The 15 Best Hair Dyes for Asian Hair
Published by Aida Turner
Fact checked by Annie
People worldwide look up to Asian women for their grace, beauty, and knowledge about skincare and makeup. They’re even responsible for some of the most advanced technologies used in the beauty industry.
One of the most compelling reasons Asian women are considered the beauty experts of the world is their long, shiny, black hair.
Whether it’s on ladies from ancient China or urban India, Asian hair is known to be strong, thick, and absolutely beautiful.
But that doesn’t mean that modern Asian women love to experiment with their hair color.
As an Asian myself, I know all about the pressures of changing up my hair color now and then to stay on-trend in a globalized world. So if you’re of Asian descent, what is the best hair dye to use to switch up your color?
John Frieda Precision Foam Color in Dark Natural Brown
- Thick, rich foam
- Gentle formula without ammonia
- Smooth, uniform color with little to no fading
KAO Prettia Bubble Hair Color in Milk Tea Brown
- No harmful ingredients
- Rich, vibrant color
- Easy to handle formula
L’Oreal Paris Preference Mousse Absolue in Pure Deep Black
- Lasts up to six weeks
- Bright, vivid color
- Maintains your hair’s moisture
What makes Asian hair unique compared to that of other ethnicities?
Like the women who bear them, Asian hair is known to be stronger and thicker than usual. That means many Asian ladies flaunt long hair with lots of sway and body as it glides down their backs.
Check out: Wolf Cut is one of the most popular Asian hair cuts today
Asian hair fibers and cuticles are larger in diameter as compared with Caucasian hair. The hair follicles are usually round and unproblematic, so hair grows out straight and steady without much texture.
Straight hair is more likely to retain moisture since it doesn’t have to deal with waves and curls to spread from root to tip. Because of this, Asian hair is usually naturally moisturized and smooth.
But since the hair is thick and bountiful, it needs to be cared for a lot.
Many Asian women use botanical oils and extracts like aloe, coconut oil, and other homegrown plant extracts as hair remedies to boost shine and hydration.
How do you choose the best type of dye for Asian hair?
Because Asian hair is plentiful and thick, coloring at home might be messy because of the amount of hair you have to deal with. That’s why a non-drip dye formula is more fitting for this hair type.
Look for foams and creams instead of watery liquids that can drip down your neck and stain your clothes.
Thicker dye formulas also have better spreadability, making it easy to run them through your hair with a comb of your fingers.
When picking out a color, make sure your dye complements your skin. As an Asian, you likely have yellow, gold, or olive tones in your skin.
Look for cool, ashy brown shades that can bring out that warm glow in your complexion. Red and copper colors also bring out your natural flush.
Asian hair also grows very fast, so not many people of this descent deal with hair loss issues. That said, when coloring the hair, it’s essential to look for a dye that can cover all your hair.
If you have long and thick hair, buy double the amount of your dye to make sure all your locks will be saturated with color during the dyeing process.
Although Asian hair is resilient and generally healthier than other hair types, you still need to care for it with nourishing ingredients.
Condition your thick hair with a dye that contains moisturizing oils and extracts. This maintains your hair’s overall health, shine, and silkiness.
If you’re all set and know what color and ingredients you want in your hair dye, you’re set to start shopping. To help you out, here are some of the best hair dyes for Asian hair:
Top 15 Best Hair Dyes for Asian Hair
1. John Frieda Precision Foam Color in Dark Natural Brown
This permanent dark brown dye from John Frieda’s Precision Foam line is perfect if you want a cool, dark shade in your locks.
The dye comes in a thick foam that’s super easy to apply even on thick and dense Asian hair. The non-drip texture makes coloring your roots and hard-to-reach areas like behind your ears a lot more convenient.
- Temporary hair makeup
- No gloves required
- Rich foam that spreads nicely
- Easy to apply texture
It penetrates your hair deeply and efficiently saturates every strand with color. Because of its spreadable foam format, it results in a smooth, uniform color and no patchiness.
- Doesn’t damage your hair with chemicals
- Cannot be washed easily
- Gives a nice, rich color for your hair
- 2 tubes needed for longer hair
2. KAO Prettia Bubble Hair Color in Milk Tea Brown
This hair dye by KAO comes in a rich, creamy foam, so it’s easy to spread across your hair. The dye won’t drip down your skin or stain your floors because it’s not runny.
This easy-to-handle format also promotes less product wastage.
- Stylish, wearable and goes with everything
- Easy to handle format
- Made with natural ingredients
- Won’t stain your skin and floor
It comes in a cute, ashy brown color reminiscent of milk tea, otherwise known as “boba.” It’s very flattering on those with golden tones in their skin.
It’s infused with smoothening silk essence and hydrating pure honey to make your hair silky-soft and uber shiny. It’s a great way to care for your hair while experimenting with a brand new color.
- Restores your hair
- Keeps your hair away from chemical damage
- Restores vibrancy and gives a rich shade of milk tea brown
- Will not be rinsed out at the first wash
3. L’Oreal Paris Preference Mousse Absolue in Pure Deep Black
If you’re going for that classic black-haired look Asian women love to flaunt, this permanent dark dye by L’Oreal will look great on you.
The color in your hair comes out multi-tonal, so it’s not flat and blunt. It will have dimension and depth, making it look more natural. The color can last up to six weeks if you care for your hair correctly.
- Lasts up to six weeks
- Ready to use right out the box
- No chemical odors at all
- Works great with thick, long hair
The mousse texture of the dye makes it easy to distribute in thick and long Asian hair.
- Maintains hair’s moisture
- Good for sensitive skin
- Has a nice, gentle texture
- Hard to get the shade right
4. Clairol Nice’n Easy Permanent Hair Color in Dark Cool Blonde
This Clairol permanent dye is another one that’s popular for its non-drip formula. It’s thick and spreadable, so it makes the job simpler for Asian hair.
This dark, cool blonde color is a great choice to bring out the warm tones in your skin. The final result will show a blend of three different tones and highlights, adding depth to your color.
- Vibrant and rich color
- Keeps your hair undamaged and healthy
- Doesn’t use toxic chemicals
- Thick and spreadable texture
It’s so effective at coloring hair that it provides 100% coverage for gray hair, which can be tricky to color since it’s very stubborn.
- Prevents breakage and over-drying
- Leaves your hair silky soft
- Covers all grey hairs
- Washes out easily
5. L’Oreal Paris Excellence Creme Permanent Hair Color in Mocha Ash Brown
Color your hair while caring for its overall health and moisture levels with this permanent dye by L’Oreal. It comes in a rich crème formula that’s easy to use on thicker, denser hair types.
- Long-lasting effect
- Improves overall hair health
- Maintains moisture levels high enough
- Gorgeous color
It’s formulated with ceramides, collagen, and keratin proteins. These all help to fortify the hair and make it resilient against damage. They also moisturize and add shine to your tresses, making them look luminous and healthy.
- Gives extra conditioning
- Leaves your hair soft and shiny
- It’s formulated with collagen and keratin
- Leaves stains in the bathroom
6. Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in Champagne Blonde
Go for a light, summery color that still frames your yellow and gold tones with this Garnier dye in Champagne Blonde. It provides a rich and intense color that will stay vivid for a long time.
This cream color is rich in hydrating ingredients your thick hair will love. It’s infused with avocado oil, olive oil, and shea butter—all known for their deeply moisturizing properties for conditioning the hair.
- Damage-free natural formula
- Delicious smell
- Infused with avocado and olive oils
- Contains shea butter for extra nutrients
They also elevate your locks by adding a luminous sheen to them.
- Keeps your hair soft and smooth
- Doesn’t break or chemically damage your hair
- The color is very bright
7. Clairol Nice’n Easy Perfect 10 Permanent Hair Color in Darkest Brown
If you’re in a rush to get your color done or just don’t have enough time to carve out a full hour for your at-home dye session, use this Clairol dye.
It gets the job done in just 10 minutes, so it’s perfect for low-maintenance gals.
- Made of plant extracts
- No scalp irritation whatsoever
- Contains micro-pearls to add shine
- Easy to color and wash after
The non-drip formula contains micro-pearls to add shine and gloss to your hair, making it look healthier and more revitalized.
This is a fantastic hair color to go for if you want something rich and dark but still has light tones that complement your Asian skin tone.
- Doesn’t damage your hair
- Leaves no stickiness
- Vibrant color on different types of hair
- Doesn’t work great with long hair
8. Revlon Total Color in Dark Brown
If you follow a green and organic lifestyle and hate hair damage, you might want to check out this hair dye by Revlon.
The formula is vegan and ultra-clean, which means it has no parabens, gluten, sulfates, silicones, and other harsh chemicals that can damage your long, silky hair.
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Maintains health and integrity
- Green and organic formula
- Brilliant shade of dark brown
Opting for a permanent dye like this is a wise option if you’re trying to maintain the health and integrity of your luscious Asian locks.
- Keeps your hair’s moisture in place
- Has a durable hair color and shine
- Prevents hair from breakage and damage
- Thick and hard to work with
9. Il Salone Milano Permanent Hair Color Cream in Light Blonde
Going blonde is made easy with this permanent color cream by Italian brand Il Salone Milano. The creamy texture makes it easy to distribute in Asian hair, even if you have a lot of it.
- Free of parabens, ammonia and peroxide
- Lots of hydration from natural oils
- Infused with linseed oil and meadowfoam oil
- Does no damage to your hair
It’s infused with moisturizing oils to pamper and nourish your locks as you color them. Some of these oils include linseed oil and meadowfoam seed oil, which add hydration, shine, and smoothness for a sleek finish.
- Provides a vibrant shade of blonde
- Works nice with all types of hair
- Provides shine and smoothness
- Leaves stains in your bathroom
10. Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color Permanent Hair Color in Medium Ash Brown
Here’s another friendly and hair-loving permanent dye by Revlon.
This one is infused with keratin and silk amino acids to strengthen and hydrate your locks, making them more elastic and bodied than they were before. It’s perfect for maintaining your perfect Asian hair.
- Keratin infused formula
- Has silk amino acids for extra strength
- Nice scent
- Gluten and paraben free
The dye also delivers 3D color, so your hair won’t look dull and flat with just one color. It will have different light and dark tones for a natural look.
- Makes your hair smooth and silky
- Evenly applies the color
- Includes conditioner ingredients
- Washes easily
11. Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent Color in Light Auburn
This semi-permanent color by Clairol is formulated with 80% naturally-derived ingredients. That means you’re only getting high-quality and potent extracts to nourish your hair as you color it.
It contains aloe vera and coconut oil to hydrate your hair and lock in all that moisture at the same time. They also add shine and a healthy shimmer to your hair.
- No developer required
- Hydrating and nourishing effects
- Works great with all types of hair
- Aloe vera and coconut oils
This dye gives your hair a light auburn color with some red and copper tones. It’s a great way to highlight that glowy and golden Asian tan you have.
- Lasts long enough
- Doesn’t leave any damage
- Keeps your hair hydrated
- You’ll need more dye for thicker hair
12. Dongsung Herb Speedy Color Cream in Natural Black
If you have a sensitive scalp prone to allergic reactions when you color your hair, try out this Korean color cream. It’s designed to minimize adverse skin reactions to coloring your locks.
It substitutes potentially harmful ingredients commonly found in dyes with natural alternatives, making sensitive skin more receptive to it.
- Works nice with sensitive skin
- Even, color-accurate fading
- No mix or heat needed
- Includes a sunscreen agent
It also has a sunscreen agent that helps protect your luscious hair from sun damage that can dry it out or fade your color fast.
- Leaves your hair smooth
- Doesn’t dry out your hair
- Applies a vivid color
- Doesn’t cover the greys
13. Naturcolor Haircolor Hair Dye in Light Sienna Chestnut
If you love botanical oils and extracts for pampering your hair, check out this hair dye by Naturcolor.
It’s infused with tons of hydrating natural ingredients, from burdock root extract to coconut oil. There’s also a gorgeous blend of essential oils to give it a fresh and floral fragrance.
- Works well with all types of hair
- Long-lasting color
- Has a nice and fresh fragrance
- Infused with lots of natural oils
This formula doesn’t contain any of those harsh and potentially drying ingredients found in many drugstore hair dyes, such as ammonia, parabens, and resorcinol.
- Prevents hair from breakage or damage
- Restores hair moisture and health
- Coats your hair with a nice color
- Leaves a lot of stains
14. Softsheen-Carson Dark and Lovely Go Intense! in Spicy Red
Go for a daring and bold color with this Softsheen-Carson dye in Spicy Red. It’s a terrific color to bring out your warm skin tone while looking lively and sexy.
- Plant based formula
- Anti-drying formula
- Infused with olive oil
- No harsh chemicals
This anti-drying gel dye is infused with olive oil to moisturize your thick, long locks, making them stronger and shinier after your coloring session. It also leaves your tresses soft and silky.
- Provides a nice, vibrant shade of red
- Softens and smoothens your hair
- Keeps your hair shiny
- Dries your hair a little
15. Revlon Colorsilk Buttercream Hair Dye in Medium Natural Brown
If your hair feels a bit dry and needs thick, creamy moisture, grab this Revlon Colorsilk dye.
It’s infused with moisturizing mango, coconut, and shea butter to provide intensive moisture to your parched locks as you color them.
- Infused with shea butter for nutrients
- Works well with both short and long hair
- Has argan and avocado oils
- Mango and coconut oils
The box also includes a hair mask to nourish your hair afterward. This conditioner is infused with argan, sunflower, and avocado oils to hydrate condition your hair deeply.
The result is soft and luminous locks. You’ll feel confident rocking.
- No scalp irritation after applying
- Doesn’t damage your hair health
- Deeply hydrating formula
- Doesn’ go well with oily hair
Asian hair is known to be thick and voluminous, so make sure you find dyes that will make the coloring process easier for you. Creams and foams will be your BFFs for spreadability as you do your at-home coloring sesh.
And when it comes to color, go for something that will complement your skin tone. A cool undertone or a deep red will bring out your golden, yellow tones in your skin—perfect for an Asian glow.
Check out the dyes above for one that will work best on your unique hair type. They’re mainly formulated for universal use but will work wonders if you have strong, thick, bodied Asian hair that you want to keep healthy.
John Frieda Precision Foam Color
Thick, rich foam
AGentle formula without ammonia
Smooth, uniform color with little to no fading
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!