How To Dye Your Hair With Food Coloring?
We cannot deny how convenient the hair dye is. Grab one from a somewhat hair care store, follow the labeled instruction and you’ll have a beautiful hair color that can last for a longer term.
However, if you are obsessed with changing your hair color too frequently, this can cost you an arm and a leg, and also damage your hair. So have you ever thought about dyeing hair with other alternatives like food coloring? While this edible dye can bring color to your food, so why not your hair?
Let’s check it out in this article below and you will know whether it really works to dye your hair with food coloring and how to do it. It would be good news if this happens, as you can save an abundance of money by using this inexpensive ingredient instead of spending them on salons.
Can you color hair with food coloring?
Yes, you can dye your hair with food coloring, isn’t it interesting? Of course you cannot expect it to stay in your hair permanently as a store-bought product until you change the color.
However, this budget-friendly dyeing method is really fun to try, especially when you want to break the old order just for a few days, and get back to your normal life just after a wash.
How long does food coloring stay in your hair?
Food coloring works as a temporary hair dye, or a semi-permanent one, depending on what you mix with it, your hair type, and how often you wash your hair.
So usually, it can stay up to four weeks. However, the color will fade out gradually after each shampoo.
How to dip dye your hair with food coloring?
Dyeing with food coloring might be a little different from using the commercial store-bought hair color. Therefore, you will want to keep your eyes on the instruction below to have the best temporary hair dye ever.
Things you’ll need:
- Old newspaper or plastic sheet
- Old clothes and plastic gloves
- Plastic wrap or aluminum foil
- A shower cap
- A hair dryer
- A nonmetallic bowl
- An applicator brush
- White conditioner/ developer
- Food coloring
- Protect your surroundings from food coloring by covering the floor and furnitures with newspaper or plastic sheet
- Lighten or bleach your hair if needed
- Mix 2 tablespoons of white conditioner (for temporary dye)/ developer (for semi-permanent dye) with 1 tablespoon of food coloring
- Wear the gloves and use the brush to apply the mixture to your hair from root to top (choose the desired section and wrap with aluminum foil if you only want to highlight)
- Wrap your hair with a shower cap and leave the dye on your hair for 30 minutes to 2 hours
- Rinse your hair with cool water
- Blow-dry your hair on low-setting
Apply the color wheel principle to add some blue or purple colors to your homemade dyeing mixture. It will help cancel out the unwanted brassy and yellow pigments on your hair.
How do you dye your dark hair with food coloring?
It will be the same way as coloring other hair. However, since you possess dark hair, the color might not show up at all. So you can choose to bleach or lighten your hair before starting the above instruction.
If the resulting color isn’t a big deal, you can still maintain your hair’s health without bleaching it, just dye it normally.
How can you dye your hair without dye?
Is it possible to dye without a hair dye? Of course, using the aforementioned food coloring is one of many ways.
But you have more than just food coloring to temporarily dye your hair without adding any toxic or chemicals to it. Below are some of our suggestions:
- Mix beet juice with coconut or olive oil in a liberal ratio
- Apply the mixture on your hair
- Wrap with a shower cap and leave it for about an hour or more
- Rinse with cool water and dry with a hair dryer
- Brew a cup of strong dark-roast coffee
- Mix ½ cup of coffee with 2 tbsp of coffee grounds and 1 cup of leave-in conditioner
- Apply the mixture on your hair from root to top or desired portions
- Wrap with a shower cap and leave it for at least an hour
- Rinse with cool water and dry your hair
- Mix ½ cup of henna powder with ¼ cup of water to create a slushy mixture
- Let the mixture sit for about 12 hours
- Apply the paste to your clean and damp hair thoroughly
- Wrap with a shower cap and leave it for at least 2 hours
- Rinse your hair with cool water and dry
These natural and inexpensive ingredients can be applied to your hair several times until reaching the desired color.