The 15 Best Dry Shampoos for African-American Hair
The African-Americans have unique hair that can go from wavy to coily, and they hold a high level of pride in their luscious curls, even if it’s challenging to maintain those gorgeous them.
There are so many hair products suitable for African-American hair, from thick curling smoothies to rich, emollient vegetable oils used as a hair masque.
But one product that is difficult to work with if you have textured hair is dry shampoo.
amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
- Absorbs excess oils
- Cooling senstation to soothe the scalp
- Water-free and talc-free shampoo
Batiste Hydrating Dry Shampoo
- Adds a bit of hydration
- Grease free hair that is still soft
- Has an invisible formula
OGX Extra Strength Argan Oil of Morocco Dry Shampoo
- Contains argan oil
- Infused with silk proteins and amino acids
- Keeps your hair soft and glossy
What is dry shampoo, and why do we need it?
No matter your hair type or texture, it’s almost always better not to wash your hair daily.
Exposing your hair to harsh sulfates every day will dehydrate it and strip it of the essential moisture it needs to be naturally shiny and bouncy. It might also hamper hair growth.
But many of us turn into a complete greaseball two or so days after hair wash day even after trying shampoo and conditioner for oily hair.
That’s because of the buildup of styling products coupled with our natural oils. The result is an extremely shiny scalp and hair that are bordering on gross.
So regardless of whether you are Asian, European, American, or African-American, you always need a dry shampoo for keeping the grease at bay and refresh your look.
Dry shampoo absorbs all the excess oil and grime sitting on top of your head and hair a few days post-hair wash.
Dry shampoo is fantastic for oily hair and those who sweat more often than others (like those who work out every day but don’t want to dry their hair out through daily shampooing).
Should dry shampoo be used on African-American hair?
African-Americans tend to have thick and coarse hair. They are also more likely to have textured hair, be it tight waves or coily curls.
But the thing with textured hair is that it can end up very dry because the natural oils in hair have trouble sliding down the hair strand if it has a curl pattern.
That said, African-American hair can often be parched, which means it will need a lot of moisture. Because of this, it’s important not to overdry the hair.
And as we know, that’s exactly what dry shampoo does—it sucks out the oil so your hair can look fresh and dry.
That’s where the complicated relationship between dry shampoo and African-American hair begins.
While dry shampoo might not be best for dry hair, it’s something super helpful for oily and greasy scalps, which you can still have even if you rock super curly hair.
Sometimes, the product buildup can be a bit much, and dry shampoo is an amazing solution.
If you have African-American hair and must use dry shampoo, it’s best to look for one on the more hydrating end of the spectrum, which is anything but easy.
Look for ingredients with nourishing proteins, vitamins, and light oils like sweet almond and grapeseed oils.
What you don’t want to see in your dry shampoo’s ingredients list is talc, because that will most probably dry out your hair and eliminate shine.
A waterless formula is also a plus because water and humidity can frizz up coily curls.
Top 15 Best Dry Shampoo for African-American Hair
1. amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
This talc-free and water-free dry shampoo by amika absorbs excess oil with natural rice starch, but never leaves a distracting, powdery, white residue in your dark hair.
If you’re African-American with flat and weighed down hair by the buildup of oil and product over the past few days, you’re in luck.
- Talc and water free
- Does great with African-American hair
- Cooling sensation to soothe the scalp
- Very moisturizing and healthy
This dry shampoo gives a boost of volume to bring your hair back to life.
It also has a cooling sensation to soothe your scalp and make you feel fresh and clean.
- Provides a deep cleanse and moisturizing effect
- Doesn’t use sulfates and parabens
- Keeps your hair healthy and shiny
- Can get your scalp itchy
2. Batiste Hydrating Dry Shampoo
Batiste is one of the biggest names in the world of dry shampoo, so it’s no surprise that they have a hydrating version to accommodate African-Americans with dry hair types.
This product is infused with avocado extracts to add a bit of hydration to your hair even as it absorbs oils from your scalp. The result is grease-free hair that is still soft and smooth to the touch.
- Infused with avocado extracts
- Adds hydration and moisture
- Provides vitamins and minerals for hair growth
- Doesn’t leave any white residue
This dry shampoo has an invisible formula, which means it won’t leave behind a white residue.
- Leaves your hair shiny and soft
- Absorbs any oils and residue
- Reduces hair damage
- Has some chemicals
3. OGX Extra Strength Argan Oil of Morocco Dry Shampoo
While the dry shampoo absorbs the oil from your head, these two will work to make African-American hair velvety soft and with a lightweight bounce.
- Argan oil for minerals and vitamins
- Includes unsaturated fatty acids
- Works great with heat-damaged hair
- Infused with silk proteins
Dry shampoo often gets a bad rap for leaving your hair parched and dull, but with super luxurious nourishing ingredients like these, you’ll only be left with soft and touchable curls.
- Softens and conditions your hair
- Repairs damaged hair
- Does well with split ends
- Can make your hair hard
4. OGX Extra Strength Coconut Miracle Oil Dry Shampoo
If you love tropical scents, you will find this dry shampoo by OGX simply irresistible.
It’s infused with coconut oil, tiare flower essence, and vanilla bean to give your hair a bit of moisture as it eliminates grime and excess sebum. These ingredients make your hair silky soft.
It also gives a bit of volume if your hair is getting flat after a few days of no shampooing.
It gives a light yet bodied texture to refresh your style.
- Infused with coconut oil
- Has tiare flower essence
- Contains vanilla beans extracts
- Beneficial vitamins and minerals
- Makes your hair soft and shiny
- Works great with color-treated hair
- Gets rid of residue from styling products
- Can dry out your hair
5. Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Dry Co-Wash
Who says African-American women following the Curly Girl Method can’t use dry shampoo?
Cantu’s dry co-wash infused with apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil not only refreshes your scalp and hair but leaves it touchable and soft.
- Infused with apple cider vinegar
- Rich in omega oils
- Tea tree oils and shea butter
- Interesting scent
While ACV and tea tree are known to detoxify and clarify the hair, this co-wash is infused with shea butter to give it some nourishment.
So while the co-wash absorbs oil, a bit of shine is still added to your hair to make it look alive.
- Prevents frizziness and tangles
- Works great with dry, damaged hair
- Completely repairs split ends
- You might not like the smell
6. Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo for Dark Tones
Designed especially for brunettes and raven-haired girls like African-American, this Moroccanoil dry shampoo refreshes hair between washes and absorbs icky oil with the help of ultra-fine rice starch.
This natural starch breaks down quickly when the hair is tousled after application, so no white residue is left behind.
- Completely plant-based formula
- Infused with argan oil
- Less hair breakage
- Contains UV filters
This formula is infused with the brand’s signature argan oil from Morocco, giving a boost of moisture.
It also helps protect the hair from UV damage so it can stay healthy.
- Doesn’t let your hair break so easily
- Prevents split ends
- Rejuvenates and strengthens hair follicles
- Might get spilled
7. Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black Dry Shampoo
If you want a more luxe vibe for your African-American hair, go for this sleek product by Elizabeth and James.
This water-free formula instantly absorbs oils that make your hair look flat, and gives it salon-level bounce and body instead.
- Keeps a natural pH balance
- Relaxing oils usage
- Beneficial nutrients and minerals
- Rose extract and pro-vitamin B
It’s infused with rose extract and nourishing pro-vitamin B, adding a bit of hydration and extending the lifespan of your hairstyle.
It has a musky and upscale scent with notes of sandalwood, vanilla, and flowers, keeping it fresh with a touch of sensuality.
- Nourishes and mosturizes your hair
- Helps getting out toxic chemicals
- Provides a nice scent for your hair
- A bit pricey
8. Aveeno Rose Water and Chamomile Dry Shampoo
This gentle dry shampoo is infused with delicate, hydrating rose water and chamomile to give you a lighter, more refreshing experience than dry shampoos with harsh chemicals.
It also has some oat, which adds to the lightweight hydration.
- Contains high levels of vitamins
- Works great with colored hairs
- Contains aloe vera for extra moisture
- oes well against heat
It zaps away oils by absorbing them at the root so that you can enjoy your hairstyle longer.
This formula doesn’t contain any sulfates, parabens, or dyes, and is safe to use on colored hair.
- Repairs damaged hairs
- Protects from heat-styling
- Cleanses your skin and hair
- Doesn’t work with oily hair
9. Renpure Coconut and Vitamin E Dry Shampoo
Restore volume and shine in your African-American hair by working this thoroughly cleaning yet nourishing dry shampoo into your dull and greasy locks.
This formula is infused with coconut for light moisture and shine. Therefore, the shampoo won’t disrupt the absorption of oils from your head.
- Works great with curly and wavy hair
- Infused with vitamin E and coconut oil
- Extra-moisturizing formula
- Sulfate and paraben free
It also has vitamin E to help fortify and add body to the hair.
Because Renpure believes in clean beauty, this doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens, gluten, and phthalates.
- Makes your hair silky smooth
- Works perfectly with wavy and curly hair
- Repairs damaged hairs and moisturizes your scalp
- Doesn’t smell so good
10. EVO Water Killer Dry Shampoo
African-American women with super coily curls avoid water like the plague when it’s not washing day.
This dry shampoo by EVO does the trick in replacing that shampooing step your hair probably doesn’t miss.
- Free of sulfates and mineral oil
- Works nice with curly hair
- Plenty vitamins and minerals
- Nourishes and rejuvenates hair follicles
The shampoo is an innovative two-in-one product—it serves as a dry shampoo for those who want to refresh their hair, eliminate greasiness, and as a styling powder to give the hair more volume pizzazz.
It even lessens the damage caused by other styling steps, like blow-drying.
- Makes your hair soft and smooth
- Repairs hair from over-dyeing
- Helps restore hair’s natural beauty
- You’ll need a lot of this product
11. Beauty by Earth Dry Shampoo and Volume Powder
This gluten-free and non-GMO dry shampoo by Beauty by Earth is made of only natural and organic ingredients.
It’s formulated especially for dark hair, so you won’t get that white, powdery look when using this.
- Arrowroot and kaolin clay
- Cacao powder for nice scent
- Free of mineral oil
- Deeply moisturizing effect
Arrowroot, kaolin clay, cocoa powder, and more won’t strip your hair of its natural moisture but still, give you a refreshing clean between wash days.
It also doubles as a volume powder, so you can lift your locks and make them more look alive during the week.
- Nourishing effect from Almond and avocado oils
- Strengthens your hair
- Nourishes and provides nutrients
- Has chemicals
12. Aussie After Hours Texture Dry Shampoo
This dry shampoo by Aussie is infused with the exotic Australian blue gum eucalyptus dunnii to stimulate your hair with a cooling sensation and bring your curl pattern and volume back to life.
It’s designed for wavy and curly hair types, which many African-American women flaunt.
- Works well with curly hair
- Overcomes hard water
- Infused with australian blue gum eucalyptus
- Loaded with vitamins and minerals
Because Aussie only believes in giving you the good stuff, this product is formulated without harsh ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and dyes.
- The 25 Best shampoo and conditioner for Curly Hair
- The 19 Best shampoos and conditioners for Wavy Hair
- Overcomes high humidity damage
- Protects your hair from external damage
- Cleanses all the impurities left
- No perfume
13. Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
If you’re African-American with a more sensitive scalp, you’ll need a dry shampoo that’s soothing but will still give you a proper clean.
Luckily, this dry shampoo by Klorane is made with rich oat milk to soothe and protect your scalp and hair.
- Rich in oat milk
- pH balanced ingredients
- Gentle formula
- Ideal for sensitive scalps
This ultra-gentle dry shampoo is also curated with corn and rice starches that absorb oil and gunk in your hair almost instantly.
It also has natural absorbent microspheres that eliminate odors and other dirt from your head.
- Deeply moisturizing effects
- Nourishing effect from shea butter
- Strengthening effect from oat milk
- Not the greatest product for frizzy hair
14. Verb Dry Shampoo
This dry shampoo by Verb pretty much does it all—it gives your African-American hair a gentle refresh, extends your hairstyle by a couple of days more, and gives you a light volume to make your hair more bouncy and full.
The best part is that it has a hydrating formula that leaves your hair feeling soft and smooth. It even helps make tangles more manageable so you can have easily brushable, knot-free hair.
- No sulfates or parabens
- Provides knot free hair
- UV filter
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients
It gives a touch of UV protection as well, to make sure your hair is resilient against damage from the sun.
- Keeps your hair nice and luminous
- Seals the moisture
- Hydrates your scalp
- It doesn’t work with oily hair
15. Renpure Coconut Argan Dry Shampoo
This hydrating dry shampoo from Renpure is infused with coconut and argan oil for the utmost nourishment.
The formula also contains plant proteins and essential oils that give you a deep clean while making your hair healthy.
- Thermal protection
- Includes coconut oil
- Works perfectly with heat-treated hair
- Infused with argan oil and plant proteins
This vegan formula doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients that can be overbearing on the scalp and dry out your hair, like sulfates, parabens, silicones, and unnecessary dyes, colors, and fragrances.
- Repairs the damage from flat irons
- Will keep your hair nourished and healthy
- Locks the moisture in
- Needs to be used on healthy hair us non rhoncus.
Beauty and hair care should be accessible to everyone, no matter your skin color or hair texture. Never assume a hair product or styling step isn’t suitable for someone because of their heritage.
There’s always a way to make it work—you just have to understand the ingredients certain hair types love and need.
So now that we’ve debunked the myth that African-American hair can’t use dry shampoo, what are you waiting for?
Whether you have kinky-coily curls or relaxed hair, pick out a hydrating, waterless dry shampoo, your hair will love between hair wash days.
amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
Absorbs excess oils
Cooling sensation to soothe the scalp
Water-free and talc-free shampoo
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!