4 Steps To Dye Your Hair Two Different Colors Top And Bottom (Ombré Hair) At Home
Ombré hair (the hair style in which the bottom hair part has lightened color than the top portion) has been the trendy hair color for years – and seems like people are still in love with this color so much.
Although ombré hair looks pretty fancy, traditional ombré hair doesn’t take a lot of time and effort for having and maintaining the color. In this article we will show you how to dye your hair into ombré at home.
Can I Dye My Hair Two Different Colors in One Day?
Dying your hair twice in a day is not recommended, especially for people with fragile and sensitive scalp. There are several possible damages when it comes to dying your hair too frequently.
Firstly, your scalp will get a direct effect from the chemicals in dye products, which causes scalp irritation, hair loss or white spot on the scalp.
Secondly, chemicals in hair dyes damage the hair cuticles so badly. When the dying process and the after care is not done properly, your hair will become too dry and frizz. Thus, breakage will likely happen.
The acceptable frequency of having your hair recolored is about four to six weeks.
Do You Dye Hair From Top to Bottom?
The correct way to dye your hair is to start applying dye from the root base to the ends of your hair. This way is to make sure the entire part of your hair is taken care of, and the color will be even.
For having traditional ombré hair, you might only need to bleach or dye the end part of your hair instead of coloring the whole part.
How Do You Mix Different Hair Colors?
In order to have the perfect color that you want to achieve, you might consider following these mixing rules:
- Choose the base color first: This is to decide whether you want to go with light or dark color.
- Cool goes with cool, warm and warm: Do not mix a cool color with a warm one, the counteraction will happen.
- Can mix either Cool or Warm color with the base color to create color reflect.
After reading through the rules, now you can start the mixing:
- Step 1: Choose the color base: either dark or light. You should also decide which is the desired end color that you want for your hair so you have an idea on which dyes to buy.
- Step 2: Purchasing 2 dye products from the same brand (for better mix and effect). Prepare a big bowl, a brush, towel and gloves for carrying on the mixing.
- Step 3: After mixing up the developer and the dye, then you might want to follow the common examples of mix people have tried and succeeded before:
- You 1:1 ratio if you want to copy the color later if needed
- For the different ratio, remember to note down the ratio carefully so you can replicate it later
- You should use a scale or the same unit to take enough amount of color dye for the mixture
- Step 4: Pour the color into the developer and dye mixture, then well-mix the liquid together.
- How To Mix and Apply Ion Hair Color And Developer?
- What Happens If You Put Too Much Developer In Hair Dye?
How Do You Dye Your Hair Two Different Colors Top And Bottom?
Now we come to the most interesting part: how to dye your hair two different colors.
In order not to let the dye chemicals hurt your scalp, you might need to have your hair unwashed for about 48 hours before the bleaching/dying process.
Here are the things you need for having beautiful ombré hair: elastic bands, silver wrapping paper, hair clips and the mixture you’ve done earlier.
- Step 1: Section your hair into small parts, tie them with elastic bands to separate the part for different colors.
- Step 2: Bleach the bottom part so that it can reach the lighter color better. Applying the bleach mixture to the desired parts, then wrap them up with the silver wrapping paper and let them sit for about 30 minutes. After that, wash and dry your hair.
- Step 3: Apply the dye mixture to the newly bleached part, have them covered with foils and let them sit for another 20 to 30 minutes. For dying the top parts, you can place them on a foil, then apply the dye in a downward motion, then fold them up.
- Step 4: Remove the foil and wash your hair. For keeping long-lasting color, you can consider dipping your newly dyed hair into a bowl of apple cider vinegar.
Related: How long to wait to dye hair after bleaching?
Ombré hair is a cool and low-maintenance hairstyle that is worth trying once in a lifetime! Let’s do it and share with us how the outcome looks like!