Best Shampoos Without Harmful Chemicals
By now, you might have heard and read everywhere about the adverse effects of shampoos containing harsh ingredients and chemicals.
These shampoos are experts in stripping off the natural oils while making your hair bone dry and rough.
But then, what is a healthy alternative to harsh chemical-ridden shampoos?
The answer is simple and – Natural! People who want to make a switch from regular shampoos should consider investing in shampoos with natural ingredients and zero harmful chemicals.
These products are excellent in keeping your mane naturally healthy, smooth, supple, and nourished after every wash.
Below we have curated a reliable list of the ten best shampoos that do not contain an iota of harmful chemicals in their formula.
Top 10 Shampoos That Don’t Contain Harmful Chemicals
1. Avalon Organics Natural Shampoo
- Hair type: Normal
- Scent: Lavender
- Free from: Phthalate-free, Sulfate-free, Paraben-free
Our first natural product is the Avalon Organics Natural Nourishing Lavender Shampoo which has a certified organic formula made with pure essential oils and plant-based botanicals. This shampoo contains no GMOs, harsh preservatives, parabens, synthetic fragrances or colors, and phthalates.
Adding to the chemical-free formulations, this Avalon Lavender Shampoo is vegan and cruelty-free. The brand believes in combining effective formulations from modern science with the purity of natural botanical ingredients.
Its rich botanicals moisturize and replenish each hair strand. The lavender essential oil, aloe, quinoa protein, vitamin E oil, and babassu oil make your hair feel ultra-shiny, smooth, and soft to the touch. If you have considerably dry or brittle hair, the formula is perfect for rejuvenating and replenishing the head with essential moisture and oils.
- The product has a soothing lavender smell, perfect for a calming showering experience.
- The essential oils aren’t overpowering in the formula.
- The formula is Phthalate-free, Sulfate-free, and Paraben-free.
- This shampoo is incredibly excellent for dry hair types.
- Many consumers feel that the product seems watered down.
2. MAJESTIC PURE Shampoo And Coconut Conditioner Set
- Hair type: All
- Scent: Coconut
- Free from: Chemical-free, Paraben-free, Sulfate-free
The MAJESTIC PURE Shampoo is formulated using vinegar and apple extracts, while the MAJESTIC PURE Conditioner is rich with coconut and avocado oils. The set smells heavenly without any typical petrochemicals or synthetic fragrances.
This product is perfect for people looking for a complete set of natural shampoo and conditioner. The brand promises to keep your hair healthy and hydrated with its innovative and safe sulfate-free formula.
Because of its natural ingredients and gentle formula, the product is not harsh on your scalp, making it the best daily shampoo and conditioner set on the market. The set works in complete unison to remove product buildups while hydrating and nourishing the scalp and hair to the maximum.
Its conditioner won’t weigh your hair down. We were impressed that the set is a color-safe shampoo and conditioner set, which is hard to find, especially in natural shampoos. People with itchy scalp and dandruff can heavily rely on this product as it soothes the scalp during the washing and conditioning process.
Additionally, the product is excellent in keeping the natural frizz under control. This set is cruelty-free and has not been tested on any animals during its R&D process. Lastly, this rich shampoo and conditioner set is ideal for all hair types, but we highly recommend this for dry and damaged hair.
- The product is made in the USA.
- Its formulation is gentle for everyday use.
- The duo is a perfect color-protect shampoo and conditioner.
- People of all hair types can benefit from this product.
- This MAJESTIC PURE product comes in a set of shampoo and conditioner.
- The pumps are of inferior quality, making it hard to remove pump out the product easily
- The ingredients do not contain apple cider vinegar but apple fruit extracts and vinegar separately.
3. PURE NATURE Argan Oil Shampoo And Conditioner
- Hair type: Oily, Dry, Normal
- Scent: Mild Musk
- Free from: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate-free, Gluten-free, Paraben-free
This Morrocan oil-based shampoo and conditioner maximize hair’s health by leaving it supple and shiny within a few washes. The set is excellent in hydrating and restoring the moisturizing levels of hair types. Its incredibly safe formula is perfect for colored or keratin-treated hair.
Additionally, its thermal and UV protectant ingredients nourish and repair the tresses that regularly go through constant heat damage. People who use curling irons, straightening machines, or blow dryers every day should consider this combo for naturally healthy hair.
The set contains no sulfates, glutens, or parables that can harm even the healthiest mane. This product is perfect for all hair types, especially those with extra-thick, frizzy, or curly hair patterns. The shampoo and conditioner’s deep hydrating formula leaves the hair ultra-soft and manageable without any frizz or unruly flyaways. The conditioner will aid in curl definition for people with wavy to curly hair types.
- The product comes with an equally hydrating conditioner.
- Buyers can use this product on all hair types, including frizzy and extra curly patterns.
- This PURE NATURE shampoo and conditioner set is ideal for colored and keratin-treated hair.
- The products also provide sufficient protection from daily pollutants and heat treatments.
- Even 4C hair types can see a true curl definition with this shampoo and conditioner set.
- The product is not suitable for dry hair types as it dehydrates the scalp and makes the hair fragile.
4. Avalon Organics Thickening Shampoo
- Hair type: All
- Scent: Herbal Citrus
- Free from: Paraben-free
Avalon Organics is genuinely one of the most successful organic and natural products brands. Their formulators relentlessly seek plant-based organic ingredients that are of superior quality. In addition to the organic ingredients, the company ensures that each raw material is sourced from trusted companies and material houses to maintain the quality.
The company’s one product that features excellent natural ingredients is the Avalon Organics Thickening Shampoo. This thickening shampoo contains a natural Biotin B complex that enables the users to experience rapid hair thickening via natural elements. The product is a perfect blend of biotin, saw palmetto, quinoa protein, and vitamin E, nourishing your mane from the root to the tip.
The shampoo gently cleanses and nourishes fine or thin hair to help build volume with continuous use. Moreover, the formula is genuinely organic, plant-based, and contains natural essential oils and botanicals.
The company also boasts that its shampoo is vegan and does not contain GMOs, parabens, harsh preservatives, phthalates, synthetic colors, or synthetic fragrances. Additionally, each formula is tested on human hair, not animals, making it a cruelty-free product.
- The product is beneficial for people with thin hair as it gives unmatched volume after several uses.
- The shampoo contains organic botanicals and is devoid of GMOs, parabens, and phthalates.
- It is a completely cruelty-free brand
- Vitamin E nourishes the hair without stripping away the natural oils.
- The shampoo barely lathers, so people who enjoy thick lather might be disappointed with the product.
5. WOW, Skin Science Vinegar Shampoo
- Hair type: Oily, Dry, Normal
- Scent: Mild and Sweet
- Free from: Silicone-free, Sulfate-free, Gluten-free, Paraben-free
This WOW Skin Science Vinegar Shampoo is a perfect product if you wish to have silkier and softer hair less prone to split ends and breakage. The unique formula containing saw palmetto helps reduce hair loss, while the apple cider vinegar makes it considerably softer and thicker with each wash.
When massaged with correct movements, the shampoo will stimulate hair follicles, speeding up the growth process while leaving the hair feeling rejuvenated. Its powerful active ingredients also remove dirt, dust, and dead scalp while cleansing your scalp to the maximum.
This non-hypoallergenic shampoo is sulfates, paraben, and cruelty-free with natural ingredients for a healthy scalp. Its sweet almond oil promotes extreme shine and strength, while the copious amount of argan oil moisturizes the scalp and finally protects it from everyday light damage.
Lastly, the nettle leaf extract adds the goodness of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that are excellent to soothe the scalp. If you are looking for a reliable clarifying shampoo with natural ingredients, WOW Skin Science Vinegar Shampoo is your product.
- The product is a perfect cleansing shampoo, especially for curly hairs.
- This shampoo has excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The powerful ingredients make the hair less prone to breakage.
- Buyers may feel considerably silky and thicker hair after constant use.
- Many reviewers noticed that the shampoo leaves a residue after each wash.
6. Tea Tree Special Shampoo
- Hair type: All
- Scent: Tea tree
- Free from: Paraben-free
The Tea Tree Special Shampoo from John Paul Mitchell Systems is a complete hair care shampoo with organic and natural ingredients. The Tea Tree Special Shampoo gently washes away impurities while leaving the scalp refreshed and squeaky clean.
The primary raw materials like peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and lavender soothe the scalp while leaving your hair smelling fresh and herbal all day long.
The product is paraben-free, vegan, and made using natural ingredients. Furthermore, this tea tree shampoo is perfect for people with colored hair as the formulation is color-safe.
- This chemical-free shampoo is perfectly color-safe.
- Its paraben-free and vegan formula makes it a popular choice amongst users.
- Its tea-tree oil extracts and peppermint is ideal for people who suffer from itchy scalp.
- The product produces a generous lather, a rare sighting for natural shampoos.
- The tingling sensation may feel a bit too strong for the scalp.
7. SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Shampoo
- Hair type: Dry, Damaged, Coily, Curly
- Scent: Shea butter
- Free from: Mineral oil-free, Paraben-free, Phthalate-free, Sulfate-free
To any of you who mainly cannot live without shea butter products, allow us to introduce you to SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Shampoo. This pure shampoo is sulfate-free, which helps in keeping your hair’s natural oils intact.
The shampoo also works exceptionally well in cleansing the scalp while providing intense moisture to the damaged hair. Its healthy hair oils revitalize the hair from the tip to the root while softening them with each wash. The rich key ingredients like Manuka honey, Mafura oil, and Fig extract provide a pleasant yet effective balance of smell and nutrition to the hair.
In addition to the sulfate-free formula, the shampoo also has no parabens, no phthalates, no petrolatum, or mineral oil. The product is cruelty-free and uses fair trade shea butter for responsible manufacturing. Moreover, the company promises to support its community by reinvesting back into it.
- The shampoo formula is constantly tested on family and friends and not on animals.
- Rich ingredients like Manuka honey, Mafura oil, and Fig extracts can nourish your hair by making them smooth and silky.
- The company uses fair trade shea butter for its raw ingredient requirements.
- The product provides ample moisturization to discourage your mane from turning dry and brittle.
- The product shall work to the fullest extent used in conjunction with its conditioner. Else it might leave your hair a little dry.
8. Puracy Natural Shampoo And Conditioner Set
- Hair type: Normal
- Scent: Citrus and Mint
- Free from: Silicone-free, Paraben-free, Phathelets-free, Harsh chemicals-free
If you’re looking for a new brand of shampoo that emphasizes plant-powered performance, then Puracy Natural Shampoo and Conditioner Set ticks all the boxes. The company claims that its shampoo and conditioner set is made from 99.3% natural ingredients.
The formula is crafted with the utmost care by a team of beauty and hair professionals. The raw materials do not contain sulfates or silicones, just natural ingredients to make your tresses smooth, silky, and shiny. Enriched with Lexfeel N5, your hair is bound to feel super clean at all times.
This must-have shower product is formulated for all hair types, sensitive skin, and color-treated hair. The coconut-based cleansers and other essential oils effectively rejuvenate dry scalps and damaged hair. This hypoallergenic, 100% cruelty-free, and USA-made shampoo and conditioner smells of citrus and mint that helps to soothe inflammation.
Apart from the natural formula, Puracy is committed to making the world greener with responsible manufacturing practices. The company uses #1 PETE recyclable plastic bottles and offers BPA-free refill pouches of soaps and conditioners to save more plastic, water, and energy.
Lastly, if the consumers aren’t delighted with their products, the company shall provide a refund.
- This product comes in a shampoo and conditioner set for a thorough cleaning.
- The shampoo and conditioner set is ideal for sensitive skin, hair types, and colored hair.
- Buyers can feel the smoothness and see the difference compared to their prior shampoo.
- The products are made in the USA and are 100% cruelty-free.
- The company manufactures recyclable plastic and refillable pouches for a greener planet.
- Most users aren’t big fans of its strong smell.
9. Love Beauty And Planet Shampoo
- Hair type: Normal
- Scent: Mandarin
- Free from: Sulfate-free, Paraben-free, Silicone-free
Love Beauty and Planet Shampoo come with a 5-in-one multi-benefit formula wherein this sulfate-free shampoo offers five benefits: hydration, deep cleaning, strengthening, softness, and creating visible fullness and volume of hair.
The shampoo will surely uplift your mood with its rich mandarin flavor, infused with vegan biotin and citrus fragrance. This hair shampoo is ideal for colored hair and is paraben, silicone, dye, cruelty, phthalate, and sulfate-free.
The company also boasts that its shampoo is derived from natural materials, making it 97% natural in composition. Their ethically sourced mandarin adds another level of responsible and fair trade practice while making the product.
Its unique formula is different from any other natural shampoo as it provides a quick rinse without any residue. The extra goodness of coconut oil enables the shampoo to add extra shine, boost strength and tame all the flyaways. Lastly, the company doesn’t test on animals, thus making the product fully vegan.
- This Love Beauty and Planet Shampoo come in a unique five-in-one formula for healthy and nourished hair.
- The ethically sourced mandarin adds quality to the ingredients, giving a rich mandarin aroma.
- This shampoo has 97% natural ingredients without any cruelty-based practices.
- People who like quick rinse formulas will find this helpful product.
- The product can leave your hair dry when used constantly.
10. Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo
- Hair type: Oily, Dry, Normal
- Scent: Unscented
- Free from: SLS-fee, SLES-free, PG-free, PG derivatives-free, Parabens-free, Sulfates-free
Last but certainly not least is the Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo. This natural shampoo is ideal for all hair types, including curly or fine hair. The shampoo contains organic aloe and essential oils that provide sufficient clarification, moisturization, and hydration.
The composition does not contain sulfate or other harmful chemicals like SLS, SLES, PG, PG derivatives, parabens, dyes, synthetic fragrances, or petrochemicals. Because of the absence of these ingredients, the product is ideal for people with sensitive skin and scalp. Additionally, the company doesn’t test on animals or use animal-derived ingredients, making this product cruelty free and vegan.
This environmentally friendly shampoo washes and nourishes the hair without stripping the natural oils or leaving any product buildup. Buyers can use this safe formula for colored hair too. The coconut, certified organic aloe, shea butter, and olive oil fruit work in unison to remove the dryness while making the hair nourished and shiny.
- Each shampoo tube is made with recyclable materials.
- The product is ideal for curly and fine/thin hair types.
- This Christina Moss Naturals Shampoo is vegan and does not contain harmful chemicals.
- People with colored hair can use this product without stripping away the color.
- Even sensitive skin or scalp won’t feel irritated with the product.
- This shampoo is highly alkaline with a pH of 8.5, whereas most shampoos range between 5 to 5.5.
You might have to research a little to find the right shampoo without harmful chemicals. To save time, you can refer to our list of the ten best chemical-free shampoos available on the market.
All of these hair products are readily available on Amazon in multiple-ounce packs, so you can take care of your hair without leaving your house. You might also spot some of the natural shampoo brands in Target.
Lastly, don’t forget to check stores like Follian and Detox Market, as they tend to have an ample range of chemical-free shampoos.
The following are some of the most common harmful chemicals found in shampoos:
Sulfates are the primary foaming agent in standard shampoos. Sodium lauryl sulfate, aka sulfates, is extremely harsh on your hair, expediting hair damage with lots of frizz.
Parabens are always used to preserve any shampoo. Because of its chemical composition, it quickly absorbs into the skin and slowly mimics estrogen, and causes a surge.
This formaldehyde chemical is a known carcinogen that can deteriorate anyone’s health over time.
Alcohol usually gets rid of oil, but too much alcohol can dry your hair and make it extraordinarily brittle and lifeless.
Cocamidopropyl betaine is a fairly common ingredient in shampoos that can cause severe skin irritation and allergies with continued use.
Fragrance may seem like a reasonably safe name on any shampoo list, but buyers need to be aware as companies usually cover up many questionable ingredients under this name.
Polyethylene glycol is a thickening agent that’s potentially carcinogenic.
When combined with other chemicals, these emulsifiers or foaming agents can form nitrosodiethanolamine (NDEA), a known carcinogen.
Yes, all of the chemicals mentioned above are known to cause damage to hair of any type. Most people can see the apparent side effects like hair loss, burnt hair, and dry or lifeless hair within the first wash cycle.
The long-term effects can range from hair loss to bald spots or brittle hair. Since your scalp absorbs most of the product, the chemicals can seep into the scalp, damage the hair follicles, deteriorate your hair growth and affect the quality of the hair.
Apart from the apparent effects on the quality of your hair, these harmful chemicals can also affect your body severely. These chemicals can increase skin sensitivity, cause dryness, increase the risk of skin cancer, and cause major hormonal disruptions.
Many chemicals like parabens and formaldehyde are carcinogenic and even cause skin cancer. Other chemicals like retinyl palmitate can cause scaling or peeling of the skin, while some ingredients can hamper the immune system causing congenital problems.
These reasons have led scientists and researchers to believe that chemical-ridden shampoos may cause hormonal imbalance, breast cancer, infertility, skin diseases, and other severe problems.
Yes, there is actually such a thing as a chemical-free shampoo. With the help of some research, you can now find chemical-free shampoos available for any hair type.
These shampoos are filled with natural botanicals that prevent diseases from developing in your body while keeping your hair healthy, clean, and shiny.
You can check the shampoo’s chemical-free nature by studying the ingredient list. A shampoo without any harmful chemicals is usually considered a chemical-free natural shampoo.
With the changing times, consumers have become more aware of the products they put in/ on their bodies.
Since shampoo is one of the most basic hygienic necessities, buyers need to be wary of their product selection and consider purchasing chemical-free shampoos and hair products that do not harm their health.
With that being said, we would insist that you refer to our guide featuring ten of the best chemical-free shampoos for ideally healthy hair for years to come.
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!