The 10 Best Oils For Hair Extensions in 2022
Among many hair care products to protect, improve, and most importantly, grow your hair, you should try the best oil for hair extensions. This type of treatment works for a wide variety of hair with a powerful yet safe effect on human hair extensions.
Most hair extensions may turn greasy and heavier because of regular oils. Such low-quality oils cannot fix common hair extension problems such as breakage, dryness, entanglement, or lack of shine.
Thus, it does not matter whether your hair is dry, oily, curly, damaged, or colored. The wide range of oil treatments below will promote hair growth and restore the beauty of its initial condition.
Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil
- Scalp nourishment oil
- Organically certified formula
- Plenty of fatty acids and beneficial nutrients
Kate Blanc Cosmetics Pure Castor Oil
- Formulated with fatty acids for extra moisture
- Dropper included
- Treats dried out scalps
OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco
- Works great with all types of hair
- Deeply penetrates and seals the nutrients
- Infused with precious argan oil
What Are The Best Oil Types For Hair Extensions?
Castor Oil – Best for Dry Scalp
Castor oil, one of the most popular natural oils, can help create a better environment on the dry scalp for stronger hair extensions.
- Nourish dry scalp
- Get rid of dark circles
- Thick formula
- Matting after frequent use
Argan Oil – Best for Hair Shine
If your hair extension lacks the required amount of moisture, it will dry up and lose the original shiny look. Luckily, argan oil is effective in preventing dryness and enhancing hair shine.
- Direct application on hair
- UV radiation protection
- Restores hair elasticity
- May be diluted for cheaper prices
Jojoba Oil – Best for Strength
Even hair extensions can fall over time without the right treatment. Thus, use jojoba oil regularly as it works best for strengthening and reducing hair loss.
- Safe for all hair types
- Enhance hair’s natural oil
- Reduce hair breakage
Coconut oil – Best to Prevent Damages
Coconut oil, another effective natural oil for hair extensions, protects the hair from environmental impacts and damage when wet.
- Distinct coconut aroma
- Promote hair shine
- Greasy hair due if overused
Top 10 Best Oil For Hair Extensions
The list below reviews the top 10 best oil for hair extensions on the market. You can rest assured that any of the available options here will enable proper care, extension, and treatment for all kinds of hair.
1. Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil – Best Overall
This organic cold-pressed castor oil from Sky Organics is unrefined without other ingredients, alcohols, or preservatives. You can detect a pure castor scent as the 100% vegan oil slowly absorbs into your hair extension.
The multi-purpose scalp moisturizer works best to condition and heal dry hair, skin, eyebrows, and lashes. It is because pure castor oil is natural with fatty acids that nourish dry scalps for healthy hair.
- Pure castor oil
- Plenty of fatty acids
- Deep nourishing effect
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free
Since the item has been certified for USDA Organic, you can trust that this oil is responsibly sourced for safe use. Moreover, it is also 100% vegan and cruelty-free – natural formula for hair extensions.
How to use?
Apply the oil directly on your hair with the following steps:
- Take a small amount of castor oil.
- Rub it in your hands to warm up.
- Massage as needed onto dry scalps only.
- Leave the oil in as a hair mask for an hour before washing it off your head with normal shampoo.
Caution: For external use only and avoid making direct contact in the eyes. Store it inside a cool and dry place, far from children’s reach.
- Moisturizes and keeps your scalp hydrated
- Improves overall hair health
- Provides all the needed nutrients
- No scent at all
Feedback from Experts and Users
“In terms of hair growth, I can see how it may help since many times hair breaks due to the fact that it is dry,” said Dr. Peredo over InStyle‘s email.
2. Kate Blanc Cosmetics Pure Castor Oil – Best for Trial
Since castor oil contains ultra-moisturizing properties, it stimulates hair extension growth and conditions hair deeply. Moreover, the level of fatty acids in its formula moisturizes the skin and hair extensions.
While other products for hair come in a large liquid volume, the 2 oz Kate Blanc castor oil in an amber glass bottle is ideal for testing. This material, plus a glass dropper, protects its content from harmful UV.
- UV protector
- Packed with beneficial acids
- Infused with lots of fatty acids
- Made with pure castor oil
How to use?
Examine whether the oil is safe:
- Test for allergic reactions before use by rubbing a small amount of castor oil on the inside of your elbow.
- In case of pregnancy, you will want to ask your health care provider whether this oil is safe enough.
Caution: For external use only and avoid making direct contact in the eyes. Not intended for diagnosing, treating, or eliminating diseases.
- Combats hair damage and dryness
- Keeps your hair healthy and good-looking
- Provides a natural dose of shiness
- Can cause and allergic reaction
3. OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco – Best for Deep Hair Care
A precious blend of argan oil for hair treatment is available in this OGX item. The product can renew your hair look by providing it with enough moisture. That way, your smooth hair will get a perfect shine.
It applies to different hair types, including curly, textured, damaged, thick, dry, and color-treated hair extensions.
The oil penetrates quickly into the hair shaft to deeply care for and revive your hair with sealed nutrients.
- Works great with all types of hair
- Infused with fresh argan oil
- Loats of moisture
- Fresh citrus scent
The long-lasting fresh citrus scent of this argan oil smells irresistible. As its formula is free from chemicals like sulfate and parabens, the liquid absorption on your hair extension will be completely safe and gentle.
“For best results, use in conjunction with other OGX products as per the bottle. However, I was more than happy with my hair when just using this oil by itself. If your hair is really struggling, you could also use OGX Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo and Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner, alongside this penetrating oil. I found that the oil is enough for me.
This oil will also help protect your hair from styling heat and UV damage, while still creating soft, silky hair all day (and usually the next day for me, too). I also feel like my split ends are basically non-existent, but I’m not totally sure that’s all to do with this oil.” – Beauty and the City UK Blog
How to use?
The best way to apply argan oil on your hair extension is:
- Dry the hair with a towel in advance.
- Apply a small amount of argan oil to your palm area.
- Rub your hands together.
- Spread the liquid evenly on this damp surface, work through to ends.
It is recommended to combine the oil with other products in its collection: shampoo, conditioner, and finishing spray for best results.
- Contains therapeutical oils
- Gets rid of split ends and damaged hairs
- Repairs and maintains hair health
- Recommended to combine with other hair products
4. Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil – Best for Protection
Tropic Isle Jamaican Castor Oil is one of the most favorite products for American-African hair extensions. High-quality castor beans have been carefully processed to maintain their magnetism in the formula.
The bottle design had changed from when I first bought this castor oil but the effects are the same.
The oil builds up your hair follicles for them to reach a healthier condition. Because this item adds luster and seals moisture on your scalps, your shiny hair extension will attain a highly protective layer during use.
- Jamaican castor oil
- Thick and full hair
- Reduces scar tissue
- Seals moisture
What is even better about this black Jamaican castor oil is its ability to promote skin and nail growth. The handmade formula reduces scar tissue on your skin and protects the nail bed by handling fungus.
After using this, my edges near the extensions are growing back thick and full, as well as my eyelashes and eyebrows since I apply this on them daily.
How to use?
Use this product as a hot oil treatment:
- Apply the oil to your scalp and cover your head with a plastic cap.
- After sitting under the hairdryer for 30 minutes, wash your hair thoroughly with shampoo.
- Moisturizes and hydrates your skin
- Prevents breakage
- Helps enhancing natural hair growth
- Has a runny texture
5. Arvazallia Argan Oil Hair Treatment & Conditioner – Best for Hair Management
If you are looking for an optimal hair treatment, try the leave-in Arvazallia Argan Oil for a salon experience at home. This conditioner for hair hydrates your hair extensions enough to restore its shine and moisture.
If you have coarse color-treated 4C hair, it’s so difficult to soften and tame it. But this oil is amazing.
Blowing dry my hair extension often caused a lot of damage, but having an extra layer of oil on the head has helped prevent breakage.
- Works as an UV filter
- Paked with vitamins and nutrients
- Works great with thick, color-treated hair
- Works great with heat-styling damage
My mom, with thicker hair extensions, also enjoys using the formula.
This argan oil enables a great heat protectant for hair, does not matter if it is over-processed, damaged, or frizzy hair extension. The cosmetic-grade ingredients promote natural hair growth with a soft and silky look.
You will get more manageable hair extensions thanks to this light and residue-free oil treatment. It can also protect your scalps from the damaging effects of UV rays and awakens your dull hair appearance.
Plus, Arvazallia provides really impressive customer service that is helpful all the time.
How to use?
The product is ideal for damp/towel-dried hair application:
- Pump 2 – 4 drops of oil into the palm of your hands.
- Rub them together.
- Work throughout your hair, beginning to the root.
- Dry up.
After drying and styling your hair, you will want to add 1 – 2 more oil pumps with the same process for better hair control and condition.
- Deeply nourishes your skin
- Provides vitamins and antioxidants
- Moisturizes and hydrates
- Non-attractive scent
6. Pure Body Naturals Coconut Oil Hair Mask – Best Ingredient Mix
This Pure Body Naturals jar contains a healthy mix for hair extensions, including coconut oil, vitamin E, and shea butter. The formula works best to repair split ends and stimulate hair growth for unisex use.
Moreover, this coconut oil prevents fungal and dandruff on your head, while very few can do the same. Your hair extensions will be protected from harsh climate with extra smoothness to hair via one application.
- Nice source of vitamins and minerals
- Stimulates hair growth
- Works great with fungus and dandruff
- Contains coconut oils
You can use the product as a leave-in mask for hair if you experience frizzy and hair dry. Its chemical, alcohol, phthalates, fragrance-free formula will promote thicker hair with fewer worries about hair loss.
My hair extension was getting more vulnerable as a result of years of color and highlight. So I got this product based on its natural ingredients. A deep condition applying it from roots to ends and rinse off was nice.
Nothing can totally repair your damaged hair extension rather than replacing it, but you can nourish the blown hair cuticles and manage this damage with a quality product. This coconut hair mask is certainly an awesome item at a fine price.
How to use?
So, what is the best way for using the coconut hair mask properly?
Well, it is going to be an ideal if applying this hair mask on washed and towel-dried hair extensions:
- Distribute the cream evenly on your hair, starting at the scalp through each hair strand.
- Give it a massage from the roots to tips.
Caution: The coconut oil should be patch tested before applying to avoid irritations for sensitive skin. Not formulate for consumption.
- Deeply nourishes your hair
- Has a detoxifying effect
- Provides all the necessary nutrients for hair growth
- No visible effect
7. Hask Argan Oil Repairing Shine – Best for Restoration
The alcohol-free lightweight Hask argan oil is the best antidote for damaged hair extension at all lengths.
Not only can it restore your regular hair extension, but the item also gives it a brilliant shine without leaving an oily residue.
Before you use any heat styling tools (straightener, curler), you can apply this oil to your hair strands for better protection. Moreover, it is known to promote natural hair besides synthetic hair extensions.
- Alcohol free formula
- Protects against heat-styling
- Promotes natural hair growth
- Leaves your hair shiny and silky
This treatment and strengthening product absorbs instantly on your hair to provide a frizz-free shiny look. Thus, it is applicable to both dry and wet hair for you to style it as desired after the application.
“The Argan Oil Shine Treatment is my favorite out of the bunch. It’s just a regular hair oil, but what I like about it is that you can use it with dry hair or wet hair. Using it with wet hair helps it absorb into the strands making the shine last for days. I also like using it with dry hair to tame fly-aways and to make my hair sleek and give it an added boost of shine for days where it’s lacking.” – The Point of Vu
How to use?
You can apply this argan oil by:
- Take a small amount of oil in coin size
- Rub it on your hands.
- Spread it evenly throughout your hair but avoid having it on the root.
Caution: For external use only. Since this is a flammable liquid, avoid using it around open flames. Keep away from the reach of children.
- Packes your hair with nutrients
- Nourishes and moisturizes
- Helps with frizzines
- Small capacity
8. OGX Extra Strength Coconut Miracle Oil – Best for Hydration
Many hair extension users believe that this is one of the finest choices you can get among multiple products for hair. It is due to the superior coconut oil formula for optimal hair repairment by OGX.
Though I rarely use drugstore hair products for hair care, I purchased this coconut oil as a quick fix and was completely blown away! I have been sleeping on this stuff as an overnight hair mask that smells great.
- Smells amazing
- Infused with coconut oil
- Only natural ingredients usage
- Effective hydration
After a few days, my over-damaged hair extension feels like it went through an expensive Olaplex treatment. I have long, thick, and dry hair extensions but the item has managed to revive it.
This product works on a medium hair texture to even coarse ones to calm frizz and manage flyaways easier. The oil helps your hair extension reach the highest perfection level of silky locks with paraben-free natural ingredients.
As this cream quickly penetrates, it will enable effective hydration through extra luster, softness, and sheen to your hair. The warm vanilla scent is suitable for hair extension wearers sensitive to smell.
How to use?
- Take a small amount of oil on your palms and smooth over them.
- Spread the cream evenly on clean damp hair from the top to ends.
- Make sure you do not rinse it off and start hairstyling as usual.
Caution: Avoid making direct contact with the eyes; rinse right away if contact occurs. Use as directed and keep it far from children’s reach.
- Deeply moisturizes your scalp
- Has a nice and pleasant scent
- Strengthens your hair with extra vitamins
- Small size
9. Fushi Wellbeing Organic Jojoba Oil – Best for Vegetarians
The UK Soil Association has certified Fushi fresh-pressed jojoba oil as organic for safe external use. Because the product is unrefined from the jojoba plant, it will ensure the finest aroma and efficiency for hair care.
The jojoba oil is completely silky without grease. As you apply for your hair extension with jojoba oil from this bottle, you will be amazed by how the deep conditioner works on dry scalps.
- Jojoba oil usage
- Silky hair without grease
- Deep conditioning abilities
- Works perfect with dry scalps
I have experienced problems with my scalp extension for years and sensitive skin due to chemicals in the water. Other products are too greasy and make my scalps itchier.
The best thing is this oil has absorbed well and also works quite lovely on my hands.
Fushi’s herbal growers ensure that they use sustainable farming methods. Thanks to its natural formula, this jojoba oil is perfect for vegans and vegetarians to nourish their dry skin and hair.
Moreover, the product receives an ethical award against environmental damage and animal testing.
Its lively glass bottle includes an extra dropper, making it easier to control the flow. I will definitely buy the Fushi organic oil again!
Caution: The dietary supplements in this jojoba oil have not been FDA certified. Thus, it cannot diagnose, cure, or stop any health diseases.
- Soothes dry hair and scalp
- Deeply hydrates
- Develops a protective barrier
- You might not like the smell
10. OGX Extra Strength Argan Oil of Morocco Hair Mask – Best With Rich Nutrients
The last choice on this list is another OGX hair care moisturizer for both real and synthetic hair extensions. Since it does not contain any chemicals, the treatment will give your hair tresses a fresh feeling.
With a large amount of water-based silk proteins infused into the formula, the mask penetrates each hair strand and softens them. Your hair will also obtain an amazing boost in elasticity and growth.
- Infused with argan oil
- Water-based silk proteins
- Nice citrus and floral scent
- Cold-pressed formula
The Argan Oil of Morocco hair mask can indeed heal dry and coarse hair extensions from the inside. Its cold-pressed formula will leave hair locks feeling completely renewed and nourished with rich nutrients.
My hair gets soft and not tangly after using this product. The nice scent from citrus and floral is a bonus to apply it daily on my hair extensions.
How to use?
Apply directly onto damp hair and focus on ends. Dry hair will need to experience moderate application for hydration and smoothness.
Caution: Avoid making direct contact with the eye. Rinse instantly if contact occurs. Use as directed and keep away from children’s reach.
- Boosts natural hair growth
- Maintains a healthy hair
- Makes your hair soft and shiny
- Greasy feeling
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use the oil throughout the scalp for overall hair growth or only in thinning areas?
It is suggested to distribute the oil evenly throughout your hair extension, from the scalp to the ends.
You can put on a shower cap overnight for better nourishment so your hair extension gets softer and more manageable.
How do you moisturize hair extensions?
Follow these simple steps to moisturize your hair extension in the most effective way:
- Apply moisture-rich shampoo evenly on the extensions. Start at the root and get to its tips. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Use deep-conditioning treatment on your hair and concentrate on its ends.
- Wait for approximately 20 minutes. Wash off the treatment with cold or lukewarm water.
- Take a towel to squeeze excess water from your hair extension.
- Put leave-in conditioner on a wide-tooth comb to untangle messed-up extensions.
How to apply the oil on a brush without over-saturating it?
To not spill the content, you want to slightly pop up the dropper and swipe the hair oil brush against the dropper’s side.
This will get you the perfect amount for one use, not too much or too little.
How do you claim a product 100% organic without being certified?
In some cases, you may notice the absence of a certified organic label. It is because the USDA logo costs extra money to display, so some companies put it off the label for a final lower retailer price.
Ideally, the product should read 100% organic certified by USDA to be truly organic. Chemical ingredients may cause irritations in use.
Before you pick any beauty products on this list, you should consider the following factors.
The item volume comes first, then its ability to work with different hair types, including synthetic and real hair growth.
In terms of the best oil for hair extensions, I would choose Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil, Pure Body Naturals Coconut Oil Hair Mask, and OGX Extra Strength Coconut Miracle Oil due to their great effects on growing your hair and restoring its natural beauty.
Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil
Scalp nourishment oil
Organically certified formula
Plenty of fatty acids and beneficial nutrients
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!