The 15 Best Orange Hair Dyes [2022 Reviews]
Orange hair looks intriguing and hard to pull off, but its bright gleam and summery color make it look stunning on many women.
Nailing it is tricky, though. Just Google it right now—most people would rather take orange out of their hair, not put it in.
But when you do it right, orange hair looks gorgeous and insanely chic. It lights up the scene with warmth while still being glossy and flattering.
The best part is that you will likely not have anyone in the room with the same color since it’s rare and tricky to master. It’s even more challenging when you have to pair it with clothes and makeup.
Are you up for the orange hair challenge? If so, check out what you need to know before getting beautiful orange locks and what hair dyes can help you achieve them.
Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Dye in Psychedelic Sunset
- Semi-permanent hair dye
- Vegan and cruelty-free formula
- Free of harmful chemicals and sulfates
Splat Original Semi-Permanent Hair Dye in Orange Fireballs
- Electrifying bright color
- Made with multiple nourishing ingredients
- Contains quinoa extracts to strengthen your strands
Arctic Fox Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Sunset Orange
- Deep red-orange pigments
- Direct dye formula, no separate developer
- Formulated without ammonia or other chemicals
Aim for a multi-dimensional copper, not a flat, brassy orange
Brassy orange hair is usually something people fix, not aim for. This is because when orange is overly warm and stark, it can be unflattering, like when it peeks through bleached hair and ruins a platinum blonde bob.
But sometimes, it’s tempting to go for orange, especially if you want a super unique and daring look.
It’s a fantastic option for the wintertime when everything looks dull and gray, and you want to liven up your look with something warmer.
However, don’t make the mistake of gunning for a Crayola orange unless you’re coloring your hair for a cosplay event or costume party. It’s very stark and can be unflattering in your day-to-day.
If you want a more natural orange tone, play around for variations of the classic orange color, like burnt orange or terracotta or the ever-popular copper.
These orange shades give your hair more dimension and depth, so your orange locks don’t look flat and brassy.
Look into copper hair if you want a more sophisticated orange. It’s a combination of gold, orange, and red tones, creating a bright yet sultry shade of natural orange.
What you should know before going orange?
Before you plan out your orange hair coloring session, you need to know that bright orange is not for everyone.
Assess your skin tone and think of what other colors you can incorporate into your dye of choice to make orange more flattering on you.
Go for a coppery brown if you have tan skin and a warm, burnt hue if you have a cool undertone.
Another thing to keep in mind is that orange hair dye will only show up nicely on a light base shade. So if you have black or brown hair, you have to bleach your hair first.
Blondes have it easier because of their naturally light hue—the orange and red color molecules will latch onto the strands much easier.
Also, be aware that you have to regularly tone your hair after you bleach and dye it orange.
Although you’ve opted for a warm tone, it’s important to maintain your color’s natural vibrancy and make sure you don’t look like a carrot top with an insanely yellow-orange mane.
When your hair is on the yellow side and starts taking away from that beautiful copper, tone it down with purple shampoo.
One last thing to remember about coloring your hair orange is that many copper dyes rely on red color molecules. They have the same quirks as a red dye, including how fast it fades.
Red dye is known to wash out faster than other colors, so you need to be extra careful maintaining your orange shade.
Wash with shampoo less and always wear heat protectant to extend the lifespan of your fabulous copper tresses.
The 15 Best Orange Hair Dye
1. Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Dye in Psychedelic Sunset
If you want a bold, striking orange hue, check out this fiery semi-permanent color by Manic Panic. It leaves your hair with a fierce red-orange that gradually fades after two months.
- Semi-permanent color
- Gradually fades after two months
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Suited for those following a green lifestyle
The formula is free of harmful chemicals that can be drying to the hair, such as ammonia, parabens, phthalates, and others. It’s also vegan, so it’s suited for those following a green and eco-friendly lifestyle.
- Doesn’t let your hair break easily
- Keeps your hair intact and healthy
- Colors 100% of Gray Hair
- Isn’t very effective with a lot of grays
2. Splat Original Semi-Permanent Hair Dye in Orange Fireballs
Splat is a brand renowned for its electrifyingly bright colors, and orange is one of its best ones. This semi-permanent color gives you long-lasting vibrant orange locks that last up to 30 washes.
That means you’ll be able to flaunt your awesome color even if you wash your hair daily for a month.
- Long-lasting color
- Made with nourishing ingredients
- Has quinoa extracts for extra strength
- Electrifying bright color
This dye is made with nourishing ingredients that condition your hair and make it soft to the touch. It also has quinoa extracts that strengthen your strands, helping them lock in more of your orange color.
- Does not penetrate the Cortex of your Hair
- Won’t Damage your Hair
- You’ll achieve a vibrant Shade of Red
- You’ll get orange stains
3. Arctic Fox Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Sunset Orange
This vegan semi-permanent color by Arctic Fox makes your hair look like a shining, captivating sunset, thanks to its deep red-orange pigments.
It’s a direct dye, so you don’t have to buy a separate developer and create a messy mixture in your bathroom; simply pour it directly into your locks.
- Direct dye, no stains
- Doesn’t need a separate developer
- Formulated with no ammonia
- Has a nice, sweet scent
It’s formulated without ammonia, so you know your hair is being cared for properly. It also has a sweet and light scent, unlike other dyes that smell of strong chemicals.
- Won’t Dry your Hair Out
- Keeps your Hair safe and Undamaged
- Fades after 5-6 weeks
- Colors are a Little different from ones Advertised
4. L’Oreal Paris Feria Permanent Color in Intense Copper
If you want a more long-lasting orange color in your hair, try a permanent dye like this one by L’Oreal. It gives your locks an intense coppery shade with shimmery highlights that give your mane more depth and dimension.
- Formulated with conditioning ingredients
- Long-lasting orange color
- Permanent dye
- Provides shiness and softness
The formula is specifically made to condition your hair as well, which helps elevate your locks with shine and softness
- Gets your Hair Softer
- Smoothens your Hair
- Doesn’t Get Washed Easily
- A bit Pricey
5. Punky Semi-Permanent Conditioning Hair Color in Flame
Give your hair a hot, sassy color with this fiery orange from Punky. This vivid color will last up to 35 washes, so you can go months with a flaming hot orange if you’re disciplined about spreading out your shampoo days.
This dye has a nourishing formula infused with keratin proteins, strengthening your hair and boosting softness and silkiness.
- Prevents breakage and damage
- Helps with frizz
- Infused with keratin proteins
- Lasts up to 35 washes
It also prevents breakage and frizz, keeping your hair smooth and sleek. It’s a great way to color your hair without having to stress it out or damage it.
- 100% Gray Hair Coverage
- Rich, Natural Color
- Doesn’t Damage Your Hair
- You can Get An Allergic Reaction
6. IROIRO Premium Natural Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Orange
Moisturize your hair while delivering a rich, orange color.
This semi-permanent color by Iroiro gives you long-lasting orange locks while intensely nourishing your strands with organic coconut oil. It also adds shine and gloss for a healthier look.
- Infused with coconut oil
- Cruelty-free and vegan formula
- Doesn’t have any synthetic preservatives
- Long-lasting orange dye
This cruelty-free and vegan hair dye is friendly to the hair since it doesn’t contain toxic and petroleum-based chemicals.
It also doesn’t have synthetic preservatives that can end up irritating your scalp or drying out your tresses.
- Gets your Hair to Look Healthier
- Adds a Bit of Shyness
- Doesn’t Dry out your Scalp
- Doesn’t Cover the Greys
7. Adore Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Sunrise Orange
Cut out the bad stuff you usually see in hair dyes by opting for this Adore semi-permanent color. It doesn’t have ammonia, peroxide, or alcohols that damage your hair, so you can retain your healthy locks’ integrity.
It leaves your hair with a warm, solid orange color reminiscent of the sunrise, so it’s sure to turn heads as you walk down the sidewalk.
- Has no ammonia or peroxide
- Retains your healthy locks integrity
- Leaves a nice, warm shade or orange
- Infused with conditioning ingredients
It contains natural ingredients that condition the hair and add shine, making your locks look glossy and luminous as it sways in the wind.
- Keeps your Hair Moisturized
- Doesn’t Dry Out your scalp
- Repairs damaged hairs
- Fades a little fast
8. Keracolor Color + Clenditioner in Copper
If you’re not ready to commit to a long-lasting orange, test it out first with this temporary color-depositing conditioner by Keracolor. It deposits copper tones in your locks, coloring them orange for a couple of days.
The conditioner hydrates and softens your hair, so you won’t expose your locks to the damage and fragility permanent dyes often can.
- Contains conditioning ingredients
- Prevents damage and fragility
- Temporary color-depositing conditioner
- Plenty of vitamins and minerals
This is a terrific way to test out copper hair on you and see if you like it before committing to a permanent hair dye.
- Doesn’t damage your hair
- Keeps your hair soft and smooth
- Smells amazing
- Fades fast and stains when washed
9. Crazy Color Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream in Orange
This ready-to-use hair dye by Crazy Color doesn’t need to be mixed in with a developer. Simply apply the cream straight to your locks to get that vibrant, dreamy orange hue you’ve always wanted!
- Doesn’t need to be mixed
- Vibrant, dreamy shade of orange
- Amazing formula with softening agents
- Leaves your hair with a luscious shine
The formula is amazing at softening your hair and leaving it silky and smooth to the touch. Your hair will slip right through your fingers after using this color cream. It also leaves your mane with a luscious shine.
- Doesn’t damage your hair
- Keeps your hair amazingly beautiful
- Is non-irritating to the skin
- You can easily get the shade wrong
10. Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color in Bright Auburn
This complete permanent color kit was designed by professionals at Revlon to give your locks a salon-beautiful color treatment in the comforts of your home.
It will provide you with a bright auburn hue in your hair that will make you stand out from the crowd.
- Made with keratin
- Infused with silk amino acids
- Adds gorgeous gloss
- Salon-beautiful color treatment
It’s made with keratin and silk amino acids that smoothen the hair while fortifying it too, improving its overall elasticity and health. They also add a gorgeous gloss to your locks, making them shiny.
- Gives hair a beautiful shade of red
- Doesn’t dry out your hair
- Cares after your skin
- Needs heat to activate
11. Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in Light Natural Copper
If your hair is on the dry side, you need a permanent orange hair color that will replenish your tresses’ moisture levels.
This Garnier Nutrisse in Light Natural Copper is perfect for achieving those glorious warm locks while nourishing your hair.
- Infused with olive and avocado oil
- Contains shea butter for extra nutrients
- Permanent orange color
- Works great on dry hair
It’s infused with olive oil, avocado oil, and shea butter to feed your hair with deep moisture. They help soften your locks to make them more touchable. They also amp up the shine in your hair.
- Supplies vitamins and minerals
- Adds shiness and softness
- Gives you a nice, rich color
- It’s hard to get the shade right
12. Tints of Nature Bold Colours Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Orange
Looking for a pastel orange hair dye? This one by Tins of Nature is sure to sweep you off your feet. It comes with a unique pasteliser to turn ordinary orange dye into a sweet and light creamsicle color in your hair.
It lasts up to eight washes, so it’s a fantastic way to try rocking pastel orange hair.
- Doesn’t have ammonia, sulfates or silicones
- Lasts up to eight weeks
- Interesting, rich shade or orange
- No irritation or inflammation
This hair color is free of all the nasty chemicals that damage your hair. It doesn’t have ammonia, sulfates, silicones, parabens, and other potentially irritating ingredients.
- It’s very easy to use
- Locks in the moisture with after color conditioner
- Keeps your hair away from damage and split ends
- Fades easily
13. Garnier Olia Permanent Color in Intense Fire Ruby
This Garnier dye gives your hair an intense and fiery red-orange shade while feeding it botanical oils that are terrific for hydration and shine.
It’s formulated with 60% flower oils that hydrate your locks deeply, giving it more softness and touch ability. It also elevates your hair by adding a glow to it, making it shiny and glossy.
- Formulated with flower oils
- Provides an intense red-orange shade
- Plenty of botanics and herbs used
- Easy to apply on hair
The velvety cream formula makes it easy to apply to the hair. You won’t have to worry about dripping and ruining your shirt when coloring your hair with this.
- Keeps your hair vibrant and shiny
- Ensures a deep cherry brown hair
- Spreads quickly and evenly
- Can stain your bathroom
14. Clairol Texture and Tones Permanent Hair Color in Flaming Desire
Who said orange hair couldn’t be sexy? This ammonia-free Clairol permanent color in Flaming Desire gives your mane a copper shade that is sultry and warm at the same time.
- Infused with jojoba oil
- Contains plenty botanicals
- Adds shine and hydration
- Nice, vivid shade of orange
It’s rich in moisturizing ingredients such as jojoba oil and other botanical extracts to add shine and hydration to the hair. It’s wonderful for women of color who have dry hair types that need extra love and care.
- Easy to apply
- Keeps your hair undamaged
- Gives a nice, red color
- Doesn’t last long enough
15. Herbatint Permanent Haircolor Gel in Orange
If you’re into natural and organic ingredients, you’ll love this permanent gel color by Herbatint. It’s infused with botanical oils and extracts to nourish and protect your hair as you color it a natural-looking hue of orange.
The dye contains aloe vera and meadowfoam extracts to moisturize and add shine to the hair. It also has rhubarb and walnut extracts to enhance color and keep your orange tones vivid for long.
- Contains aloe vera and meadowfoam extracts
- Perfect to use on sensitive skin
- All-natural and organic ingredients
- Natural-looking hue of orange
It’s dermatologist-approved for use on sensitive skin, so you don’t have to worry about irritating your scalp when you warm up your color with this gel.
- Provides a nice, vibrant color
- Protects your hair and skin
- Doesn’t contain toxic chemicals
- Little solution in the box
Orange hair can be challenging to accomplish. But when you do it well, you’ll be rewarded with gorgeous, classic-colored hair that is super eye-catching and attractive.
Pick out any of these hair dyes to start your journey to ever-intriguing orange or copper hair. Just make sure to get a shade that will be flattering on your skin tone, and you’ll be well on your way to salon-beautiful orange tresses.
Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Dye
Semi-permanent hair dye
Vegan and cruelty-free formula
Free of harmful chemicals and sulfates
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!