally unlocking full, thick, bodied hair even if your strands are fine and low-density.
BIOLAGE Volumebloom Shampoo
70% more volume than before
Doesn’t contain silicone or parabens
No heavy ingredients or unnatural moisture
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!