The 15 Best Flat Irons for Curly Hair
Published by Aida Turner
Fact checked by Annie
Ladies with curls are always on point when it comes to rocking voluminous, bodied ringlets, whether it’s sexy beach waves or a cute and coily afro.
But now and then, even curly girls think of spicing up their look a bit with a hairstyle that’s different from their usual.
One common go-to to get more double-takes from people is switching up to sleek, straight hair.
It’s easy to achieve smooth and straight hair if you have a good flat iron.
But not all straighteners are created equal. Some are a better fit for those with curly hair.
HSI Professional Glider
- Built with micro-sensors to regulate temperature
- Recognizes hair thickness and speed of styling
- Adjusts its parameters to you personally
Revlon Salon Straightener Copper + Ceramic Flat Iron
- Made with copper and ceramic plates
- 5 digital led heat settings
- Floating plate for better contact with hair
Remington S5520 1 ¾” Anti-Static Flat Iron
- Titanium-coated ceramic plates
- Heats up to 455 F
- Automatic safety shutoff for extra security
Is it okay to straighten curly hair with a flat iron?
Yes, it’s completely okay to straighten your curly hair with heat tools.
The important thing to remember is to protect your hair before you do so to prevent heat damage.
There are many ways to do it, from using a heat protectant spray to silicone-based products before ironing your locks.
Silicons and other ingredients in heat protectants can help create a protective layer around your hair so that you don’t end up burning it or damaging the cuticle with direct heat.
Another way to protect your hair from damage is to pamper it before heat styling.
Wash your hair with a nourishing shampoo and conditioner for curly hair, and think about giving yourself a deeply moisturizing treatment mask.
This restores and fortifies the overall health of your hair, so it’s ready for the hot iron.
Find a good flat iron that is safe on hair, like ceramic and titanium plates.
Use a light hand when straightening your hair, and don’t let the iron linger too long in one spot. These can save you from disastrous, burned hair.
A word of warning to all curly ladies: If you don’t protect your hair from heat damage and iron your hair frequently, you could end up making your hair brittle and dry.
If your hair becomes so damaged that it can’t retain its natural texture, you could even lose your fabulous curl pattern!
What kind of flat iron is best for curly hair?
The first thing you want to look for is temperature. You want an iron that can get very hot so you can straighten your curls with as few passes as possible.
However, you don’t want an iron that’s so hot it can burn your hair on contact.
Around 365-400°F is a good benchmark of what an appropriate hair iron temperature should be.
It can straighten your hair and seal your hair cuticle without losing that much moisture. That way, your hair becomes healthy and shiny even after heat styling.
You don’t want heat over 450°F because your locks can be susceptible to damage right off the bat by completely melting your hair protein.
You also don’t want anything too low in temperature because you’ll be stuck with frizzy hair that isn’t as straight as you’d like.
Another factor you should look out for is what kind of plates the iron has.
Ceramic plates heat up gradually and are good for curls that are quite easy to straighten, like wavy hair. These plates use infrared technology to heat up the hair, so it’s the gentler option.
If you have more kinky, coily curls that are more challenging to work with, you can go for titanium plates.
These plates heat up a lot more quickly and can be more powerful when it comes to straightening.
That said, titanium plates tend to deal more heat damage on the hair, so you have to be diligent in protecting your hair with the right products.
Here are some of the best flat irons for your curly hair:
The 15 Best Flat Iron for Curly Hair
1. HSI Professional Glider
This hair iron is probably one of the most raved-about straighteners in the market today.
It’s made with high-quality ceramic and tourmaline plates that straighten even the most unruly hair types – even 4c hair.
It’s built with eight HeatBalance micro-sensors that regulate and manage the temperature of the iron accordingly, so you don’t have to worry about too much heat damage.
- Monitors the heat used
- Recognize hair thickness and speed of styling
- Enables versatile, snag-free styling
- Adjusts its parameters to your needs
And if you want more control of how hot the iron is when it touches your hair, you can adjust the heat settings anywhere from 140-450°F.
- Makes your hair 70% stronger
- Provides better shine and color protection
- Doesn’t let you burn your hairs
- Can be heated too much
2. Revlon Salon Straightener Copper + Ceramic Flat Iron
This 1-inch flat iron is made with copper and ceramic plates to reduce heat damage when straightening the hair.
The rounded floating plates give your hair a good grip to ensure that every strand is heated up and straightened properly.
- Copper and ceramic plates
- Many heat settings to ensure no damage caused
- Extra-long plates
- Single voltage and handle lock
It’s on the more affordable side, which is excellent for those on a budget.
It also heats up in just ten seconds, so it’s a fantastic option for ladies who are always in a rush to get ready in the morning.
- Has different setting for every type of hair
- Makes your hair shine and straight
- Doesn’t damage or burn your hair
- Not for very thick hair
3. Remington S5520 1 ¾” Anti-Static Flat Iron
Low-quality flat irons can end up giving you frizzy flyaways because of high static levels.
If you’re sick of static ruining your sleek hair, switch to this iron by Remington.
It’s made with anti-static technology for fewer flyaways.
- 15 seconds heat up
- Titanium coated ceramic plates
- Heats up to 455 F
- Quick styling with extra-long plates
Its titanium-coated ceramic plates make hair super easy to straighten, so it’s perfect for those with type 4 curls that are very coily and springy.
The iron has six heat settings to choose from, so you have full control of how hot you want to go.
- Makes your hair extra-shiny
- Adjusts to your hair texture
- Provides 30 heat settings for every type of hair
- May not heat enough
4. ghd Classic Original IV Hair Straightener
If you have wavy hair that is easy to curl, go for this ghd iron with ceramic plates.
It only comes in one heat setting, but it’s the optimal temperature for keeping your hair sleek and straight but still healthy, shiny, and full of moisture.
- Ceramic coated heating plates
- Infused with nano silver, argan oil and titanium
- Digital temperature options
- High efficiency
This award-winning straightener can eliminate all frizz from your hair and effortlessly keep your strands smooth and gorgeous for you to flaunt all day long!
- Leaves your hair shiny and healthy-looking
- Doesn’t have any static
- Adjust the angle to avoid snagging and pinching
- Cylindrical shape makes it easy to slide in your hands
5. KIPOZI Hair Straightener
The titanium plates of this straightener by KIPOZI blaze up very fast at 450°F, so you can get your curly hair extremely straight in just one or two passes.
The plates are made with shine-boosting technology to keep your hair looking lustrous.
- Anti-frizz micro conditioner
- 450 F salon high heat
- Titanium plates
- Digital controls
It emits negative ions that keep your hair moisturized as it straightens, so at the end of your styling process, you can enjoy shiny and soft hair.
It also protects hair color from fading.
- Heats up very fast
- Takes one button to rise the temperature
- Protects from frizz all day long
- Doesn’t have an auto-lock function
6. LANDOT Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
This iron is made with 3D ceramic plates that easily straighten the hair without tugging on it and increasing hair fall.
It releases negative ions to ensure no static creates flyaways in your hair, so you’re left only with smooth, sleek, straight locks.
- Less frizz, more shine
- 3D ceramic plates
- Evenly heats up to 455
- Floating ceramic plates with no hot spots
The heat is adjustable anywhere between 140 and 465°F, so it’s perfect for all curly hair types, from fine and thin hair to thick and coily curls.
- Gives a long-lasting style
- Styling quickly with extra-wide plates
- Provides a healthy-looking style
- Can burn your hairs due to high power
7. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Rainbow Titanium Flat Iron
The 1-inch plates on this iron are longer than usual for easy styling and a better grip on each strand of hair you want to straighten.
It’s made with both ceramic and titanium technology to ensure your hair is smooth and frizz-free in mere seconds.
- Floating ceramic plates
- High temperature reach
- Multiple temperature settings
- Perfect for all types of hair
The iron heats up in as fast as 30 seconds, which is great for style-and-go mornings.
It has six temp settings to choose from, so you’re always in control of how hot your iron is before it touches your hair.
- Leaves your hair smooth and silky
- Doesn’t damage the follicles
- Doesn’t frizz or dry your hair out
- Burns split ends
8. Furiden Professional Hair Straightener
If you want a multi-use iron that can straighten your hair and give you picture-perfect curls, try this one by Furiden.
This ceramic iron is rounded and curved, so you can easily use it to curl your hair for structured waves if you’re tired of straightening your hair.
- Multi-directional ceramic plates
- Very comfortable and easy to use
- Constant temperature
- Universal dual voltage
This iron provides some everyday conveniences too. It saves a lot of your time because it only takes 15 seconds to heat up.
It also has a dual voltage, so you can bring it with you as you travel the world.
- Maintains a constant temperature
- Automatically shuts off after two hours
- Shiny and long-lasting results
- Can rip off hair if used incorrectly
9. CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium 1 1/4″ Straightening Hairstyling Iron
CHI has always been the gold standard for hair irons, and this straightener is a glimmering example of why.
It has 1 and ¼ inches of ceramic and titanium plates, making it a perfect flat iron for short hair.
The ceramic floating plates are gentle on the hair.
- Long-lasting product
- Ceramic plates
- Pro tool for everyday usage
- Perfect for short curly hair
But coupled with titanium, they provide intense durability for your iron.
This combo also keeps your hair looking smooth and sleek every time you use this iron.
You can set your temperature when working with this iron.
Each setting is color-coded according to your hair type, making it easy to see if you’re adding way too much heat to your hair.
- Smooth and nice hair
- Doesn’t let your hair frizz
- Straightens it nicely and evenly
- Works slower with thick hair
10. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
If you want full control of your heat settings, this is the iron for you.
It comes in 30 different heat settings so that you can choose the precise temperature you wish to use on your curly hair, all the way to 455°F.
The heat is always evenly spread throughout the iron, so you need not worry about hot spots.
- Made with tourmaline ceramic
- 30 second heat up
- Salon performance at home
- Floating plates for full styling control
The iron plates are made with tourmaline ceramic, which reduces damage and breakage from heat styling.
It seals in your hair cuticle instead of opening it up and creating gaps, leaving your hair healthier and smoother.
- Smoothly glides through your hair
- Reduces frizz and damage
- Leaves your hair silky smooth and straight
- Can burn your ends if not used properly
11. CHI Expert Classic Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Another option from world-renowned brand CHI is their tourmaline ceramic iron, which is a classic for finer hair textures, like wavy hair.
These plates emit a high amount of negative ions to keep your hair shiny and sleek. They also reduce static on the hair, so you don’t see any flyaways or frizz.
- High amount of negative ions
- Innovative ceramic plates
- Uses lower temperature settings for the same result
- Dual voltage to travel the world
This iron heats up very quickly and has a built-in dial for adjustable temperatures.
- Doesn’t damage your hair
- Has better styling parameters
- Leaves your hair impressively silky and shiny
- Thick hair doesn’t respond well to its heat
12. Remington S9500PP Pearl Pro Ceramic Flat Iron
If you want salon-grade performance with a high-heat iron, you can always count on this Remington iron to get you intensely sleek, straight hair.
The 1-inch floating ceramic plates are infused with real pearls, resulting in a smoother glide as you straighten your hair.
- 20 different heat settings
- Clamp style for better and quicker results
- Floating ceramic plates
- Auto shut-off after one hour
It also keeps your hair looking shiny and healthy throughout the day.
This iron goes as high up as 450°F and is easily read and adjusted thanks to its digital display screen.
- Keeps your hair’s moisture locked in
- Provides incredible shyness
- Gives quick and qualitative results
- Burns split ends
13. Elchim Nature’s Touch Professional Flat Iron
This flat iron was designed and made in Italy with both ceramic and titanium oxide in its plates.
This ensures high heat that can straighten hair effectively and efficiently without compromising your healthy hair integrity.
This iron has 11 heat settings to choose from, from 203 to 450°F.
- Anti-static technology
- Titanium protection coating
- Longer ceramic plates
- Floating plates
Instant heat-up technology allows your iron to get hot in as quick as 17 seconds, so it’s great for those with time constraints while getting ready.
- Provides a smooth glide through your hair
- Doesn’t do much damaged to your hair
- Reduces the amount of negatively charged particles
- Might not heat up enough for thick hair
14. Conair Double Ceramic Flat Iron
If you’re wary about heat damage and want to straighten your hair in the most gentle way possible, opt for Conair’s double ceramic iron.
Because it’s high in ceramic content, it’s not aggressive in temperature and distributes heat evenly across its plates.
- Diamond coated plates
- Temperature up to 450 F
- Swivel cord
- High quality ceramic plates
This iron has a cute and charming white and rose gold color motif, which is great for girly girls out there who love aesthetically pleasing beauty tools.
It also makes a fantastic gift to curly girls who want to straighten their hair healthily.
- Prevents split ends and frizz
- Seals the cuticle and its moisture
- 5 temperature settings for better adjustment
- Can burn your hair down
15. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron
Don’t let the ultra-thin shape and powder blue color fool you—this titanium flat iron is heavy-duty and can straighten out even super curly hair.
This fast-performing iron boasts high heat levels that can give you pin-straight hair in just a few passes.
- Versatile styling tool
- Quick heating
- Dual voltage for traveling
- Heats up to 392 F
Thanks to its slim, thin design, it’s lightweight and easy to use, so you won’t get any hand fatigue as you style your curly hair.
This is also a flat iron which is suitable for natural hair silk press with nano titanium technology.
- Makes your hair silky
- Professionally straightens your hair
- Doesn’t damage the keratin
- Your hair can get caught at the corners
You can embrace your naturally curly hair but want a smooth, pin-straight look to be a bit more playful and chic whenever you want.
Both looks are gorgeous and won’t take away from your hair’s beauty.
But it’s important to keep your hair as healthy as possible even when you experiment with different styles, so a good flat iron is always vital.
Try one of the straighteners in this list, and you can go from curly girl to sleek and chic in a matter of minutes without sacrificing your hair health!
See also: Hot comb vs Flat iron: What’s the Difference?
HSI Professional Glider
Built with micro-sensors to regulate temperature
Recognizes hair thickness and speed of styling
Adjusts its parameters to you personally
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!