The 15 Best Sulfate-Free Purple Shampoos
Going blonde is like opening yourself up to a world of glitz and glamour. Your hair is striking and fabulous like those models in the magazines, and it’s oh-so Instagram selfie-worthy!
But being a certified blondie isn’t all fun and games. You have to put in a lot of work to maintain your new blonde locks to keep them golden and glimmering.
And if there’s one product that’s going to help you do it, it’s purple shampoo. Not just any purple shampoo—the sulfate-free kind.
Switching over to a sulfate-free purple shampoo will do wonders for your blonde hair. It maintains the vibrancy of your color while toning it so that it doesn’t look too brassy and warm.
It’s the key to keeping your blonde waves gorgeous and salon-beautiful.
Luseta Purple Shampoo
- Beneficial nutrients and vitamins
- Repairs split ends
- Protein-enriched purple shampoo
Pravana The Perfect Blonde Purple Toning Shampoo
- Excellent quality of the product
- Formulated from best ingredients available
- Deposits the purple evenly
L’Oreal EverPure Sulfate-Free Purple Shampoo
- Hydrating formula for extra moisture
- Works great with color-treated hair
- Infused with hibiscus and purple dye
What is purple shampoo for?
Purple shampoo is a must-have if you’re a blondie. It’s a shampoo that contains special violet micro-pigments that neutralize brassiness in the hair.
Translation: these pigments wash away any warm tone that makes your blonde hair look unflatteringly warm and yellowish.
Why purple? It’s simple. On the color wheel, the colors that sit right across from each other cancel each other out. That’s just the rules of color theory.
So when you have something yellow (your brassy hair), you can cancel it out with something purple (the pigments in your shampoo).
When you first get your hair colored in the salon, your colorist probably toned your hair with a violet solution to remove any kind of overly gold tones peeking through, leaving your locks ashy.
But over time, your shampoo might wash away this glossy tone, allowing brassiness to show up.
Brassiness can also peek through if you don’t take care of your hair properly.
The more you heat-style, go out without heat protectant, and expose yourself to water with hard minerals, your hair might get more and more brassy—and that’s never a good look on anyone.
While you can purchase professional-level toner and apply it at home, it can be too much work. So if you want a more convenient option, purple shampoo is the way to go.
It’s just like your regular shampoo, except it deposits purple pigment in your hair as you wash to eliminate any yellows and golds that are destroying your hairstyle.
Blondes love purple shampoos because they’re super convenient. All you have to do is use it in the shower three times a week to maintain your cool blonde color.
Why is a sulfate-free shampoo better for blonde hair?
When buying a purple shampoo, make sure the formula you end up getting is sulfate-free.
What are sulfates, you ask? These are the harsh cleaning ingredients you find in many shampoos and soaps. They’re responsible for creating that lather of fat bubbles when you shower.
Sulfates are very stripping, so they can dehydrate your hair and eliminate the natural moisture keeping your hair shiny and smooth.
And if you’ve bleached and colored your hair blonde, you need that moisture because your hair is likely damaged and thirsty for hydration.
Using a sulfated shampoo is also a massive no-no for color-treated hair. Aside from stripping your strands of moisture, it can also wash away your hair color, allowing it to fade faster.
You’ll find that if you switch to a sulfate-free shampoo, your blonde hair will last a lot longer. Cutting out sulfates from your routine will always mean extending the lifespan of your color.
Here are some of the best sulfate-free purple shampoos you can check out today:
1. Luseta Purple Shampoo
This Luseta shampoo was designed specifically for blondies and grey-haired ladies that want to cut down yellowness in their tresses. It helps repair split ends and adds a beautiful gloss to your locks.
Aside from violet pigments that cut down brassiness, it’s formulated with proteins that fortify the hair, as well as coconut oil that nourishes and moisturizes it deeply.
- Protein-enriched formula
- Plenty of beneficial vitamins
- Keeps the pH level normal
- Work great with color-treated hair
It will leave your hair strong and moisturized, which is great if you’re nursing your hair to health after your dye job.
- Repairs hair follicles
- Enhances healthy growth
- Repairs split ends and keeps the hair undamaged
- Doesn’t work great with grey hair
2. Pravana The Perfect Blonde Purple Toning Shampoo
Pravana’s toning shampoo is formulated with a special dual ultra-violet dye system, making it super efficient in eliminating brassiness in your hair with its purple pigments.
It also has optical brighteners that leave your locks looking light-reflective and full of dimension.
- Careful care for your hair
- Works great with keratin-treated hair
- Doesn’t fade the color
- Formulated with best ingredients
The shampoo is infused with wheat, silk amino acids, and keratin to strengthen your hair and make it more resilient against damage. They also work to keep your locks smooth and silky to the touch.
- Ramps up your hair’s health
- Gives a growth boost
- Repairs damaged hairs
- Can cause allergic reactions
L’Oreal EverPure Sulfate-Free Purple Shampoo
This purple shampoo by L’Oreal is one of the holy grails you’ll find at the drugstore. It’s made with purple dye and hibiscus extracts that tone your hair properly, zapping away brassiness and yellow tones in one wash.
It also leaves the hair super moisturized and soft, which is excellent for bleached and fragile hair. It’s a great shampoo that cleanses the hair properly without leaving your hair too squeaky clean.
- Infused with hibiscus and purple dye
- Sulfate free formula
- Lush lather and rich conditioning
- Validated by stylists
This vegan formula doesn’t contain harmful ingredients that can irritate your scalp, such as parabens and harsh salts.
- Deep cleanse effect
- Doesn’t dry out the scalp
- Moisturizes and leaves hair brighter
- Works best on thin hair
4. Framesi Color Lover Dynamic Blonde Purple Shampoo
This Framesi shampoo contains purple pigments to wash away brassiness in your blonde hair, leaving it brighter, whiter, and ashier. In fact, it extends the lifespan of your hair color to 95% longer.
It also has quinoa proteins and other conditioning agents that make your hair soft yet strong and bouncy.
- Unique formula for extra moisture
- Doesn’t let UX to fade the color
- Works well with all types of hair
- Doesn’t dry out your skin
This shampoo has an earthy, woodsy, spicy scent that you’re sure to love if you’re into unique and musky scents. They’ll leave your hair looking fresh and smelling super good!
- Does a great job removing yellow shades
- Keeps your hair undamaged
- Repairs split ends
- Dries out your hair
5. Not Your Mother’s Blonde Moment Purple Shampoo and Conditioner
This shampoo by Not Your Mother’s contains violet rice extracts that help tone your blonde hair while strengthening it and preventing breakage.
The formula can be enjoyed by blondes of all hair types, from those with straight hair to others with coily, springy curls.
- Gentle nourishing effect
- Dark violet pigments
- Reduced brassiness
- Violet rice extract
This fabulous shampoo comes with a matching conditioner containing the same purple pigments to neutralize warm tones in your blonde locks while softening and smoothing out frizz.
- Cleanses and moisturizes your hair
- Helps tone and maintain blonde hair
- Lathers great
- Need big amount of product
6. ArtNaturals Purple Shampoo
If you’re looking at a more organic formula, you’ll love this purple shampoo from ArtNaturals.
It’s made not only for toning your blonde hair, but also to protect against UV rays and hard minerals like chlorine, which can destroy your hair color and make it fade faster.
- Coconut extract to moisturize and hydrate
- Beneficial vitamins and nutrients
- Plenty minerals and oils
- Fights dry scalp and dandruff
The shampoo is also infused with coconut extracts that nourish the hair and add hydration to bring your locks back to life. Meanwhile, vitamin E stimulates your hair follicles, calms the scalp, and encourages growth.
- Repairs damaged hairs and encourage hair growth
- Vitamin E to stimulate scalp circulation
- Moisturizes and keeps the hair color
- Doesn’t lather much
7. Pureology Strength Cure Blonde Purple Shampoo
This shampoo by Pureology does everything you want for your blonde hair. It eliminates brassiness to bring your hair back to that ashy, flattering tone while strengthening your bleached, probably damaged hair.
- Rich lather shampoo
- Perfect for damaged and lightened hair
- Deeply nourishing effect
- Concentrated formula
To top it all off, it even protects your hair color to make sure it lasts long, thanks to sunflower seed oil and vitamin E. These two ingredients also help moisturize the hair without leaving it feeling too greasy.
- Provides a nice cleanse
- Best for chemically treated hair
- Keeps the color vibrant
- Doesn’t go well with oily hair
8. Marc Daniels Lush Luminous Blonde Purple Shampoo
This concentrated purple shampoo by Marc Daniels does a fantastic job at getting rid of warmth and gold tones in the hair.
So much so that it’s suitable not only for blondes, but also for those with grey, white, and silver hair.
- UV protection
- Natural sage and rosemary leaf extracts
- Vitamin A and C for hair growth
- Natural anti-oxidants
It’s made with high-quality blue cypress oil that helps cancel out brassiness while providing light hydration to your locks.
It also features pro-vitamin B5, a popular hair vitamin that fortifies the hair and brings it back to life from dullness.
- Repairs damaged hairs
- Works great with sensitive scalps
- Neutralizes brassy yellow tones
- Can make your scalp feel itchy
9. Ethique Tone It Down Purple Shampoo Bar
If you’re trying to cut down on plastic waste and are open to trying something a little different, this purple shampoo bar by Ethique might intrigue you.
It’s like a regular purple shampoo but compact and shaped into a tiny yet powerful square. It keeps brassiness and stark yellow streaks in your hair at bay.
- Great vanilla and jasmine scent
- Made with cocoa butter
- pH balanced formula
- Palm-oil and aluminium free
It’s made with exotic babassu and jasmine oils to cleanse and hydrate your hair. On the other hand, beetroot extracts increase your hair color’s longevity.
- Keeps yellow tones at bay
- Adds shine and health
- Works great with sensitive types of skin
- Price is high
10. ColorProof SignatureBlonde Violet Shampoo
ColorProof prides itself on this purple shampoo formula, which is rich in sunflower seed extracts. This ingredient protects against UV rays, which extends your color and keeps it vivid and glossy for longer.
Aside from correcting brassiness, this violet shampoo also hydrates the hair, so it never feels stripped of moisture.
- Color protection
- Pure violet pigment
- Cold-pressed sunflower seed extract
- Developed for color-treated hair
It softens the hair so much that you’ll only be left with locks that are smooth, silky, and gorgeously shiny.
- Very concentrated formula
- Doesn’t let the sun fade the effect away
- Keeps the yellow stains away
- Doesn’t work for all types of hair
11. Fanola Free No Yellow Shampoo
Fanola is a famous hair care brand for toning shampoos, but they didn’t offer sulfate-free shampoos for the longest time.
However, this no-yellow shampoo is finally one created without harsh sulfates, so they’re super safe to use on your blonde-colored locks!
- Premium ingredients usage
- Vibrant violet pigments
- Standard pH level
- Works great with greys
It’s formulated to perform professionally, with special violet pigments that efficiently wash away brassiness to tone your hair blonde hair correctly and give it a silvery undertone.
- Prevents color-treated hairs from unwanted yellow hues
- Cleanses all the impurities
- Doesn’t dry out your hair and scalp
- Can make your hair feel greasy
12. Moroccanoil Blonde Perfecting Purple Shampoo
If you want a more luxurious toning experience, you can opt for the Moroccanoil purple shampoo.
The color-safe formula contains violet pigments that wash away unwanted tones like yellow and yellow-orange to keep your blonde hair looking luscious and fresh.
- Uses argan oil
- Rich in vitamins and antioxidants
- Has a signature scent
- Beneficial fatty acids and oils
It’s designed with the brand’s unique ArganID technology, which allows the formula to inject argan oil into your hair.
This makes your hair super nourished and plump, all while adding a brilliant, luminous shine to your locks that can boost your confidence.
- Brings out the best of the color
- Gives a brilliant natural shine
- Works with all types of hair
- Needs a lot of product for good results
13. SexyHair Bright Blonde Violet Shampoo
This shampoo by SexyHair cleanses the hair gently yet thoroughly to ensure that your scalp isn’t irritated and your blonde hair doesn’t lose its color.
It’s infused with purple pigments to fight against brassiness so that you can go back to your cool blonde look.
- Uses chamomile oils for moisturizing
- Quinoa protein and honey
- Amazing scent
- Fights dried out hairs
It’s also formulated with quinoa to repair and fortify your hair, which is very important when it comes to caring for damaged, bleached hair.
There’s also some chamomile and honey in the formula, which aid in keeping your blonde color vibrant and brilliant. They also add a glossy shine to your hair, making it look and feel healthy.
- Lathers great
- Enhances natural beauty
- Keeps the yellow at bay
- Need to shampoo daily
14. amika Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde Shampoo
amika’s purple shampoo for blondes is made with deep, ultra-violet pigments that wash away any sign of harsh brassiness, no matter how small.
It contains wild cherry bark extracts to help extend the life of your color, so it doesn’t fade too early. It’s also rich in amino acids and vitamins A, D, and B to keep your damaged hair strong and beautiful.
- Wild cherry extract
- Plenty of nutrients
- Amino acids and minerals for strength
- Vitamins for a better hair growth
This shampoo contains avocado oil and sea buckthorn oil, which help nourish your locks to restore their healthy moisture levels. They also leave your tresses smooth and shiny.
- Keeps your hair manageable
- Provides a nice, smooth texture
- Gives a nice scent
- Can break sensitive hairs
15. Joico Blonde Life Violet Shampoo
This purple shampoo by Joico is rich in moisturizing oils that leave your hair feeling conditioned and smooth.
It has monoi oil, coconut oil, tamanu oil, and amino acids that smoothen the hair and leave it hydrated all day long.
- Exotic blend of coconut oil and tahitian gardenia flower
- Plenty of omega-3 and 9
- Arginine to protect your hair
- Rosehip oil and keratin for extra strength
It’s also designed with a unique SmartRelease technology that releases goodies like keratin and rosehip oil into your hair strands, making them even more smooth and luscious.
The violet pigments in the formula banish yellow tones for good so that you can go back to flaunting your blonde hair without worrying about brassiness.
- Nourishes blondes and adds strength
- Makes your hair look shiny and soft
- Instantly cools brassy tones
- Doesn’t go well with oily hairs
When caring for your blonde hair, there are two essential things you need to remember. One is that you have to tone your hair to keep your cool and ashy blonde color.
The other is that you should avoid sulfates, so you don’t wash out your hair dye prematurely.
As long as you get a shampoo that does both of these, you’ll be good to go and can enjoy flaunting your blonde hair like it’s nobody’s business.
So instead of picking up your regular schmegular shampoo in the grocery aisle, switch over to sulfate-free purple shampoo.
It’s better for your blonde hair and will make it look cool, vibrant, and flattering for as long as possible.
Luseta Purple Shampoo
Beneficial nutrients and vitamins
Repairs split ends
Protein-enriched purple shampoo
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!