The 16 Best Cruelty-Free Shampoos and Conditioners
Published by Aida Turner
Fact checked by Annie
The practice of veganism has been gaining followers in this modern world. The neglect of meat doesn’t just translate on food selections only but in every facet of one’s lifestyle.
Unknown to many people, many products other than food are derived from animal parts and go through animal testing.
The cosmetic industry is guilty of such practice as most of their products are made from questionable ethical practices. Most manufacturers take their products through animal tests to check their effectiveness.
Fortunately, there are companies that produce cruelty-free products, including shampoos and conditioners.
Moroccanb Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
- Good option for colored and keratin-treated hair
- Contains thermal and UV protection
- Planety of vitamins and antioxidants
Alba Botanica Drink It Up Coconut Milk Hawaiian Duo Set
- Loaded with coconut oil
- Infused with fatty acids and proteins
- Tropical and calendula oils to provide heat protection
Sun Bum Revitalizing Shampoo
- Infused with coconut and sunflower seed oils
- Contains banana extracts for extra nourishment
- Packed with beneficial nutrients and vitamins
What to Look for When Choosing Best Cruelty-Free Shampoo and Conditioner?
When looking for the best cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners, there are certain considerations you need to put in mind.
These can be summarized into four factors as we will see below.
Certifications for Being Cruelty-Free
According to TopVeganChoice, it is easy for a manufacturer to cover up the ingredients and promise that their products are cruelty-free.
For this reason, accreditation from authorized organizations for veganism is important to guarantee the consumer that the product is cruelty-free.
Here are the logos of the 3 most important certifications you must look for when purchasing cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners:
- CCIC’s Leaping Bunny Logo
Leaping Bunny is authorized by the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics or CCIC.
This organization is based internationally and is mostly responsible for validating international cruelty-free cosmetic products.
- PETA’s Caring Consumer Logo
This is another recognizable organization for promoting veganism and probably the most popular.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals or PETA is a US-based organization that has a global influence on animal treatment.
Any product that doesn’t promote animal cruelty is surely deserving of PETA’s certification.
- CCF’s Rabbit Logo
Choose Cruelty-Free is an Australia-based organization promoting the use of cruelty-free products.
They have an authority to certify cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner because of the worldwide level of influence in terms of veganism and animal treatment.
Ultimately, these three logos must be present to call a product ‘cruelty-free’. Some don’t have the actual logo because that certain manufacturer hasn’t paid the necessary fees.
However, most vegan shoppers will rely on visual cues like logos.
Food and Drug Authority Approval
All commercially or privately used products that are sold to consumers are bound to be inspected by a nation’s agency on food and drugs.
- They ensure that the shampoo or conditioner will only get approval if it is safe for the human body when it serves its function.
- They make sure that the cosmetic products that contain toxic materials are not sold in local shops.
Even if the shampoo and conditioner contain no ingredients that are not related to ‘animal cruelty’ from a vegan’s perspective, it will not be approved if it doesn’t serve its purpose in cleaning the hair.
The scope of food and drug authority ranges from food ingredients to cosmetic products. The criteria for judging a product are based on scientific procedures; therefore, the approval given is absolute.
Cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners may be available in large supermarkets and vegan stores. However, they are not that popular since most cruelty-free brands are not as big as the major cosmetic corporations.
If your usual brand is out of stock, you may consider purchasing from another cruelty-free brand.
However, there is a high chance that you won’t be satisfied with the performance.
To prevent this, consider purchasing only from easily available brands. Besides, you can order online from stores like Amazon, etc.
Just like the regular shampoos and conditioners, cruelty-free products affect your hair differently from other people’s hairs.
Since the product lacks the ‘testing phase’, its effectiveness will only be based on the medical data. It all boils down to one’s preference and familiarity.
Top 16 Cruelty-Free Shampoo and Conditioner
Here are some of the best cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners in the market.
1. Moroccanb Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
This shampoo is a good option for colored and Keratin-treated hair that’s either curly, frizzy, thick, or thin.
It contains thermal and UV protection and provides nurturing vitamins like Vitamin E and nourishing antioxidants.
- Good option for colored and keratin treated hair
- Contains thermal and UV protection
- Infused with vitamins and minerals
- Loaded with nourishing antioxidants
Its greatest feature is the ability to hydrate and restore the hair’s moisture without the presence of harsh chemicals like sulfates.
The duo smoothens the hair and adds to its shine. The product is also cruelty-free, and the product doesn’t go through animal testing.
- Removes flakes and other impurities
- Doesn’t dry out your skin
- Prevents hair damage and breakage
- Dries out thin hair
2. Alba Botanica Drink It Up Coconut Milk Hawaiian Duo Set
This cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner set is made from coconut milk that aims to secure the hair’s moisture to strengthen the cuticles.
Along with the presence of the fatty acids and proteins, split ends are likely to be prevented.
- Infused with coconut milk
- Has fatty acids and proteins
- Contains tropical and calendula oils
- Provides heat protection
Other key components are the tropical and calendula oils that provide heat protection and keep the dry hair soft and well-nourished.
- Deeply cleanses and removes all the flakes
- Doesn’t dry ut your skin
- Moisturizes and nourishes your scalp with beneficial nutrients
- Doesn’t have UV protection
3. Sun Bum Revitalizing Shampoo
This product contains the necessary ingredients like banana, coconut oil, and sunflower seed oil to revitalize your hair.
These ingredients help in delivering intense moisture and deep nutrition to the hair while keeping it clean and hydrated.
- Coconut and sunflower seed oils
- Has banana extracts
- Provides needed moisture and nutrients
- Repairs damaged hair and reduces tangles
The vegan composition also helps in repairing damaged parts, reducing tangles, and providing frizz control.
Meanwhile, the banana component ensures that the hair has absorbed the nutrients to keep it healthy always.
- Leaves your hair smelling fresh and clean
- Helps with itching and flaking scalps
- Moisturizes and fights dried out skin
- Has sulfates
4. Natural Vegan Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set
This product allows growth for new set of hair strands which make it a great thinning and hair growth shampoo & conditioner.
Its repair and regrowth capability are made possible by ingredients such as argon oil, aloe vera, biotin, and coconut oil.
- Infused with argan and coconut oils
- Has aloe vera for extra moisture
- Contains biotin
- Works great with dry, damaged hair
All these ingredients help rejuvenate the damaged hair strands and prevent dryness of the scalp and buildup of dandruff.
Another imprortant component is the cassava root that provides nourishment from roots to tips.
Lastly, the Natural Vegan Hair Growth set is hypoallergenic.
- Creates rich, luxurious foam
- Cleanses all the impurities and moisturizes
- Leaves a fresh smell of peppermint and citrus
- Can be to oily
5. EcoLove – Natural Cruelty-free Shampoo
This shampoo is free from non-vegan components like SLS, petrochemicals, and parabens.
It claims that 95 percent of its ingredients are derived naturally and 30 percent of them are organic.
- Free of SLS, petrochemicals and parabens
- Lavender and blueberry scent
- Contains organic herbs and plants extracts
- Essential oils and 25 Dead Sea minerals
The shampoo gives off lavender and blueberry scents due to the enrichment from the organic herbs and plants extracts, essential oils, and the 26 ‘Dead Sea’ minerals.
- Keeps your hair healthy and shiny
- Moisturizes your scalp and leaves no flakes
- Protects your hair against dryness
- Can cause hair falling
6. Acure Curiously Clarifying Shampoo with Lemongrass
Infused with lemongrass, this cruelty-free shampoo provides gentle cleansing for everyday usage.
It does not contain any unwanted chemicals such as sulfates and parabens.
- No harsh chemicals spotted
- Argan oil for ultra hydration
- Contains coconut milk for nourishment
- Only natural ingredients used
Additionally, the Acure brand has a line of shampoos that use other key ingredients for specific purposes.
For instance, some shampoos have watermelon for a workout-prone lifestyle, argan for ultra hydration, coconut for smoothening, and many more.
- Deeply moisturizes your skin
- Provides all the needed nutrients for healthy skin
- Removes dried out flakes and ensures normal skin pH
- Doesn’t have the best smell
7. Aspen Kay Solid Cruelty-free Shampoo Bar
It is unusual for a shampoo to come in the form of a solid bar.
The uniqueness of the Aspen Kay shampoo bar also translates to its capabilities.
- Argan oil for extra moisture
- No harsh chemicals
- Uses lemongrass extracts
- Only contains organic herbs
This product is made from argan oil and lemongrass to provide the necessary cleaning and scalp protection without any presence of harsh chemicals such as silicone, sulfate, and paraben.
This shampoo bar also contains organic herbs to restore the hair’s natural strength by repairing any damage.
One bar is equivalent to 3 liquid shampoo bottles of 6 ounces each.
- Moisturizes and nourishes your hair
- Works best with dried out scalps
- Removes irritation and flakes
- Doesn’t work for oily and normal hair
8. Love Beauty and Planet Shampoo and Conditioner
If you are in the market for a cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner that restore shine, look no further than this product.
It is designed to provide a healthy shine while retaining the hair color. The fragrance comes from a Bulgarian handpicked rose petal that also aids in cleansing and moisturizing.
- Bulgarian handpicked rose petal extracts
- No harsh chemicals used
- Coconut oil as main ingredient
- Healthy and soft hair
The coconut oil ingredient is responsible for hair nourishment and vibrant color maintenance without any trace of harsh chemicals and hair dye components.
- Moisturizes and cleanses your skin
- Doesn’t brake or damage the hair
- Works perfect with normal types of hair
- Works bad with oily hairs
9. Hask Rose Oil + Peach Shampoo and Conditioner Set
This award-winning has more to offer other than the pleasant rose oil and peach scent.
It provides nourishment, revives color-treated hair, and restores moisture to keep the strands healthy.
- Perfect for color-treated hair
- Extra layer of defence
- Prevents color fading
- Pleasant rose oil and peach scent
The extra layer of defense maintains the hair’s vibrancy and prevents color-fading while reducing frizz and enhancing shine.
- Provides immediate comfort for dried out scalps
- Leaves an amazing peony scent
- Works with all types of water
- Can be to oily
10. Majestic Pure Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo and Avocado Coconut Conditioner Set
This shampoo and conditioner combo is perfect for all hair types.
The shampoo is made from apple cider vinegar while the conditioner is made from virgin coconut avocado.
- Apple cider vinegar usage
- Virgin coconut and avocado oils
- Removes buildups and dandruff
- Restores normal balance of hydration
It is great to remove buildups such as dandruff further to enhance the hair’s nourishment and scalp hydration.
The combo is also safe for dyed hair while restoring its shine and reducing the itchiness and frizz.
Plus, you can be at peace using it, knowing that it is cruelty-free.
- Moisturizes and fights flakes
- Leaves your hair silky smooth
- Makes your scalp more resistant to irritation
- Makes your hair frizz
11. Love Beauty and Planet Volume and Bounty Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner
The difference between this product and the previous Love Beauty and Planet product is that it aims to thicken and increase hair volume.
So if you’re looking for a shampoo and conditioner for hair growth and cruelty-free, let’s consider this set.
- Coconut oil usage
- Cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner
- Provides needed nutrients
- Extra moisturizing effect
The coconut oil component is responsible for enhancing hair volume by strengthening each strand.
The mimosa flower ingredient is present to energize the hair condition.
- Moisturizes and soothes your hair
- Protects and nourishes the scalp
- Helps keeping a natural balance of the scalp
- There’s no smell
12. Botanic Hearth Shampoo and Conditioner Set
For refreshing and smooth hair, the Botanic Hearth set is just the right choice.
The shampoo’s main ingredients are peppermint, lavender, and rosemary oil, while the conditioner’s main components are aloe vera, tea tree, silk protein, and orange fruit extract.
- Peppermint and lavender oil
- Infused with aloe vera and tea tree extracts
- Has silk protein and orange fruit extract
- Contains rosemary oils
All of them are scalp-friendly, and by utilizing the set daily, you can expect a refreshing hair.
It is perfect for all hair types and is accommodating to any hair color.
To prevent incurring allergies, dab a portion of the product on the elbow, and observe any rashes.
- Hydrates and strenghtens your hair
- Moisturizes the scalp
- Actively fights dryness and flakes
- Can cause allergies
13. Natural Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set
This product is made from 100 percent pure Moroccan argan oil.
Because of this component, the hair product set is capable of fighting hair dryness, frizz, and dehydration.
- Rich in antioxidants and vitamins
- Plenty of vitamin E and fatty acids
- Infused with argan oil
- Cruelty-free and sulfate free
The presence of Moroccan argan oil also promotes hair growth and reduces the buildup of flakes.
The formula is also rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E.
The hair product set doesn’t contain any sulfate and is cruelty-free. Plus, it is suitable for all types of hair.
- Boosts shine and moisturize
- Doesn’t leave inflammation untreated
- Fights scap dryness
- Has sulfates and artificial fragrance
14. OGX Thick & Full + Biotin & Collagen Shampoo & Conditioner Set
This cruelty-free hair product combo is rich in nutrients capable of powering up hair care abilities.
The set contains Pro-Vitamin B7 biotin and collagen that gives the hair strands a boost in volume, making your hair thicker and fuller.
- Perfect for dry, damaged hair
- Contains pro-vitamin B7
- Infused with collagen
- Protects against color-fading
It works on any common hair condition, including dry damaged, oily, frizzy, and color-treated hair.
- Perfectly moisturizes and nourishes your skin
- Doesn’t leave any untreated flakes
- Works great with sensitive skin
- Doesn’t condition very thick hair
15. Herbal Essences, Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner Kit
The kit from Herbal Essences contains about 90 percent ingredients derived from natural products.
It contains real botanicals, limitedly processed ingredients, and purified water.
- Contains no sulfate, mineral oil or parabens
- Jasmine and creamy vanilla scent
- Uses honey
- Contains purified water and real botanicals
The product set is designed to provide gentle cleansing and moisture even to color-treated hair.
The multilayered scents are due to the presence of jasmine, honey, and creamy vanilla.
Both the shampoo and conditioner contain no sulfate, paraben, mineral oil, dye and are cruelty-free.
- Moisturizes and hydrates your skin
- Works great with over-dried scalps
- Leaves your hair shiny and undamaged
- Not the best smell
16. ArtNaturals Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
Argan oil is a common ingredient used in top-notch hair products due to its restoration abilities and growth enhancement.
The ArtNaturals Organic is a great at argan oil shampoos and conditioners that provide significant benefits like preventing hair damage, frizz, and dehydration.
- Infused with argan oil
- Removes unwanted dirt and excess oil
- Prevents hair damage
- Fights against split ends
The combo also has a powerful moisturizing ability to wash all unwanted dirt and excess oil.
- Enhances hair growth with different nutrients
- Leaves your hair smelling nice and fresh
- Deeply cleanses and moisturizes your skin
- It makes your hair flat
Most of the cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners rely on essential oils since they are already medically proven to provide the hair’s essential vitamins and minerals.
Manufacturers have taken notes from the ancient people’s traditional hair products and adapt their usage to this modern era.
There is no harm in using regular shampoos and conditioners made from commercially giant corporations.
However, using cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners can help promote the cause of animal rights organizations.
If you are a vegan, then this article will serve as an informational guide for choosing the best cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners.
Moroccanb Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
Good option for colored and keratin-treated hair
Contains thermal and UV protection
Planety of vitamins and antioxidants
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!