3 Methods To Remove Tape Hair Extension Residue At Home
While short hair has its own beauty, we have to admit that the more hair you have, the more versatile styles your hair can be.
Although they will only temporarily exist on your head, it’s still a perfect way to have long hair without waiting for months and years to grow.
However, everything has its pros and cons, and hair extensions tend to leave old tape residue on your scalp or real hair. So how to get rid of it and what would be the best method? You will find the answers to all these questions in our article.
See also: How to remove dreadlock extensions?
What removes old tape residue?
One of the disadvantages that make some people hesitate using hair extension is its glue residue on hair. The tape usually leaves the annoying adhesive glue on our hair after each application. So what product can take it out of our hair?
Like other kinds of tape or glue lingered on other surfaces, hair extension glue can be removed by alcohol-based or oil-based products.
The operating principle is the alcohol or oil will penetrate the tape residue to soften and loosen it. Thereby, you can easily banish it from your hair forever.
Conditioners can work either. The high content of moisture will also help unstiffen the glue on your hair and make it easier to be taken away.
How do you remove hair extension glue at home?
Instead of throwing money on salons, you can take hair extension glue residue out of your hair at home following our instruction below.
Method 1: Using oil
Things you’ll need:
- Apply oil to the parts that have hair extension glue
- Leave it for at least 15 minutes to loosen the glue
- Comb your hair to remove the glue residue
- Repeat step 3 until the glue is completely removed
Method 2: Using commercial remover
Things you’ll need:
- Hair extension glue remover
- Hair clip
- Clip the section of hair which doesn’t have tape residue on to show the glue sticking on your hair
- Wear the prepared gloves
- Apply the remover to the glue residue evenly
- Use your fingers to gently stroke your hair down to the tip and break the glue
- Repeat step 4 until the glue is completely removed
Does acetone remove hair extension glue?
Yes, acetone can be helpful to get hair extension glue out of your hair. Although this substance can be found in regular nail polish, to have a better result, we would like to mention the one with 99% acetone included.
However, acetone can damage your hair and make it too dry. Therefore, when using acetone to remove hair extension tape residue, just apply a small amount of acetone in a cotton pad and gently dab it in the desired part of hair. Don’t pull your hair too strong, or you will have to face hair loss or breakage.
We believe that after reading this article, hair extension glue residue isn’t a big deal anymore.
You can take it away with a store-bought hair extension glue remover, or opt for a more natural ingredient like oil or alcohol-based product. Don’t forget to wear gloves whenever using chemicals to avoid skin irritation.
- The 20 Best Shampoos and Conditioners for Tape Extensions
- The 10 Best Oils for Hair Extensions
- 8 Steps To Keep Synthetic Hair From Frizzing