The 15 Best Blue Shampoos for Brunettes
Published by Aida Turner
Fact checked by Annie
Do you know that brunettes go through the motions of waking up on random days to see their hair look a bit more fiery orange than a cool chocolate brown?
It happens whether you have natural brown hair or had your stylist color it that sultry, deep color.
Luckily, many shampoo brands acknowledge that brassiness is a problem for brunettes too.
Blue shampoos were eventually designed just for brunettes who deal with darker warm tones, like orange and red hues that cut through their luscious strands.
Why brunettes need blue shampoos and what are the best blue shampoos for brunettes? I’ll tell you right now!
MATRIX Total Results Brass Off Color-Depositing Blue Shampoo
- Neutralizes warm tones
- Sweet vanilla rose scent that lasts all day
- Moisturizes your skin
Joico Color Balance Blue Shampoo
- Lots of true blue pigments
- Goes perfectly with chemically treated hair
- Eliminates brassy and orangey tones
Fanola No Orange Shampoo
- Beneficial vitamins and minerals
- Helps add shine and smoothness
- Keeps your brown hair orange-free
Getting rid of brassiness in your brown hair
Brassiness is an issue for both bottle brunettes and those with virgin hair, but it’s ridiculously noticeable in chemically colored hair.
You can see warm tones enveloping your hair whether you chanced your entire base color to brown or put in some highlight sin your naturally dark hair.
Over time, the bleach and color chemicals in your hair start to fade slightly, and it ends up with warm undertones that weren’t there before.
It leaves your hair looking less natural and more of a burnt sienna color than a deep and rich brown.
Sun exposure is one culprit of brassiness, but it can also be because of oxidative stress from your environment. Whatever it is, the result is never pretty.
Fortunately, blue shampoos can neutralize these warm tones and remove brassiness from your locks altogether.
It’s formulated with blue pigments that “color” your warm tones, essentially correcting the color and bringing it back to a cool or at least neutral undertone.
Because brown hair is usually pretty dark, you get the advantage of using blue color-depositing dye shampoos to tone your hair as well.
These shampoos are designed to gradually color hair, but because your hair isn’t as light as blonde hair, you can get away with using blue variants to eliminate brassiness.
One last thing: Shampoos with pigments are known to be clarifying and drying on the hair, so make sure you replenish the moisture in your tresses by following up with a hydrating conditioner or a hair mask with coconut oil or shea butter.
Why brunettes should use blue shampoo instead of purple shampoo?
As soon as someone says “brassy tones” purple shampoo is probably the first thing on everyone’s minds.
But while they’re more popular than any other colored shampoos, blue shampoos are arguably a lot more helpful for brunettes.
Brown hair is dark, so even if it reflects unwanted yellow tones, the warmth won’t be as prominent as in blonde hair.
What you will see, however, are deeper warm tones in orange and red hues, which need something more intense than purple pigments—and that’s where blue shampoo comes in.
Do a quick internet search to pull up a color wheel. As you can see, purple sits opposite of yellow, the same way blue does with orange. These are the colors purple and blue pigments cancel out.
If you’re a brunette, you’re likely dealing with orange and red tones instead of yellows. Blue shampoo is perfect for you because it counteracts that deep warmth that makes your hair pull more copper than brown.
It would be best if you remembered that blue pigments stain a lot more than purple ones, so you have to be extra careful in handling blue shampoos in the shower.
Try to use gloves when washing with blue shampoo, and avoid white towels at all costs when drying your hair.
The 15 Best Blue Shampoo for Brunettes Reviews
1. MATRIX Total Results Brass Off Color-Depositing Blue Shampoo
If you have a lighter brown shade or have brown highlights, this is the perfect blue shampoo to use to maintain a cooler, ashy brown tone instead of one that looks too orange.
It cleanses your hair and scalp properly while neutralizing warm tones that could take away from the richness of your brown hair.
- Neutralizes brassy tones
- Refreshes your hair with cool tones
- Deposits blue -violet pigments
- Doesn’t dry out your hair
Results are noticeable in as fast as one application so that you can remove those unwanted orange streaks in a snap.
The sweet and fresh vanilla rose scent it leaves your hair is just the cherry on top of this fabulous formula.
See also: How to fix orange hair with box dye?
- Moisturizes your hair
- Leaves your hair deeply cleanse
- Doesn’t let orange tones mess up your style
- Leaves stains in the bathroom
2. Joico Color Balance Blue Shampoo
This Joico shampoo has what they call “true blue” pigments, so it has a neutral tone without making your hair look too ashy and pale.
It instantly eliminates any brassy and orangey tones in your hair to get you back to your cooler undertone.
- Green tea extract
- Lots of blue pigment
- UV absorbers
If you’re using this for chemically colored hair, you’re in luck.
This shampoo keeps 89% of your brown color or highlights from fading, extending longevity for up to eight weeks.
- Uses antioxidants to protect the color
- Helps fighting the fading and tonal change
- Instantly neutralizes orange tones
- Doesn’t lather so well
3. Fanola No Orange Shampoo
For brown hair that’s susceptible to brassiness, orange is the enemy.
That’s what Fanola takes to heart with this blue shampoo designed to completely annihilate any trace of orange or red in your brown locks.
- Coconut oil and flower extracts
- Nice, rich scent
- Improved hair health and scalp health
- Fantastic removal proprietes for brassiness and orange tones
It’s also terrific for restoring moisture in your hair, thanks to coconut oil that softens and conditions strands.
When paired with tiare flower extracts, it also helps add shine and smoothness to the hair.
It’s a fantastic replacement for a toner or an expensive lightening treatment at the salon. Use it regularly to maintain your orange-free brown hair effortlessly.
- Softens and conditions your hair
- Doesn’t leave any orange tones
- Helps with shyness and smoothness
- Can leave huge stains in bathroom
4. Redken Color Extend Brownlights Blue Shampoo
This Redken shampoo was made just for brunettes like you.
If you aren’t a natural brunette, it protects and helps extend your color vibrancy and lifespan for a few extra weeks.
The formula tones and corrects the color of your brunette hair if it’s pulling more on the red and copper side than the rich, luscious chocolate or mocha color you love.
- Deeply moisturizing effects
- Best for chemically treated hair
- Works great with color-treated hair
- Nourishing formula
Kiss brassiness goodbye in just a couple of washes.
This shampoo is formulated with no sulfates, so it’s gentle on the scalp and hair. It doesn’t strip it of natural moisture that keeps the hair shiny and healthy.
- Helps repairing damaged hair
- Keeps hair follicles healthy
- Moisturizes and nourishes hair follicles
- Might block head pores
5. Fudge Cool Brunette Blue-Toning Shampoo
All it takes is one wash with this blue-toning shampoo by Fudge Cool for your red and orange tones to be immediately erased from your otherwise pristine brown hair.
It’s infused with maximum strength micro-pigments in a rich blue, which combats brassiness and neutralizes warm tones in your hair efficiently and quickly.
- Reconstructs hair after chemical damage
- Beneficial oils and vitamins
- Healthy looking hair
- Max strength blue micro-pigments
It’s also designed with a unique Opti-Plex technology that repairs and reconstructs the bonds of your hair, keeping it healthy and more resilient to damage.
- Helps dealing with dandruff and itchiness
- Keeps hair follicles moisturized and healthy
- Completely erases orange tones
- Thick consistency
6. Not Your Mother’s Triple Threat Brunette Shampoo and Conditioner
This vegan blue shampoo by Not Your Mother’s uses blue tansy oil in place of harsh pigments to neutralize brassiness in your brown hair while adding some hydration and shine to your locks too.
It doesn’t contain silicones, sulfates, parabens, and other irritating ingredients that can be harsh as you cleanse your hair and scalp.
- Nourishing complex
- Doesn’t content silicones and sulfates
- Hydrating conditioner
- Softening abilities
This pack comes with a matching conditioner, which helps soften and moisturize the hair after you wash it.
It’s best to use the shampoo and conditioner in conjunction with each other to get the full effect of the Triple Threat Brunette line.
- Does a great deal toning orange hair
- Softens and moisturizes hair follicles
- Isn’t using irritating ingredients
- The content can get quite oily
7. Keracolor Color + Clenditioner in Blue
While this two-in-one shampoo and conditioner were designed primarily for gradually dyeing your hair gently, brunettes can use this blue variant to tone their hair and eliminate orange and reds in their locks.
It’s also formulated with conditioning agents to soften and protect your hair color.
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- Perfect for dry hair
- Helps with shyness
- Keratin for extra strength
There’s also keratin in the formula to help strengthen your hair.
The result is perfectly toned, strong brown hair you’ll finally feel confident in.
- Moisturizes and nourishes your hair
- Eliminates orange and red tones in your hair
- Adds strength and durability to your hair
- Does not help with split ends
8. Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
Aveda always uses natural essences from botanicals and flowers to enhance the natural beauty of your hair.
In this blue shampoo for Brunettes, they use blue malva to help eradicate warm tones that can distract and bothersome in your brown hair.
- Natural essences and oils
- Calming effect on your skin
- Fresh, minty scent afterwards
- Beneficial nutrients and vitamins
It’s the perfect shampoo to use if you want a super-cool tone in your hair because it provides a subtle sliver of brightness to your hair.
It also leaves your hair smelling fresh and minty, thanks to ylang-ylang and eucalyptus essences.
- Moisturizes and cleanses your skin
- Doesn’t brake or damage the hair
- Provides a super-cool tone in your hair
- Doesn’t wash heavily oiled hair
9. Vitamins Hair Cosmetics Keratin Purple and Blue Shampoo
This shampoo for Brunettes combines the power of purple and blue pigments to get rid of all undesirable warm tones, whether it’s yellow, orange, or red.
It’s also quite luxurious because of its moisturizing and strengthening ingredients. Keratin smoothens the hair while repairing it from damage.
- Moroccan argan oil
- Reduces frizzes and adds shyness
- Best for irritated scalps
- Plenty vitamins and nutrients
Meanwhile, Moroccan argan oil makes your hair soft and moisturized, adding gloss as well. It’s perfect for dry and damaged hair.
- Provides shyness and softness
- Gives your hair a nice scent
- Gets away all the warm tones
- You might not like the smell
10. dpHUE Cool Brunette Shampoo
This nourishing shampoo does more than correct the tone of your Brunettes hair—it replenishes your locks with much-needed moisture too!
This product is also the favorite one for gray hair to eliminate brassiness.
- Beneficial vitamins and fatty acids
- Quickly penetrates the hair
- Silk protein and hibiscus flower extracts
- Gorgeous shine
The gluten-free formula uses blue pigments to neutralize brassy tones as you wash your hair with its rich, satisfyingly creamy lather.
Silk proteins and hibiscus flower extracts work together to soften your hair and add a gorgeous shine that will make your hair look glowy and healthy.
It also adds brightness to your color and strengthens the hair shaft.
- Moisturizes and fights flakes
- Neutralizes brassy tones
- Provides a rich, creamy lather
- Can dry out your hair
11. Celeb Luxury Viral Color Depositing Colorwash in Denim
Here’s another coloring shampoo that dark brown hair can use as a toning shampoo.
Just make sure not to leave this shampoo in your hair for too long, or else you’ll find actual blue streaks in your locks!
- Toning abilities
- Shyness and smoothness
- No warm tones left
- Doesn’t dry out your hair
Cancel out those yellows and oranges with this blue shampoo, so you can flaunt cool brown tresses that don’t make you look too warm.
- Leaves no warm tones
- Deeply cleanses your scalp
- Doesn’t leave flakes or irritation
- Don’t leave it to much time in your hair
12. Punky Bluemania 3-in-1 Color Depositing Shampoo & Conditioner
This one is another color-depositing shampoo originally formulated for dyeing hair.
But because of its blue pigments, it can be beneficial for neutralizing brassy tones that are super warm and can’t be eliminated in one wash of ordinary blue shampoo.
- Shea butter extract
- Plenty of vitamin B and amino acids
- Rich nourishing effect
- Extra keratin for greater hair strength
What’s great about this shampoo is that it has rich nourishing ingredients to moisturize the hair, such as shea butter.
It also has strengthening ingredients like keratin, amino acids and vitamin B.
These all improve your hair’s elasticity and strength, giving it more bounce and shine as well.
- Moisturizes and deeply nourishes
- Improves hair strength and elasticity
- Gives more shine and smoothness
- Originally formulated for dyeing hair so be careful
13. DevaCurl No-Poo Blue Anti-Brass Zero Lather Curl Cleanser
Curly ladies with brown hair tend to stay away from color-depositing shampoos because it can dry their hair out.
But even if you have a no-sulfate rule, you can use this no-poo formula by DevaCurl, designed to wash out brassiness in brown, curly hair.
- No sulfate or parabens
- Blue lotus flower essence
- Gently washes while toning
- Best for curly hair
It gets its blue hue from blue lotus flower, which is essentially what gets rid of the brassy tones that leave you looking a bit disheveled.
This cleanser works to wash your hair gently while uniformly toning your brown hair.
- Doesn’t dry out your hair and scalp
- Perfectly washes brassiness in curly hair
- Uniformly tones
- Doesn’t have a pleasant smell
14. Pravana The Perfect Brunette Toning Shampoo
According to Pravana, perfect brunette hair means gorgeously toned locks with no brassiness as a distraction.
This blue-green shampoo works to counteract orange and red tones in your hair so you can regain that naturally cool and dark brown color.
- Sulfate free shampoo
- Cocoa butter and coconut oil
- Perfect for orange and red tones
The vegan, sulfate-free formula includes cocoa butter and coconut oil to nourish your hair and make it softer, smoother, and shinier.
- Nourishes your hair with beneficial oils
- Makes your hair look shinier and smoother
- Doesn’ leave any orange tones
- Can turn your hair greeny
15. HASK Blue Chamomile & Argan Oil Shampoo
This product is a shampoo was originally designed for blondes, but who better to benefit from its blue tint than brunettes suffering from brassiness?
This sulfate and paraben-free shampoo have blue chamomile to eliminate unpleasant warm tones that ruin your original brown base color or highlights.
- Beneficial vitamins and fatty acids
- Argan oil extracts
- Blue chamomile extract
- No sulfates or parabens
It also brightens your brown color, especially if it’s on the lighter, more ashy side. It also has argan oil to nourish the hair, adding hydration and luster back.
- Eliminates unpleasant warm tones
- Hydrates and moisturizes your hair
- Provides a rich, creamy lather
- Don’t let it on your hair for too long
Brunette hair is relatively easy to maintain, but once in a while, even healthy brown hair can have a few episodes of brassiness.
Whether your hair is a glowing caramel or a rich, deep chocolate color, it deserves to glow—it just needs a hand sometimes.
Zap away those red and orange tones that take away from the gorgeous glory of your brunette hair with any of the blue shampoos for Brunettes on this list.
They’ll help you bring back the cool undertone that makes your brunette hair the most sultry and stunning it can be.
MATRIX Total Results Brass Off
Neutralizes warm tones
Sweet vanilla rose scent that lasts all day
Moisturizes your skin
Founder & Hair Beauty Specialist
I’m Aida and this is my blog where I write mostly about beauty and make up related stuff, but I like to spice it up a bit with lifestyle and photography posts. Or with whatever that comes to my mind. Hope you will enjoy the reading enough that we will ‘see’ each other more often!