A curly hair requires different types of products than those used on straight hair.
While it’s undoubtedly beautiful, it will require a lot of effort to maintain since natural oils are blocked from reaching the scalp.
Therefore, you need the best shampoos and conditioners designed for curly hair to help moisturize your curls and boost elasticity.
These products will be free from sulfates and other harsh chemicals that can damage your curls. You want products that will eliminate frizz and help your tresses to lock in moisture.
However, finding the perfect shampoo or conditioner for your curly hair can be challenging.
This article has come up with a list of 15 Best Drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair. You can easily buy them in the local drugstore at a very affordable price.
We’ve also included a buying guide to help with your selection.
- 1 What to Look for When Choosing the Best Drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair?
- 2 Top Drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair
- 2.1 L’Oréal Paris EverCurl Hydracharge Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- 2.2 Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Conditioner for Curly Hair
- 2.3 Maui Moisture Curl Shampoo
- 2.4 Design Essential Natural Shampoo
- 2.5 Carol’s Daughter Coco Crème Curl Quenching Shampoo
- 2.6 DevaCurl One Condition Original
- 2.7 Moroccanoil Curl Enhancing Conditioner
- 2.8 SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Conditioner
- 2.9 OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Shampoo
- 2.10 Dove Amplified Textures Shampoo & Conditioner
- 2.11 DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser
- 2.12 SheaMoisture Baobab & Tee Tree Oils Shampoo
- 2.13 Quidad Curl Quencher (R) Moisturizing Conditioner
- 2.14 The Mane Choice Detangling Hydration Conditioner
- 2.15 Unite Boing Curl Conditioner
- 3 Conclusion
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair?
There are different types of drugstore shampoos and conditioners designed to restore your curls’ health and shine.
To help you go home with the right products for your hair, we have compiled a list of important factors to keep in mind:
Creamy and Moisturizing Formulation
Typically, curly hair is usually dry.
This is because oil that is produced at the hair shaft does not reach the end of the tip.
For this reason, your hair will absorb water from the environment, and this will give it a frizzy look.
Curly hair tends to lose a lot of water, especially when in dry climates.
Therefore, you should look for ultra-conditioning moisturizing shampoos and conditioners that contain essential oils to rehydrate and rejuvenate your hair.
When washing, hydrating shampoos will lock in water in your hair so it doesn’t feel dry.
Another key to finding the most appropriate shampoo is by first identifying your hair’s porosity.
Porosity is the ability of your hair to retain moisture.
- Low porosity curls don’t absorb oils easily and get weighed down by heavier shampoos and conditioners.
- On the other hand, high porosity curls soak up a lot of moisture and may require heavy hydration.
- Medium porosity curls have medium weight hydration and may not need a lot of maintenance like the other two.
You can submerge a strand of your hair in a cup of water to determine your hair’s porosity level.
Like choosing any other product, you want to ensure that the drugstore shampoo and conditioner have high-quality ingredients.
Examples of such ingredients include coconut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, castor oil, shea butter, organic argan oil, aloe vera, and Abyssinian seed oil.
These natural ingredients give your hair a smooth texture and add natural oils and vitamins to the scalp.
Additionally, there are ingredients that you need to watch out for when choosing products for your curly hair. The best products for curly hair should be sulfate-free and paraben-free.
Although these ingredients are useful, they are harsh agents that can be damaging to most curls.
You should also avoid products that use alcohol as an ingredient. This is because it can make your curls dry and frizzy.
Most hair products contain protein which can make your hair stiff and dry.
An example of such protein is wheat protein that reduces moisture on your hair.
Consequently, your hair will be dry, and you will have a hard time styling your curls.
Shampoos with Slip
Shampoos with slip help make your curly hair tangle-free and more manageable.
Because of the curls, you are most likely to have knots, tangles, and snarls on your hair. Detangling can be a painful and tiring process, and it may even cause hair breakage.
However, products with slip tend to make curls more lubricious, which will help reduce the detangling time. Plus, you will save a great deal on conditioners.
Top Drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair
Here are the comprehensive reviews of some of the best drugstore shampoos and conditioners for curly hair in the market.
L’Oréal Paris EverCurl Hydracharge Sulfate-Free Shampoo
This anti-frizz and sulfate-free shampoo is designed for curly hair.
- Being sulfate-free, you can be assured that it doesn’t contain harsh surfactants and salts that can wreak havoc on your curls and color, which means that you can use it even on colored hair.
- This shampoo is lightweight and does not weigh down curls or make your hair greasy. Instead, it gives your hair anti-frizz hydration.
- It also contains coconut oil to ensure proper hydration and lock in moisture.
For more color definition, try using this shampoo together with the EverCulr Sculpt & Hold Cream.
Garnier Fructis Style Curl Nourish Conditioner for Curly Hair
This might be one of the best curls strengthening conditioners in the drugstore.
It is a leave-in conditioner that is:
- Instilled with macadamia, jojoba, and coconut oils. These ingredients control frizz and lock in moisture to replenish your hair.
- Contains Active Fruit protein and vitamins B3 and B6 that strengthen the hair and make it stronger.
- Sulfate and paraben-free, it will not be harsh or stripping to your curly hair.
It works best on dry, curly hair to give you 24-hour frizz-resistant curls.
Maui Moisture Curl Shampoo
Looking to define, detangle, and defrizz your thick, curly hair?
If so, this drugstore shampoo may be what you need. It particularly works best for high porosity hair that requires adequate hydration.
- The Maui moisture curl shampoo is formulated with plumeria extract, papaya butter, and is a coconut shampoo that work wonders to restore your curls’ shine and health.
- It is safe and does not contain silicones, mineral oil, gluten, parabens, synthetic dye, or sulfated surfactants.
Design Essential Natural Shampoo
This is the best drugstore shampoo for detangling and achieving curly hair.
It is recommended to detangle your hair from time to time.
- This shampoo has a sulfate-free formula nourishing and will cleanse your hair without stripping off the necessary hair oils.
- Impressively, it has detangling properties that will cut the detangling time by half. This makes it perfect for daily use.
- The shampoo is packed with natural ingredients like almond and avocado that easily penetrate the hair. It will leave your hair hydrated, feeling soft, and more manageable.
- Besides, it is safe to use for the whole family.
Carol’s Daughter Coco Crème Curl Quenching Shampoo
This creamy moisturizing shampoo can do wonders for dehydrated curly hair.
- It is a sulfate-free shampoo that provides adequate moisture to curly hair that requires extra moisture protection.
- The shampoo is infused with Carol’s Daughter Coco Crème recipe that adds deep moisture and enhances manageability.
- The formula contains ingredients like coconut milk, coconut oil, murumuru butter, and mango butter.
- The product is also sulfate-free and will give your hair that touchable softness.
DevaCurl One Condition Original
To make your curls soft and more manageable, proper hydration is essential.
The DevaCurl daily cream conditioner ensures this as:
- It is made from moisturizing olive oil and botanicals. It does an excellent job of locking in moisture, leaving it soft, shiny, and healthy.
- The conditioner is cruelty-free and vegan-friendly and is free of parabens, sulfates, wheat, and silicones. It can be used to eliminate frizz on all types of curly hairs.
- Additionally, it comes with a refreshing lemongrass scent that will give your hair a nice smell.
Moroccanoil Curl Enhancing Conditioner
If you are looking for a drugstore nourishing conditioner that will restore your curly hair’s shine and elasticity, consider the Moroccanoil conditioner.
This conditioner is designed to moisturise the curls while protecting and strengthening your sensitive scalps.
Its highly concentrated formula contains ingredients like Abyssinian oil, argan oil and vegetable proteins.
All these ingredients help detangle, nourish, strengthen, and protect the hair. Argan oil moisturises the hair and improves its elasticity.
The conditioner is also a perfect choice if you want your hair to have more volume and definition.
It is safe for colored hair and comes with a pleasant Moroccan oil scent.
SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Conditioner
Designed for thick, curly hair, the SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Conditioner help smoothen and restore dry hair.
It keeps hair hydrated and restores shine, giving your curls a beautiful and healthy look.
If you are struggling with tangles and knots, you will appreciate that this conditioner will eliminate them.
It is excellent for natural hair and will leave you with soft, shiny, and easy to style hair.
It is infused with both coconut oil and hibiscus to soften your hair and reduce frizz.
- Coconut oil features essential fatty acids to protect your hair from dryness.
- The other ingredient is hibiscus, which contains vitamin C to strengthen and promote hair growth.
OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Shampoo
If you are in the drugstore for an affordable shampoo that locks in moisture and gives you smooth, defined curls, then this shampoo may be what you need.
It is enriched with honey and hydrating coconut that will restore your curls and make them more manageable.
The formula works best for frizzy, curly, and coarse hair types.
It improves elasticity and calms frizz to give you that curlier look that you have always desired.
The ultra-rich formula will also make your hair look smoother and fuller. Plus, it will give your hair a pleasant smell.
Dove Amplified Textures Shampoo & Conditioner
This over-the-counter shampoo and conditioner is specially formulated to increase moisture to curly or wavy hair.
The combo is infused with aloe vera and is a great way to hydrate and add moisture to your hair.
The hydrating cleanse shampoo comes in handy when you want to do a quick cleanse.
It removes product buildup and restores shine, giving you clean and sober hair. It does this without leaving your hair dry or brittle.
DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser
This shampoo is formulated for curly hair that requires soft waves and weightless moisture.
- It produces a mild lather that gives a gentle cleanse and hydrates the scalp.
- It also provides moisture that effectively locks in hydration and leaves the hair soft, nourished, and thick.
- It works well for all curl types, whether wavy or curly.
After using this shampoo, your hair will be soft, shiny, bouncy, and easy to manage.
You also don’t have to worry about safety because it is silicone, paraben, and sulfate-free.
SheaMoisture Baobab & Tee Tree Oils Shampoo
This drugstore shampoo is specially formulated for low porosity and protein-sensitive hair.
Since low porosity hair lacks the ability to soak in essential moisture, this clarifying shampoo cleanses and hydrates low porosity curls that resist essential moisture.
The shampoo is silicone-free and infused with organic shea butter, tea tree oils, and baobab, making the formulation highly concentrated for removing product buildup.
The shea butter enhances hydration and scalp health while the tea tree oil moisturizes and soothes the scalp.
Quidad Curl Quencher (R) Moisturizing Conditioner
Detangle and define your curls with this drugstore conditioner from Quidad.
The product helps to boost curl manageability without causing any heaviness.
This is because it hydrates the curls from within.
- It is packed with protein, vitamins, and botanicals that get into your hair strands to seal in moisture.
- The high-quality ingredients are formulated to give different types of curls the hydration they need.
The conditioner also strengthens, softens, and protects weak or dry damaged hair.
If you want defined curls, this conditioner will do that for you.
The Mane Choice Detangling Hydration Conditioner
This is a detangling hydration conditioner that’s filled with detangling properties to reduce knots and tangles. It is accessible on the curls and promotes retention and hair growth.
Furthermore, it is enriched with avocado oil and biotin that ensures longer, thicker, and healthier hair.
Apart from moisturizing, this product also removes product buildup to give you clean hair and scalp. It does this while leaving the hair soft and shiny so you don’t have that stripped feeling.
Unlike some conditioners for curly hair, The Mane Choice detangling hydration condition contains no paraben, sulfate, or mineral.
Unite Boing Curl Conditioner
Unite’s curl conditioner is a lightweight conditioner that soften curls and works well with all types of curly hairs.
- It is packed with essential ingredients like rosemary and calendula which not only condition the hair but also support retain moisture.
- Also, chamomile moisturizes, soothes, and stimulates hair growth.
- The plant source oils and aloe vera helps hydrate the hair and enhance the curls. Hence, you will achieve curly hair that is easy to style.
This intense moisturizing conditioner penetrates deep into the hair shaft, allowing it to lock in moisture.
If you have curly hair, you will significantly benefit from sulfate-free products that are infused with natural ingredients.
You want a product that will deeply hydrate your already dry hair and keep frizz at bay without stripping off essential hair oils.
We hope that these reviews can help you find the best drugstore shampoo and conditioner for curly hair.