How To Dye Purple Hair Without Bleaching It?
Are you in the mood for magical and mysterious purple hair?
You, like everyone else, will choose the bleaching process as a must-have step to raise the tone to the vibrant violet or pastel lavender. Yet the downside is probably visible to us that bleaching is quite harmful to your strands, especially your hair is already damaged in the first place.
Luckily, dyeing dark hair purple without beaching is possible for those who are seeking, and this article is going to give you the solution.
Permanent and Semi-Permanent: Which One to Choose?
If you want to get purple hair without lightening the hair with lots of peroxides, it is recommended to use permanent or semi-permanent hair dye.
Permanent hair dye contains peroxide, which lightens the hair color and allows the purple tone to show up much more. Of course, permanent dyes are more damaging to the hair due to the ingredients they are made of.
A less damaging but effective way of dyeing your hair purple without bleaching it would be using semi-permanent hair dyes.
These contain no ammonia. This kind of hair dyes works on the surface of the hair. They do not go deep into the cortex. This is the reason why semi-permanent hair dyes are not long-lasting and fade after twenty or so washes.
So you should consider the current state of your strands, whether they are healthy or not to determine which product to choose.
Check out: The 15 Best Purple Hair Dyes for Dark Hair without Bleach
How to Dye Your Hair Purple with Katam
Katam is a natural hair dye that is sometimes known as black henna, which is similar to indigo hair dye.
It has recently been rediscovered and is a great way to keep your hair natural while still changing its color. To make the most of katam, you will have to use a mixture of katam and henna.
Things you’ll need
- Henna powder
- Katam hair dye powder
- Shower cap
- Step 1: Mix henna and water in a bowl to form a paste.
- Step 2: Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Step 3: Apply the mixture onto your hair. Make sure you saturate it thoroughly from root to tip to spread the pigments evenly.
- Step 4: Let the mixture sit on your hair for more 5 hours. Wearing a shower cap to maintain it on your strands without wiping it all over the place.
- Step 5: Rinse your hair with warm water and leave it dry naturally.
- Step 6: Mix katam with water and apply it to hair immediately.
- Step 7: Let it sit for five more hours
- Step 7: Rinse your hair only with water
- Katam is definitely the healthiest way to dye your hair purple without bleach. It is natural color, it does not damage your hair, and it lasts long. Yet Katam will fade over time, and you will achieve a stable color only after 3 applications. We recommend you apply katam once a month.
- There are many different products that claim to be black henna. Some of these contain unlisted chemicals that can be detrimental to your skin. Only purchase quality products that have good review.
See also: The 20 Best Henna Hair Dyes
How to Dye Your Hair Purple With Hair Dye
Without hair bleaching, the hair coloring process will only achieve a kind of low purple shade, yet the result is still very promising for you.
The first thing in this, you need to do is choosing the right hair dye that suits your expectation and wishes, whether it is permanent or semi-permanent products.
Things you’ll need
- Hair dye (permanent or semi-permanent)
- Hair coloring kit
- Non-metallic bowl
- Shower cap
- Step 1: Section off your hair. This step will help you distribute the dye evenly throughout the hair in the further steps so that the end result is not uneven and patchy hair.
- Step 2: Protect your skin by applying the vaseline to the hairline, back of the neck as well as around the ears. The hair dye will not only irritate your skin like every chemical product would do but also stain it as well.
- Step 3: Mixing the hair dye with a cream base that comes with it into a non-metallic bowl. Stir well to get it well-mixed.
- Step 4: Apply the dye mixture to your hair. Start applying the hair dye by each section, from root to tip. Making sure you have covered all the parts and always wear gloves.
- Step 5: Once you are done applying the hair dye, let it sit in your hair for around 30 minutes. It is best to read the instructions to learn how long you should leave the dye in your hair as it depends on the type of product you are using. We suggest you should put on a hair cap while the color develops.
- Step 6: Rinse it with cold water to remove all of the chemicals on your hair. Remember to avoid shampooing it for the following three days. This will help you maintain the hair color for much longer.
- Step 7: Condition your hair. This step will not only nurture your hair with nutrients but also soften the hair and give them the shinny look
- Use dry shampoo for colored hair. As purple hair dyes fade quite quickly, try not to wash your hair as often. Use dry shampoo whenever possible to give your hair a fresher look instead of shampooing it every time. In a word, avoid frequent washes as much as you can.
- Avoid the sun. Shades like purple fade very quickly, and the sun is one of the causes that can accelerate the fading process. Direct sunlight should be avoided if you want the purple in your hair to stay longer.
- Avoid chlorinated pool water. Chlorine, as an ingredient, has bleaching properties. Being in the pool very frequently may dry out and dull purple hair color. To protect colored hair from chlorine, consider wearing a swim cap if you want your purple hair unaffected and vibrant.
How to Maintain Purple Hair and Prevent Fading
Purple color is a bright color and so vibrant that you will notice the fading process happens quickly, whether you use a temporary or permanent dye.
If you apply a semi-permanent, you’ll need to reapply the color every one to two weeks to maintain the vibrancy.
Permanent dyes won’t fade as quickly, but it isn’t “permanent” like the name it conveys. You still need to retouch them every few weeks. If you don’t want the harshness of the ingredients within the product, you can apply the semi-permanent dye onto the permanent dye to add vibrancy back in.
One more trick to maintain is that you can add a few drops of purple hair dyes into your daily shampoo bottle for purple hair to brighten the purple in your hair. Try to go for sulfate-free hair products as they are better for dyed hair.
Whether you choose which product and which way toward your expectations, please try to take care of it and do it properly as we have shown to achieve the best result as well as keep your strands healthy as possible.
We hope that after this article, you can have the vibrancy, confidence and the beauty as the result of a bright purple brings to you.
See also: How to Use Splat Hair Dye Without Bleach?